mr-sanjay-purkayastha

Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Written by a NHS patient at St Mary's Hospital
15th February 2021

This was a second opinion for me as I had a bypass in Surrey and had pain on eating and severe nausea, I had been passed to St Marys as my local hospital had run out of options, my 1st appointment at St Marys the consultant took an interest and I really felt he was going to help me, he was thorough very caring and I felt like he wanted to help me get better, after numerous tests he had asked for it was noted I had 2 hernias and possible candy cane, the only thing left to do was go into the stomach and have a look this was done very quickly and I am so glad I did he found and repaired the hernias, my new stomach had shifted up and I had few nip and tucks of the original bypass, he was sure I would feel better and after being discharged the next day he then called me to check I was OK which I am the stomach ache and nausea have both gone I am no longer on anti sickness drugs. I cant thank him enough this surgery has given me my relieve of daily pain and constant sickness, bariatric surgery is vital and it gives people their live back, I live with severe Fibrolamgia and ME and the tummy pain and sickness ontop of my other elements was a lot to deal with, so I am greatful to him for taking time and listening to me 100%

27th January 2021

He is very attentive to detail and compassionate. Tries to plan realistic care plans goals for which I’m appreciative

4th November 2020

I have found Dr Sanjay Purkayastha to be extremely professional and accomplished in his approach to his patients. He is welcoming helpful and takes the time to listen and explain the various issues to do with a particular health situation. He is open and approachable and makes you feel safe and comfortable under his care. Dr Purkayastha and is Team in Bariatrics and in Endocrinology, namely Dr Saira Hameed, do remarkable work to help and care for their patients, restoring their health and giving them their lives back. In the Bariatrics waiting area at St Mary's Hospital there is a plaque praising the Department and citing it as a Centre of Excellence. I could not agree more.

2nd April 2020

I met Mr Sanjay as an emergency patient. I was comforted with his thorough explanation of his course of action. I believe he is an excellent and kind doctor who showed me great care and patience before & after my operation.I was reassured with his post operative care and close eye until I went safely back to my country.

16th March 2020

Highly knowledgeable expert who was able to resolve my acute issues as well as provide practical follow on care advice. I would highly recommend Mr Purkayastha, who is a highly respected fellow in his field of expertise. You are in the best hands for sure!

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Clinical Senior Lecturer (associate professor) at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in bariatric and metabolic surgery, assessing the health of healthcare organizations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He has been the consistently highest volume surgeon at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery); as well as carrying out revisional bariatric surgery and providing second opinions for complex cases from other centres. Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. Mr. Purkayastha is also collaborating with teams to introduce artificial intelligence and machine learning systems into the operating room environment to improve outcomes and was the first surgeon to do this live in the operating room in 2018. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu