Mr Sanjaya Wijeyekoon

Mr. Wijeyekoon is a specialist surgeon based at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital. He trained at the Universities of Cambridge and London with qualifications and research degrees from the University of Cambridge, St Bartholomew's and London School of Medicine and Dentistry, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the London School of Economics. In 1999 he was awarded a Department of Health Research Fellowship, based at the Clinical Effectiveness Unit of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He was the principal investigator for the United Kingdom National Liver Transplant Audit for over two years. He has represented the Royal of College of Surgeons of England in an expert advisory capacity with several national health regulatory organisations including the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Prior to taking up his appointment in Bournemouth, Mr. Wijeyekoon held Consultant positions for over four years starting at the Academic Surgical Unit of the Royal London Hospital and then Homerton University Hospital, London. His operative results are published by the Association of Coloproctology Great Britain and Ireland. He has a wide range of experience in the management of general surgical, cosmetic and colorectal conditions. His experience also includes treating officials and athletes at the 2012 London Olympic and Para-Olympic Games.

24th June 2017
Written by a patient at The Bournemouth Private Clinic

I met Mr Wijeyekoon this year due to me needing bowel surgery . Mr Wijeyekoon was very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable in his field, he put my mind at ease about the procedure he was to perform. On the day of the surgery Mr Wijeyekoon came to see me calmly talked me through what he was going to do .The surgery went well and he visited 2or 3 times a day while i was in hospital to make sure all was well expertly advising me on the way . I would throughly recommend Mr Wijeyekoon,he showed great care and compassion through out the time he was looking after me I can't thank him enough.

4th May 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Bournemouth Hospital

I cannot write enough superlatives about this wonderful surgeon. His expertise,kindness and professionalism is totally outstanding. He gave unselfishly of his very precious time in order for me to understand the procedure that I needed to treat my colorectal cancer and then followed that through by skilfully operating and giving me my life back. The follow up care has been no different. Words cannot express how deeply thankful I am to this amazing man.

24th February 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Bournemouth Hospital

I am a Sierra Leone in the West Coast of Africa.I am a medical doctor working in Sierra Leone. It was a pleasure to meet Mr.Wijeyekoon at Derwent Building Bournemouth Private Clinic (BPC) at The Royal Bournemouth Hospital on Friday 16th December 2016 at about 15:00 hrs. Before this time, I have never heard of or met with Mr. Wijeyekoon. I was very much impressed with his communication skills and love for his job. Even though, I was seeking medical care, but I was not desperate for surgical intervention at that time. The reception I receive from this fine gentleman on the 16th December, 2016 (a date that I will not forget so soon) motivated me to do the surgery immediately. I was admitted as a day case, had my surgery done under local anaesthesia and discharged home after two hours. His skills are superb, full of knowledge and strength and of course love for mankind. I count myself very lucky and fortunate to meet Mr. wijeyekoon. May God continue to keep you going by the day and may the love for your profession continue to grow

25th January 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Bournemouth Hospital

I was swapped to this surgeon just before I had colon surgery for diverticulitis. I had not met him before surgery. He visited me afterwards and came and saw me 7 days out of the 8 I had to remain in the hospital. A month later I was readmitted for gallstone pancreatitis and he saw me by chance on the ward. He spoke to the doctors and also checked me over again. Honest, straight forward and caring. Not only that, my scarring is minimal and tidy. I could not recommend him enough. Bournemouth is lucky to have such a talented professional. Thank you.

3rd January 2017
Written by a carer at The Bournemouth Private Clinic

My mum was diagnosed with rectal cancer in August last year. It was the typical nightmare for any surgeon. A technically difficult major procedure because of how low the cancer was and the fact that the patient is the mother of a colleague. I didn't know Mr Wijeyekoon personally but everyone I asked spoke very highly of him both as a surgeon and as a person. He took it upon himself to arrange for everything like it was his own mother, from hospital appointments to scans to MDT meetings to pre-op assessments etc. My mum is a very sensitive person and it is always difficult to treat a colleague or a colleague's family member but Mr Wijeyekoon struck this balance perfectly. Follow up was perfect, passed by her everyday in hospital after the operation and arranged to see her regularly after discharge. Four months down the line and after 2 major procedures my mum is cancer free and recovering very well thanks to Mr Wijeyekoon.

Nearest Cosmetic medicine specialists