Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

30th November 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Dr. Sanjay is very helpful, understanding to the patient. He listens patiently the patients' complaints of their health & sicknesses.Give complete sympathetic replies on all medical aspects. Plus very simple in understanding him.Absolutely co-operative and give full moral support to the patient before going for operation. He has done surgery for me for Incissisonal Hernia very well and after care in the hospital was done very properly & with complete satisfaction. Also with complete monitoring by on duty team of doctors. Full moral support given to recover through out the stay in the hospital. I will always and totally recommend him for the future operations to patients, St. Mary;s hospital should take pride to have such surgeons in their medical team of operations. Hospital gets tremendous respect from the people who come across for hospital treatments. I earnest wish the Surgeon doctor Mr. Sanjay Puryakastha and his team best of luck in their future operations at the hospital. Thank you St. Mary's hospital to have such wonderful team of doctors. With my Kind & Warmest Regards to the staff and team of Doctors of this St. Mary's Hospital.

11th October 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I'm so very happy that I met a doctor/ surgeon Dr Sanjay Purkayastha who believed in me. As my first surgeon dismissed me after performing my baractric sleeve. Dr Purkayastha could see my woes of having mobility issues he backed me. So last August 2015 he preformed revisional baractric surgery to the Mini Bypass. Which at today appointment has been a great success. I have lost 30% of my weight which my surgeon said was exceptional. So I would recommend Dr Sanjay Purkayastha to anyone who wants Baractric Surgery his your man.

7th June 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Dr. Sanjay Purkayastha is a highly intelligent man with incredible experience. He is very patient and he is always very attentive and reassuring. His attention to detail is unbelievable, and he is good.

11th May 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Dr Purkayastha and his team provided excellent care during my operation and I would like to express my gratitude and I wish him great success..

24th March 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I don't live in Uk but I came 9 months ago due to an unsuccessful operation that lead to many complications out of which is large abdominal hernia. I went first to one of the well known hernia centres in London but they said i would need a combined surgery (open and laparoscopic) approach and they were not able to accept my case due to the complixity of the hernia. I have been then refered to Mr. Purkayastha at the St. Marrys hospital Lindo wing. At first, Mr Purkayastha was a great listener and he went thoroughly into the cercomestances. After having good understanding about my case he spent good time with me explaining what went wrong and how he is is going to fix it. He took me through the details of how he is going to deal with the surgery in a simplified manner. He has also explained to me about other cases he treated that are more complicated than my case. For me, after going through a bad surgery in the past it was very important to me to gain confidence again. And to do so, I had to have enough time understanding every aspect of the treatment. And I also had several second opinions that supported his approach. Finally, At the day of surgery Mr. Purkayastha explained to me again what he is going to do. And my operation have lasted for about 4 hours. The operation was successful and I left hospital after 3 days.post operation it was very important stage and to me as important as the operation. Mr. Purkayastha was always available to respond to my needs promptly. I saw him last week for elective follow up and as always Mr. Purkayastha is pushing me hard for a better healthy living. I really can't thank Mr. Purkayastha enough. I really appreciate the care I have recieved from every one in his team. His team members are so caring namely his PA and the staff at the Lindo wing. Thank you once again Mr. Purkayastha.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu