mr-rathnam-sundaram

Mr Rathnam Sundaram

20th November 2021

I visited Mr Sunderam in severe pain , walking was difficult and sleeping worse.. He diagnosed the problem and through his secretary Janet Blomer scans and xrays were quickly arrange.. Janet keep in touch with me every step of the way, very reassuring. The treatment was quickly arranged and carried out by Mr Sunderam. I'm very pleased to report a successful conclusion, within 24hr I was walking without a stick.

16th November 2021

I have been under the care of Doctor Sundaram for the last year he was helpfull, informative, put me at my ease and above all told me everything that would happen and was very honest. I had back surgery for which I am delighted at the outcome A very likeable man easy to talk to i wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone in need of surgery

7th November 2021

From beginning to end my experience was amazing. Mr Rathnam filled me with confidence, and everything he said was 100% true, everything he said, happened. On the day of the procedure I was obviously nervous but he reassured me. After the operation he came to see me and told me everything went to plan. He even came to see me on Sunday, to see if I was alright. The hospital and the nurses were brilliant, I felt so comfortable with them, and the food was unbelievable. A few weeks later, when I went back to see Mr Rathnam, I laid on the bed, he ask me to raise my left leg and said "that is remarkable" Since the operation my quality of life has improved, I can do so much more now than before. That's all down to Mr Rathnam and his team. (I take my hat of to you)

7th November 2021

Mr Sundaram was charming and sorted me out promptly. I also much appreciated the help and efficiency of his assstant Jan

Written by a NHS patient at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
3rd November 2021

He explains everything really clearly and gives you time to think before asking if you have any questions. He has changed my life with his amazing skills and I will be eternally grateful for the freedom he has given me to live without pain after being disabled by the pain and restrictions by back caused me for over 12 months.

Mr Rathnam Sundaram was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Mr Sundaram was appointed as a Consultant Trauma, Orthopaedic and Spine Surgeon in Gloucestershire in 2010 and has received world class extensive training and experience. He graduated from the University of Leeds Medical School and trained in the Liverpool Region, Nottingham and Exeter. He is the Spinal Lead for Gloucestershire Hospitals and works very closely with his other 25 Consultant Orthopaedic colleagues as well the neurology and oncology specialists in the NHS and private sector. He also maintains a close relationship with the General Practitioners throughout Gloucestershire and the neighbouring counties as well as other health care professionals such as physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths, and knows how working with a team best helps patients’ recovery. Mr Sundaram’s practice consists of both emergency and elective spine conditions. The majority of the emergency work is for metastatic tumours, spinal fractures, spinal infections, cauda equina syndrome and progressive cord compression. The elective work is mainly for sciatica, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, cervical radiculopathy and myelopathy. More details are on his website www.itsmyspine.co.uk. Details of his practice data are also available on the national PHIN website https://www.phin.org.uk. He is recognised by all health insurance providers. Mr Sundaram undertakes more than 3000 patient consultations per year, making him the most experienced spine surgeon in Gloucestershire as his NHS and private practice exposes him to the vast array of both elective and emergency spine pathology. In 2015 Mr Sundaram was appointed as the Spine Lead in Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust. Since then, following the new guidelines there have been many positive steps forwards within the service development, such as - A reduction in the variation in spinal surgery - Lowered length of stay postoperatively - Reduced spinal implant costs, saving £400000 year on year since 2015 for the NHS Trust - A reduction in re-operation rates - A reduction in unnecessary spinal injections These achievements have led him to receive 3 Clinical Excellence Award, as well as being shortlisted for the People’s Choice Award and Team of the Year Award which he was delighted to be involved in. From November 2016, there has been a significant national change in the management of spinal disorders led by the Getting it Right First Time (GIRFT) project, NICE and the British Association of Spine Surgeon (BASS). This has led to better management of patients and the reduction of spinal procedures which have limited clinical benefits. This is not rationing by the NHS or by private insurance companies, but has been implemented to reduce ineffective procedures and improve the quality of the interventions we are delivering to further improve patient care. Mr Sundaram has received numerous testimonials from patients which are posted on his website http://www.itsmyspine.co.uk/testimonials/. Patients can also write reviews on the website ‘I want great care’ for any Consultant which he is thankful for the number of positive reviews on https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-rathnam-sundaram. As Mr Sundaram has both an NHS and Private Practice, he is able to see all patients regardless of their financial situation. Patients who see him privately who’s insurance policy or funding has expired, or self-pay patients can easily transfer to the NHS under his care without a problem. Mr Sundaram has developed an excellent reputation over the years amongst his colleagues and patients and is determined to give the best quality of care to them. Mr Sundaram is a keen sportsman, he played national level tennis as a junior and plays regularly with his 2 children. He also enjoys running, gym work and Pilates.

Short link to review Mr Rathnam Sundaram: http://iwgc.net/efisn