I am a Consultant Urological Surgeon having been appointed in 2003. I have extensive experience in most aspects of Urology and have done thousands of operations as a consultant. Cancer surgical cases are audited nationally by BAUS. I also have interests in minimally invasive surgery and enhanced recovery programmes which I instituted at our unit. I am keen to provide holistic empathic care to all my patients and their families. I did my Medical School training at St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School (University of London) from 1985 to 1991 and achieved a First Class Honours Intercalated degree. My postgraduate training in Surgery and Urology was undertaken at Leicester, Oxford and Bristol. This included a dedicated period of Research when I ran a national Laser prostatectomy trial. I have published extensively and presented academic papers all over the world. I have a keen interest in medical education and have been a Director of Medical of Education, Deanery Tutor as well as a Foundation Programme director. I am an associate Professor of Urology at AUC. I have been a Clinical Director, Lead and Cancer Lead Surgeon for several years. I have sat on several Royal College of Surgery committees including the FRCS Urol exam setting group and the Invited Review mechanism for clinical governance. I have many interests outside of Medicine which hopefully make me a better Doctor.

• Urology

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

24th November 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

In January, 2014, I spent 6 days as an in-patient at King George Hospital after suffering a urinary tract blockage. Just prior to discharge I was informed my situation would be monitored re further treatment. Shortly after I received letter of appointment to see a urology surgeon/consultant, i.e. Mr Gujral, at Queen's Hospital. My wife and I attended with a good deal of concern and trepidation. As always, Mr.Gujral spells it out as it is however serious, and then promptly displays his years of experience, dedication and compassion that I found so reassuring, calming and the feeling I was in safe and caring hands. Truly a gift that not everyone has. As a result of the consultation, at the end of March, 2014, Mr. Gujral successfully removed my left kidney, together with a rather large tumour - described as a 'challenging procedure'. I also understand that due to the size of the tumour, Mr. Gujral had to delve deeper so as to re-align certain organs that, over time, had been displaced by the ever-growing tumour.Clearly this man saved my life, what more can you say other than he is a credit to his profession. Great credit must also go to NHS staff of Iris Ward, whose dedicated skill and care aided my recovery enormously. Altogether some wonderful teamwork by all concerned - a credit to their respective professions. Richard Fountain

23rd November 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

I am delighted to have this opportunity to gratefully thank Mr. Gujral, his surgical team and the staff of Iris Ward, King George Hospital. I've thought long and hard about how to best describe my experience, after all, what can you say about the man that saves your life. Undoubtedly he and his team applied their 'magic' and did just that for me. I understand it was a very 'challenging procedure', from which I have made an excellent recovery. Wonderful teamwork by all concerned , who are a great credit to their respective professions. My initial problem was a painful urinary tract blockage, six days as in-patient with catheter, finally discharged and told I would be monitored. This occurred January, 2014. Shortly after a letter arrived with an appointment to see a urology surgeon/consultant, i.e.Mr. Gujral, at Queen's Hospital. Attended with considerable concern and trepidation, met Mr. Gujral for the first time, who in his usual manner thoroughly explained in detail the extent of my condition and what he proposed.It is at these times that Mr. Gujral displays his years of experience, dedication and empathy that is so reassuring, calming and makes you feel you're in safe and caring hands. As a result, at the end of March, 2014, Mr. Gujral removed an infected left kidney, together with a rather large tumour. I understand that due to the tumour size further work was needed so as to re-align certain internal organs that had been displaced by the ever-growing tumour.

30th October 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Hartswood Hospital

I had a routine PSA blood test on 1st June 2017. The reading was 4.9. My GP opted to be very thorough and made me an appointment to see Mr Gujral at King George's hospital, Goodmayes. Although my count was not extremely high, Mr Gujral sent me for an MRI scan, which was done at Hartswood hospital, Brentwood. The scan showed some suspicious areas within my prostate. As a result of this, Mr Gujral performed a biopsy at Hartswood. The biopsy indicated that there were cancerous areas in the prostate. He then organised an appointment with a cancer specialist nurse. She spent over an hour going over all the options that Mr Gujral had explained after the biopsy. As a result of my discussions with both Mr Gujral and the cancer nurse, I felt sufficiently well informed to make my choice of treatment. My decision was to have surgery. I had to choose between robotic and open surgery. After further discussion with Mr Gujral I opted for the open surgery because he felt that he would be able to take greater care of the nerves. The day after the operation, Mr Gujral visited me and said that he had been able to save the nerves on the right hand side. After six weeks, I had a blood test which showed my PSA count to be zero. Not only was the count right down but also I was able to report that after the catheter was removed,I had no leakage or any other embarrassing incidents, often associated with the operation. I am now getting stronger as I recover from the operation. I have nothing but praise and gratitude for Mr Gujral, not only for his skill in the theatre, but also for the kind, efficient and professional way in which all our consultations were held. Thank you for all you have done for me.

9th June 2017
Written by a carer at King George Hospital

My wife aged 72 years had a non functioning kidney (Nephrectomy) removed by Mr.Gujral at King George Hospital on Thursday 1st June 2017. I was most impressed when we first met Mr.Gujral in April particularly by how he was making the forthcoming operation seem such a formality with no real need to be worried. I had researched the internet for suitable surgeons and Mister Gujral jumped right out at me. He informed us that he had removed in excess of over 200 kidneys and from that original meeting we never looked back. The Nephrectomy was successful and quite unbelievably she was up on her feet within 36 hours and discharged after 48 hours with two of the keyhole entry points hardly visible now with the third and larger incision healing very nicely with no fear of infection. I found Mister Gujral to be most approachable, firm, decisive yet compassionate and would without hesitation recommend him to anyone considering this type of surgery.

12th January 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Hartswood Hospital

I had a very professional experience with Prof Gujral. I was seen very promptly and everything was explained to me in a clear and understandable manner for the layman. He is obviously very experienced in his field and has vast knowledge of the subject. I would highly recommend this consultant for prostate cancer related issues for and impartial advice re the best way forward. I choose radical prosectomy as the best option for me but all other options were explained clearly and carefully. He does not beat around the bush but tells you how it is in a professional and caring manner . Phil Truscott

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Short link to review Mr Sandeep Gujral BSc (1st Class Hons) MBBS (London) FRCS (England) FRCS (Urology) FEBU: http://iwgc.net/eegg4