Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. Mr. Purkayastha is also collaborating with teams to introduce artificial intelligence and machine learning systems into the operating room environment to improve outcomes and was the first surgeon to do this live in the operating room in 2018. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

20th August 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Mr Purkayastha has been exceptionally kind and skilled in managing and curing my recent illness. He has explained every stage and issue and arranged concurrent investigations and consultations to ensure my on-going health. He has also been very aware and empathetic of the issues affecting my home life. I have felt truly cared for throughout my time under his care and I could not ask for anything more or better. His personal assistant, Marcela has also been extremely kind and efficient.

15th August 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

What an incredible man! I approached mr purkayastha as the NHS was not prepared to help in view of the risks. On first meeting Mr Purkayastha was already fully conversant with my complex medical history, explained why the NHS practitioners had been reluctant to help but he felt there were some risk mitigation actions and was prepared to go ahead provided no reason not to was highlighted by his key multi disciplinary team.. He was extremely thorough, personable, explained things very clearly, was assertive where necessary, took total control of my care throughout the process and came up with creative workaround where My body made things more challenging. He took personal responsibility fir my well being at huge expense to himself, walking me like a hawk post operative my when I wasn’t behaving as expected. I cannot thank mr purkayastha for listening to Me, being prepared to take me on and making such a big difference to my life quality. My family and I had total trust in him and are eternally grateful!

10th July 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Mr Purkayastha has been respectful and sensitive in the manner he addresses me, I feel like an individual who is able to actively participate in the care and that has been provided. I applaud the whole department including the reception staff, nurses and Dieticans . I am truly grateful.

28th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

After emergency life changing operation Mr Purkayastha was the surgeon who carried out the operation. I woke up to minimal of scarring and alive. Mr Purkayastha took the time out of busy schedule to talk to my family and explain and reassure them all of what had happened and the surgery undertaken and the implementations of what will happen next when this could of easily be passed to someone else. When I went back for my follow up I was meet quickly and was recognised immediately which was very reassuring, by the Mr Purkayastha which makes me fill very reassured with the care I am getting and I'm not a faceless name on a list. In my after care which was very professional and set my mind at ease as Mr Purkayastha explained everything in detail and in layman terms which I could understand. This is what makes the NHS great doctors like this. Nothing but praise for him and his team Thank you

15th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I highly recommend Dr Purkayastha. He operated on me with very short notice due to an emergency issue with my appendix and made me feel very calm and well looked after throughout. I am very grateful to Dr. Purkayastha's professional yet kind approach and have no hesitation in recommending him and his staff to others.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu