Mr Sherif Awad

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Obesity & Laparoscopic Surgeon, Honorary Associate Professor

30th September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I decided i needed to act on my weight that was seriously starting to effect my day to day living, taking my kids out, feeling low in myself. I started searching all different surgeons and luckily for me i found Mr Award..!!! I sent over a online enquiry and within half an hour i was speaking to Mr Award who asked me my reasons for wanting surgery etc, he made me feel at ease from the minute i spoke to him and helped me decide on the surgery that would best suit me and my life style. I didn’t need to think twice about it and booked it there and then. I got the confirmation and was booked in just 2 weeks later, on the run up to my surgery i had calls of all his team making sure i was ok and if there was anything i needed. I travelled up to The hospital on the 9th may 2018 ready for my operation on the 10th, i went over to the hospital on arriving had bloods and other tests done before meeting Mr Award in person, he was lovely and made me feel so confident i had made the right desicion. The following morning i went back to the hospital, i was taken in to a beautiful room with everything i needed, writhing half hour Mr award was in talking me through what would happen and with all this i still felt at so much ease. The ladies where i. and out checking on me etc all so lovely.I me the anesatist infancy i met everyone who would be involved in my surgery. I was taken to theatre at around 9:30 after the op nurses where second to none i’m my care. The following day i was on my was home and feeling a little tired, for the next 3 days i was tired but surprisingly not in pain, the odd niggle but nothing i couldn’t bare. Then 1 week later i returned to work obviously on light duties so i didn’t pull my stomach. The gastric sleeve i had has changed my life immensely, family members tried to talk me out of it but i went with my own choice and i have never looked back, 5 months in nearly i am now just short of 5 stone lighter, eating fine obviously smaller portions. My family are all over the moon with my confidence boost. I feel amazing, my anxiety is now 0 and i don’t feel ugly in myself, i’m wearing clothes i used to look at and wish i could wear. The after care i get still to this day is amazing and i’m not one to just say that, i can honestly say i have no complaints what so ever. Mr Award what can i say i even have him mobile incase i need to contact him direct..!! he is amazing at what he does and a truly lovely person who cares about his patients. I would recommend Mr Award and his team to anyone out there, i have been. i was size 18 back in may and now i’m a 12 going in to 10. This man has changed mine and my family’s life for the better he is my hero and i will be forever grateful to him and all his staff. Thanks to you all Nicola Debnath-warren

18th September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I have been waiting to add my review until I was further through my journey so that I can share all aspects of my journey so far, I am now 4 months post sleeve op and I cannot recommend Dr Awad enough, he was recommended through the Tonic group who have also been a huge support! Pre Op I had a first telephone conversation with Dr Awad who filled me with confidence around my decision as well as explaining all aspects of the surgery and journey that I would be on, including the aspects that are a challenge, nothing was hidden so I felt very well informed. It was important to me to have the support from my family so I asked for a face to face consultation so that a family member could attend to hear about the procedure the pros and cons as well as expected results and benefits. Dr Awad’s approach to this meeting was friendly, informative and felt very relaxed putting me at ease he made it a comfortable discussion and ultimately helped the understanding of my family so that they could support me. I also took the opportunity to see the wards and meet the nurses so that I knew what to expect on the day. I then received my pre op diet and was on my way to a better life. Op day I attended Derby hospital early as I was one of the first on the list. Dr Awad came to see me and we had a quick chat again offering me re-assurance and being clear with what to expect, the team around him including all of the nurses are superb and well trained in his approach and expectation which again demonstrates his passion around his work. He has strict guidelines to follow to enable a quicker recovery and believe me they work, he was clear with me around me taking a dip on day two and how I would feel and oh yes I did feel awful but again he came to see me 3 times that day to re-assure me this is normal and will pass so keep going and keep positive, he was right! I went home on day 2 and although I felt fragile I felt confident in what to expect as well as what I needed to do to improve my recovery. He wrote to my doctors explaining the procedure and again the aftercare support I would need, he even gave out his mobile number to me and my doctor in the letter in case of any questions which I felt added a really personal approach. Post op I had my 12 week check in and again Dr Awad was super positive and complimentary in what I have achieved so far, you can tell that he genuinely is proud of what he can do for people and is clear again with what to expect and how to challenge myself, I am looking forward to seeing his again. I have felt super positive throughout this process and have so far lost 3.5 stone (only 1 stone away from my target). I am now regularly exercising and am feeling great in life, I have a completely different outlook in life and would highly recommend this to anyone that has struggled with weight loss or keeping weight off throughout the years, it’s not easy but it really does work if you utilise it fully.

16th September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

Mr Sherif Awad has been friendly, understanding and incredibly professional throughout my entire experience. From the initial consultation, he based my circumstances against the outcome I wanted and helped me decide upon the course of treatment, which while different to my original thinking, based on his expertise made more sense and through clear and well-presented explanations re-enforced the recommendation and gained my full confidence. It is clear that Mr Sherif Awad is at the top of his profession, and this has shone through in the fast and efficient procedure I received. In conjunction with the package, I received from Tonic and the care of the Derby Private Care team; I do not believe there is anything I would suggest needs improving.

31st August 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

Dr. Awad has been great from the start till the end of the procedure. He has been clear in the information provided at initial consultation which allowed me to make an informed decision. He was detailed in his explanation of the surgery before and after the procedure. Dr. Awad has also clearly explained all the post op recovery processes and medicines along with answering any doubts I had in a clear and simple way that i could process and manage at home. Dr. Awad also has a team of wonderful staff at the Royal Derby Hospital that looked after me to the highest standards of care that I could expect.

14th August 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I have recently had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy performed by Mr Awad. From my first consultation to the day of my surgery Mr Awad treated me with the utmost care, respect and consideration. He explained everything about the surgery and post operative care in detail and answered any questions I had. He has a wonderful bedside manner that helped allay any nervousness I felt prior to the procedure. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr Awad to anyone as a competent, caring surgeon.

Short link to review Mr Sherif Awad: http://iwgc.net/egaov