Mr Sherif Awad

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Obesity & Laparoscopic Surgeon, Honorary Associate Professor

3rd December 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I first spoke to Mr Awad on the phone and I was very surprised at how nice, calm and to the point he was. He really took the time to discuss with me the possibilities, the challenges I had faced in my past, the challenges I still faced, what I thought, letting me talk and exchange with him really truthfully - with an incredible openness. He proposed several solutions, also went into the details of the positive of me having the surgery as well as what the implications/complications could be. What I appreciated and really spoke to me is he never said it would be a "fantastic" surgery, or the most amazing thing of my future life, he explained and rationalised the great positives but also the possible complications gave me space to make my decision and think it through for myself. I wanted to meet him face to face as even though we spoke on the phone, I needed reassurance of who was about to operate me (if I did go with it) and putting a face to Mr Awad helped make the decision. Not only was he knowledgable but you could feel that he cared even though he was very impressive. So there I went, reassured, positive, hopeful for the future with an operation date booked. On surgery day - I was feeling very anxious, withdrawn, as if this reality was a parallel one that was not mine. But the nurses were so kind and patient, Mr Awad came to see me before the operation. He was serious but also smiling, reassuring to my mother and I, letting me ask any last minute questions, taking me through what was about to happen next. The anaesthetist also came - they do speak the truth of what is about to happen, the reality of it, the complications of it and your head spins but thankfully the smiles, the reassuring eye contact makes it a bit better. I walked to the theater and I cannot actually remember the details but Mr Awad, the anaesthetist, their two assistants - everyone had a kind smile, a reassuring touch, Mr Awad was also working as anybody else in the theater and helping and talking to me as he did so. The anaesthetist made me relax with a joke and next thing I knew I was back. I am very grateful for that entire team for taking so much care of me and my mother as she waited on the other side. Mr Awad came after the operation, several times, checked on me, checked everything was fine, checked that someone was picking me up. Answered my mom's additional questions (she had lots) with always so much patience and kindness. He was very down to earth on managing my expectations of weight loss too. I met him 6-8 weeks later and he was on point on the loss I would have and again still there, still patient, still happy to take the time, still answering my questions, still very intimidating but kind : )

16th November 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I first met Dr Sherif Awad in August and he made me feel comfortable, whilst providing me with the most devastating news. My weight was out of control and I was on the cusp of being diagnosed with diabetes. I was basically eating my way into an early grave. I was so upset as I was not aware that my weight had gotten so out of control. However, Mr Awad reassured me that all hope was not lost. We discussed the myriad of weight loss options and finally agreed on the gastric sleeve. Dr Awad was professional, explained in great detail and quite thorough. I felt at ease and confident in his skills to undertake the surgery. On the day of my surgery Mr Awad was equally the same, he came in and explained the pros and cons, he outlined the procedure. I was a bit scared but I took comfort from the wealth of knowledge that he possessed (after carrying out my own independent research) and although I was petrified, I trusted Dr Awad's expertise. Following the surgery Dr Awad returned to ensure that I was okay and this was followed up by a visit the next day.

11th November 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

Having had concerns about my health, I was looking to consult a gastrointestinal surgeon. I found Mr. Sherif Awad on the internet, sent him an email and received an appointment the following day. Following the consultation an operation was arranged two days later. I cannot fault the care and professionalism of Mr. Awad and his team. Mr. Awad is very friendly and approachable. He gave me reassurance and also confidence in the outcome of the operation. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr. Awad.

10th November 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

From the first moment I spoke to Mr Awad, I knew I wanted him to be my surgeon. The manner in which he spoke, the knowledge he hand and the kindness in his voice made him my one and only choice. I met Mr Awad on the day of my surgery, I’d been up most of the night and was starting to get really nervous, he listened to my worries and reassured me what the process involved and what was going to happen next. He was very thorough with everything he said and always made sure I understood before moving on. He came and saw my whilst I was in the anestecic room and admired my many tattoos, he ensured me that although he would have to go through one of my tattoos he would cut on the line as so not to ruin it. The little things like that are what makes him brilliant. After surgery he came and spoke to me, advised me I was doing really well and he would be back the next day. Sure enough he came back and I even got to see pictures of my stomach through the operation which really put things into perspective. Mr Awad and his team have done an incredible job. They have changed my life for the better and I wouldn’t ever change a single thing. Highly recommend mr Awad to all bariatric patients, he is wonderful and choosing him will be the best thing you ever do! Thank you again Mr Awad, I’ll never be able to show you how grateful I really am xx

30th September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I decided i needed to act on my weight that was seriously starting to effect my day to day living, taking my kids out, feeling low in myself. I started searching all different surgeons and luckily for me i found Mr Award..!!! I sent over a online enquiry and within half an hour i was speaking to Mr Award who asked me my reasons for wanting surgery etc, he made me feel at ease from the minute i spoke to him and helped me decide on the surgery that would best suit me and my life style. I didn’t need to think twice about it and booked it there and then. I got the confirmation and was booked in just 2 weeks later, on the run up to my surgery i had calls of all his team making sure i was ok and if there was anything i needed. I travelled up to The hospital on the 9th may 2018 ready for my operation on the 10th, i went over to the hospital on arriving had bloods and other tests done before meeting Mr Award in person, he was lovely and made me feel so confident i had made the right desicion. The following morning i went back to the hospital, i was taken in to a beautiful room with everything i needed, writhing half hour Mr award was in talking me through what would happen and with all this i still felt at so much ease. The ladies where i. and out checking on me etc all so lovely.I me the anesatist infancy i met everyone who would be involved in my surgery. I was taken to theatre at around 9:30 after the op nurses where second to none i’m my care. The following day i was on my was home and feeling a little tired, for the next 3 days i was tired but surprisingly not in pain, the odd niggle but nothing i couldn’t bare. Then 1 week later i returned to work obviously on light duties so i didn’t pull my stomach. The gastric sleeve i had has changed my life immensely, family members tried to talk me out of it but i went with my own choice and i have never looked back, 5 months in nearly i am now just short of 5 stone lighter, eating fine obviously smaller portions. My family are all over the moon with my confidence boost. I feel amazing, my anxiety is now 0 and i don’t feel ugly in myself, i’m wearing clothes i used to look at and wish i could wear. The after care i get still to this day is amazing and i’m not one to just say that, i can honestly say i have no complaints what so ever. Mr Award what can i say i even have him mobile incase i need to contact him direct..!! he is amazing at what he does and a truly lovely person who cares about his patients. I would recommend Mr Award and his team to anyone out there, i have been. i was size 18 back in may and now i’m a 12 going in to 10. This man has changed mine and my family’s life for the better he is my hero and i will be forever grateful to him and all his staff. Thanks to you all Nicola Debnath-warren

Short link to review Mr Sherif Awad: http://iwgc.net/egaov