Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. Mr. Purkayastha is also collaborating with teams to introduce artificial intelligence and machine learning systems into the operating room environment to improve outcomes and was the first surgeon to do this live in the operating room in 2018. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

10th July 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Mr Purkayastha has been respectful and sensitive in the manner he addresses me, I feel like an individual who is able to actively participate in the care and that has been provided. I applaud the whole department including the reception staff, nurses and Dieticans . I am truly grateful.

28th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

After emergency life changing operation Mr Purkayastha was the surgeon who carried out the operation. I woke up to minimal of scarring and alive. Mr Purkayastha took the time out of busy schedule to talk to my family and explain and reassure them all of what had happened and the surgery undertaken and the implementations of what will happen next when this could of easily be passed to someone else. When I went back for my follow up I was meet quickly and was recognised immediately which was very reassuring, by the Mr Purkayastha which makes me fill very reassured with the care I am getting and I'm not a faceless name on a list. In my after care which was very professional and set my mind at ease as Mr Purkayastha explained everything in detail and in layman terms which I could understand. This is what makes the NHS great doctors like this. Nothing but praise for him and his team Thank you

15th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I highly recommend Dr Purkayastha. He operated on me with very short notice due to an emergency issue with my appendix and made me feel very calm and well looked after throughout. I am very grateful to Dr. Purkayastha's professional yet kind approach and have no hesitation in recommending him and his staff to others.

15th May 2019
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

A few years ago, I was taken in an ambulance to St Mary's suffering from severe abdominal cramps which turned out to be an intestinal obstruction. Prof Hana and Sanjay Purkayastha were on duty that day. They saved my life.... The bowel had become ischemic...and they carried out a very successful resection. I have no doubt in my mind that if not for them and their level of competence, the situation would have been fatal. Sanjay is thoroughly professional, kind, capable and helpful. A total gentleman too.

3rd October 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I wish to thank Sanjay and his team at St Mary's for his excellent and thorough care of me during my recent gall bladder surgery. I was totally at ease and was able to relax in the knowledge my health was in very safe & expert hands. Sanjay explained the procedure very clearly and always checked in to ensure any of my queries or concerns were addressed.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu