Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. Mr. Purkayastha is also collaborating with teams to introduce artificial intelligence and machine learning systems into the operating room environment to improve outcomes and was the first surgeon to do this live in the operating room in 2018. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

15th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I highly recommend Dr Purkayastha. He operated on me with very short notice due to an emergency issue with my appendix and made me feel very calm and well looked after throughout. I am very grateful to Dr. Purkayastha's professional yet kind approach and have no hesitation in recommending him and his staff to others.

15th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

A few years ago, I was taken in an ambulance to St Mary's suffering from severe abdominal cramps which turned out to be an intestinal obstruction. Prof Hana and Sanjay Purkayastha were on duty that day. They saved my life.... The bowel had become ischemic...and they carried out a very successful resection. I have no doubt in my mind that if not for them and their level of competence, the situation would have been fatal. Sanjay is thoroughly professional, kind, capable and helpful. A total gentleman too.

3rd October 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I wish to thank Sanjay and his team at St Mary's for his excellent and thorough care of me during my recent gall bladder surgery. I was totally at ease and was able to relax in the knowledge my health was in very safe & expert hands. Sanjay explained the procedure very clearly and always checked in to ensure any of my queries or concerns were addressed.

3rd October 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Great surgeon, very professional yet understanding and approachable.

7th August 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I was a patient suffering Acid reflux for more that 15 years my GP tried every antacids all failed. After being referred to Mr. Sanjay Purkayastha, he explained to me the Fundoplication how it works, he reassured me 100% that everything will fine during and after surgery. I was given a date for operation, January 2018 I had Fundoplication done, I recovered well, no more burping, food coming back into the mouth or burning in the chest like before. Mr. Sanjay advised to lose weight and change my diet I took his advise and I managed to lose 10 kg. Before I weighed 80 Kg. He is the best surgeon at St Mary's and World wide for acid reflux and other problems that have read on his profile. I wish he could live 200 years and continue helping patients like he helped me. I'm happy with the results, I no longer panic when I'm in public place or at work, I can eat and drink without fear of acid reflux ever again. Shakila.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu