Mr Sherif Awad

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Obesity & Laparoscopic Surgeon, Honorary Associate Professor

Written by a carer at Royal Derby Hospital

Sherif operated on my Dad in June 2017, after a nail biting round of tests to stage the cancer and assess fitness levels for surgery. Sherif told us from the beginning what a massive operation my Dad was facing, which helped to mentally prepare the family. He was so compassionate and drew our attention to the mental challenges which lay ahead, not just the physical toll the surgery and recovery would take. On the morning of the surgery, Sherif talked to my Dad and family again, about what was going to happen. He then rang me at eight o'clock in the evening when he had finished, to say that Dad was in recovery (after six hours in surgery) and being well looked after by the anaesthetist on the team. We were so enormously grateful for the call, and to hear Sherif say that he had done 'a good cancer op' - he had removed everything he could see that was physically possible to remove. He said he had 'done his best'. What more can you ask for? Luckily Dad was able to have key hole surgery for the first part of the procedure, and I'm sure this helped with his recovery. There followed two hard weeks in hospital but we know that Dad was watched carefully and the surgical team - including Sherif - visited him regularly during this time. There was a different hurdle every day for Dad but the team explained everything to us in detail, and offered reassurance and confidence. Dad went back to hospital six weeks after his operation for a consultation. The results of the biopsy were available and worse than the staging tests showed. Sherif explained this to us all with incredible humility. Of course, he doesn't know if Dad's cancer will come back, but he explained that for many people with this type of cancer, it does. This level of honesty was critical for our family, and Sherif totally got that. Dad has made an exceptional recovery from the surgery. He has very few issues with eating - his appetite has returned to normal and his weight has stabilised. We went for a five mile bike ride last Friday - not bad for someone who is 82 and had his oesophagus removed in June. He is active every day in mentally in a very good place. Sherif is clearly very skilled at his job. But it was his level of compassion and empathy that made my Dad's journey a positive experience. As a family we all recognise this and we are so very grateful to him for the extension to my Dad's life.

Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

Mr Awad took the time to listen and speak quite sympathetically about my reasons for wanting surgery. He also explained that my weight loss may not be as quick/much as i hoped ,due to the medication i have to take on a daily basis, that is known to cause weight gain and increase in appetite, Other Dr's have often implied that I use this as an excuse. Mr Awad explained the procedure in great detail and the pre and post op commitments that i needed to make, to ensure the desired outcome of the procedure. I was impressed with the pre/post op care, whilst in the hospital. Mr Awad visited to tell me what was going to happen, ie; blood tests time of going to theatre, pain relief, and after care, and all these things happened on time and exactly as he said they would. The day after surgery Mr Awad came to see me on the ward, and explained exactly what he had done and showed me photographs of my procedure and again went through protocol of post op, including lifestyle changes, medication and follow up appointments. also the amended notes he needed to send to my G.P. as the blood tests he arranged had discovered a medical condition that i was not aware of but did need further investigation , which confirmed to me that he had done a full and comprehensive set of tests, again very reassuring.

Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I had my operation to remove my oesophagus in June 2017, four and a half months ago. I am 82. I have made a very good recovery - I went my first five mile bike ride last week. I am working in my workshop some days and have just made a park bench seat for my daughter. I was in hospital for two weeks. When I got home I had a regular phone call from the nurse specialists to see if I was OK. Since I had the operation I have lost two stones but my weight has now stabilised at 12 stone 2 pounds. I can go out for a meal now and I just have one course. No problem. The care I received from Mr Awad has been very good. He visited me about every day in hospital and gave me confidence in a time of need. My overall experience of the hospital, operation and aftercare was first class. The NHS is worth every penny. Thank you for saving my life. Peter Walters, Crich.

Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

I can highly recommend Sherif Awad. From the initial consultation he carefully and clearly explained the gastric bypass procedure. My operation went really smoothly, and my recuperation was easier than I imagined. Mr Awad gives great advice, which is designed to optimise the outcome for patients. As a whole the process was really positive for me and has been incredibly beneficial. It really couldn’t have gone any better, and I am so grateful to Mr Awad. He is experienced, skilled and supportive of his patients, and I am glad I chose him for my surgery.

14th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Derby Hospital

Mr Awad listened to my concerns, understood what I needed, explained all of the options open to me so that I was able to make an informed decision. Mr Awad is very approachable and I felt I could ask him any questions. His written correspondence covered everything we had discussed. The team at the Derby Private Health unit were excellent. The care was exemplary, the unit immaculately clean and every single member were happy and polite. I Can honestly say nothing needs improvement. Wonderful and OUTSTANDING . Highly recommend.

Short link to review Mr Sherif Awad: http://iwgc.net/egaov