Mr Sanjay Purkayastha

Sanjay Purkayastha is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in Bariatric & Upper GI Surgery. He is also a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College, London. His research interests are varied and include surgical education especially digital mobile technologies, clinical research in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, assessing the health of heathcare organisations, single port laparoscopic surgery and surgical evidence synthesis. He has a busy general surgery practice both for elective (planned) surgery and emergencies which include working as a trauma surgeon in one on London's busiest Major Trauma Centres at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London. He was also one of the first surgeons in the UK to carry out robotic Bariatric surgery. He is one of four surgeons at the Imperial Weight Centre which is a Tier 3 and Tier 4 service for weight loss management and surgery for obesity. He routinely carries out gastric bands, sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses all laparoscopically (key hole surgery). Mr. Purkayastha provides all his Bariatric data to the NBSR (National Bariatric Surgery Registry) as he is a believer of transparency of results and outcome/volume based surgery ensuring the safest and best results for patients. His general surgery practice includes laparoscopic surgery for hernias of all kinds, gall bladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery (surgery for treatment of severe heartburn) as well as emergency surgery work outside trauma that includes management of conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, hernia emergencies and the management of many other conditions that present with abdominal pain. His NHS practice is at St. Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London and he also sees patients there privately on request in the Lindo Wing where Prince George was born in 2013 and Princess Charlotte born in 2015.

16th February 2018
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I had been referred to Dr Purkayastha by my GP while there were suspicion of appendicitis. From the moment I met him everything got organised very quickly and I had my appendicitis removed as well my hernia fixed within a day. Dr Purkayastha has been very supportive and making sure I was fine before and after the surgery. He has this capacity to listen to the patient that is rare as well as the time that he spent providing me clear explanations about my condition and what would need to be done. I even got back to him later in the year when I was feeling extremely tired as he is by far the only doctor that I could trust. I would definitely recommend him. and the all team at St Mary's.

29th November 2017
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

At every appointment I was treated with respect and dignity which is hugely important. I had read quite a few negative stories about people’s experiences following surgery but felt reassured at every step of the process about my decisions and the operation itself. Because of how I was treated I had trust and I was not really nervous about the surgery. I followed every bit of advice I was given and didn’t experience any pain following surgery and my recovery was excellent and returned to work after 2 weeks.

10th November 2017
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

I Was referred to Mr Purkayastha when I began having trouble with my gastric band (which was fitted privately at another hospital). Dr Purkayastha was brilliant right from the start and instantly made me feel he knew what course of action was best for me. I had surgery to remove the failed band and had a mini bypass. It was 14 months ago and I have already passed the expected weight loss target, my BMI is now a healthy 21.4. I have avoided a hip replacement which is great news as I’m only 47! My only regret is I didn’t have this surgery sooner. I have been so impressed by the team as a whole through my journey at the Imperial. Everyone has been wonderful and I would recommend anyone thinking of changing their life for the better with this surgery to go for it. It really has been a total success for me.

2nd May 2017
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Written on 02.05.2017. After many years of weight problems along with other medical problems I was offered and subsequently elected to have a mini gastric bypass surgical procedure, this took place in June 2016, my surgeon Mr Sanjay Purkayastha was fantastic. From day one at my initial consultation, he explained all the different types of procedure in full, I had already taken time to research these and had made my preferred choice before seeing him. He totally agreed with my choice and an appointment was made for my surgery. He is a caring, understanding man, who I immediately trusted, he is experienced in this field and would highly recommend him. I am now in my 10th month post-surgery and have just had my first check up with him. He was extremely pleased with my progress, I have lost some 46kg ( approx. 7.5 stone), it hasn't been that easy and I had some difficulties at first, but the Bariatric team at St. Mary's Hospital is second to none and together we have got through them. For anyone who reads this, if you are thinking of having this procedure, take it from me, it was the best decision I have ever made.

9th December 2016
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

By the excellent care and organisation of his staff, Mr. Purkayastha saved my life. His expertise as a surgeon is not to be dismissed. My case was difficult, and required agile thinking in order to manage my case. He ensured that I was always informed, even when the news wasn't welcome as my case took time to resolve. His constant attention, appropriate confidence, and attentive listening helped me keep my confidence in the team and strength as I struggled through a long illness. In addition, I admire the ability of Mr. Purkayastha to manage a large team of medical students with appropriate focus on their education and my care always attending to my privacy and comfort. Mr. Purkayastha has a humbleness about his manner which is rare in a surgeon. This sets him apart and he should be encouraged to continue to teach his treatment philosophy to his students.

Short link to review Mr Sanjay Purkayastha: http://iwgc.net/eftnu