Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

7th August 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I was a patient suffering Acid reflux for more that 15 years my GP tried every antacids all failed. After being referred to Mr. Sanjay Purkayastha, he explained to me the Fundoplication how it works, he reassured me 100% that everything will fine during and after surgery. I was given a date for operation, January 2018 I had Fundoplication done, I recovered well, no more burping, food coming back into the mouth or burning in the chest like before. Mr. Sanjay advised to lose weight and change my diet I took his advise and I managed to lose 10 kg. Before I weighed 80 Kg. He is the best surgeon at St Mary's and World wide for acid reflux and other problems that have read on his profile. I wish he could live 200 years and continue helping patients like he helped me. I'm happy with the results, I no longer panic when I'm in public place or at work, I can eat and drink without fear of acid reflux ever again. Shakila.

14th May 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Firstly I would like to say that Mr Purkayastha is the most caring, kind, patient and thoughtful surgeon I have ever met in my life! He is so understanding and listens to you as an individual. After having a tough time he was always there to listen to me and guide me in the right direction. I do not know what i would of done without him during my bariactric surgery journey. I had so much trust in him and I knew what ever he decided was always the best choice for me as a patient. Mr Purkyastha is extremely professional and always respected me as a patient during my time at St Mary's Hospital. Thank you so much for everything! You are truly amazing and I know you will always continue care and look after patients in a respectable and professional manner.

1st May 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

He is a very good surgeon who gave good advice and took into consideration my views. When I had an operation I was well taken care of as well.

11th April 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Excellent experience with Mr Sanjay Purkayastha. He's friendly, attentive, methodical and takes the time to investigate the underlying cause of one symptoms. I've had an operation (laparoscopic surgery) and the wounds are impossible to see already 2.5 weeks after the operation! Easy recovery too.

10th April 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Having spent many years taking medication to manage a reflux condition I decided to investigate the surgical option and was referred to Mr Sanjay Purkayastha. From day one, my every question was answered clearly and in a way that could be understood – cutting through the medical jargon - and even drawing a diagram to help me visualise the possible procedures. We discussed options and it was decided to go ahead with two procedures in one operation, Laparoscopic Fundoplication & Laparoscopic repair of hiatus hernia. On the day of the operation I saw Mr Purkayastha before and after the operation and also other members of his team. I was treated with respect and further questions regarding the success of the operation were answered. Every appointment I had along the way was a good experience and I felt I was part of all the discussions and that Mr Purkayastha listened to me. It made a huge difference. Today, I had my follow up appointment after 6 weeks and I was very keen to see Mr Purkayastha just to be able to say to him how happy and how much my life has changed for the better. I’ve been medication free since, I can now sleep again and the added bonus was that I lost weight, which in turn kick started my healthier eating.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu