Written by a member of staff at Wycombe Hospital
30th July 2019

Brilliant surgeon. He is thoughtful, knowledgeable, caring, concise, well connected professionally and has an excellent ‘bedside manner’. It is reassuring to know that he practises the latest techniques and procedures by attending international conferences.

Written by a patient at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
26th April 2019

I was suffering from let sided ptosis (droopy eyelid) which was affecting my vision - especially at night. Whilst most other doctors I'd spoken to over the past few years recognised that I had a ptosis I didn't feel that they really appreciated how much it was affecting my vision. I was referred to Richard who immediately tested my peripheral vision which showed that it did indeed impact my vision. I had day surgery under sedation which was extremely successful. I can now see so much better - my night vision has improved dramatically and I can now read at night. Not only was the surgery successful but Richard successfully aligned my left eyelid with the right! There was little swelling and bruising and after having the sutures removed this week, the scar is barely visible. I can't recommend Richard highly enough. Not only is he brilliant but he is extremely personable. Alison C

Written by a patient at BMI The Chiltern Hospital
20th April 2019

Mr Scawn treated me for Thyroid eye disease and completed lid surgery to reduce the ‘bulging’ of one of my eyes. I was apprehensive at first as there was such a difference between my two eyes and I couldn’t see how my eye would ever look ‘normal’ again. However, I needn’t have worried as Mr Scawn did such an amazing job - my eye looks just like the other one and I no longer feel self conscious about my eye. Mr Scawn is extremely professional and also lovely. I would recommend him highly to anyone considering him for treatment for Thyroid Eye Disease.

Written by a patient at BMI The Chiltern Hospital
4th April 2019

This was my first ever medical procedure so I was a little apprehensive but Mr Scawn was incredible throughout and helped to make this as un-traumatic as possible. I had a procedure called Dacryocystorhinostomy to treat a blocked tear duct and although the surgery sounded overkill for a relatively minor condition the result and impact to my daily life has been amazing. Only people who've experienced constant watery eyes will understand just how much that can affect you & I am so grateful to Mr Scawn for his care and skill in carrying out the procedure & giving me my normal vision & a normal life back. The most incredible thing was that I experienced zero pain following the operation. Nothing, I didn't have to take a single painkiller, which when you read what's involved seems unbelievable. Anyway, thank you Mr Scawn & I would recommend him to anyone without hesitation.

Written by a patient at Bupa Cromwell Hospital
3rd March 2019

I had huge problems with my left eye that would not stop watering. I am 55 and assumed it was ageing and that there wouldn’t be much anyone could do. Richard listened very carefully to my concerns. He performed two procedures in one op under a LA. One was to widen the tear duct and the other to tighten my lower eye lid to stop tears spilling out. I have a tiny scar in the outer corner that even I can hardly see and I know it’s there. The difference has been quite extraordinary and I cannot thank him enough.

Nearest Ophthalmologists