mr-rathnam-sundaram

Mr Rathnam Sundaram

Written by a private patient at Winfield Hospital
30th July 2021

After 18 months of severe sciatic pain, which ruined my quality of life, an operation to stabilise my lower spine has ensured that I am now completely free of the pain. Mr. Sunderam explained in great detail the procedure I would undergo, all the risks and likely outcome. He answered all my questions in great detail. Because of this I was able to make an informed decision. The treatment I received from Mr. Sunderam and his staff was faultless. The post operative care was, and continues to be, superb.

Written by a NHS patient at Winfield Hospital
23rd July 2021

I cannot speak highly enough of Mr Sundaram. He is an amazing surgeon. I had spine surgery six weeks ago and my world has changed. From the moment I came round from the anaesthetic, the pain radiating down my legs had gone, it has still gone. My ability to stand and sit down has improved and my mobility is significantly more stable. He asked me all the right questions and heard my answers which has led to a superb outcome.

Written by a NHS patient at Cheltenham General Hospital
13th July 2021

I first saw Mr Sundaram privately at the Nuffield in Cheltenham in 2019 a few weeks before my wedding (at which point I could barely sit and was sleeping on the floor). He assessed my condition and explained what was going on using the results of my MRI scan. I was in a great deal of pain and I was shown empathy and care. I was given various options to treat the issue and was told surgery was a last resort (instantly trusted a surgeon that doesn't want to solve everything with surgery!). I appreciated the honesty. He was able to offer treatment on the NHS (steroid injection), which I elected for, or privately if I couldn't wait that long. He recommended specific medication to assist with the pain, and was a able to intervene when I had issues obtaining a prescription (I was not registered with a GP and Rath expedited the process for me). I have since seen Mr Sundaram twice more, at Cheltenham General in 2020 and at Cirencester Hospital this year. We have also spoken by phone and his secretaries have been polite and communicative. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mr Sundaram to anyone experiencing back pain, we are lucky to have him as part of our local NHS offering in Gloucestershire.

Written by a private patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital
7th July 2021

Mr Sundaram carefully considered my back problem and after examining Scans and discussing how the problem might be sorted, he gave advice on possible surgery/ risks for and against. Leaving me fully aware and able to come to a suitable decision. I found him to be kind, considerate and careful. The outcome to my spinal L4/5 decompression has left me pain free, something I have not enjoyed for many years and now 7 weeks on from 19th May 2021 things are getting better by the day. I have no hesitation in recomending his services for anyone with this problem.

Written by a NHS patient at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
27th June 2021

I found Mr Sundaram attentive and sympathetic, talking me through my surgery and putting my mind at rest. I was very happy with the treatment and aftercare by all at the Winfield hospital

Mr Rathnam Sundaram was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Mr Sundaram was appointed as a Consultant Trauma, Orthopaedic and Spine Surgeon in Gloucestershire in 2010 and has received world class extensive training and experience. He graduated from the University of Leeds Medical School and trained in the Liverpool Region, Nottingham and Exeter. He is the Spinal Lead for Gloucestershire Hospitals and works very closely with his other 25 Consultant Orthopaedic colleagues as well the neurology and oncology specialists in the NHS and private sector. He also maintains a close relationship with the General Practitioners throughout Gloucestershire and the neighbouring counties as well as other health care professionals such as physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths, and knows how working with a team best helps patients’ recovery. Mr Sundaram’s practice consists of both emergency and elective spine conditions. The majority of the emergency work is for metastatic tumours, spinal fractures, spinal infections, cauda equina syndrome and progressive cord compression. The elective work is mainly for sciatica, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, cervical radiculopathy and myelopathy. More details are on his website www.itsmyspine.co.uk. Details of his practice data are also available on the national PHIN website https://www.phin.org.uk. He is recognised by all health insurance providers. Mr Sundaram undertakes more than 3000 patient consultations per year, making him the most experienced spine surgeon in Gloucestershire as his NHS and private practice exposes him to the vast array of both elective and emergency spine pathology. In 2015 Mr Sundaram was appointed as the Spine Lead in Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust. Since then, following the new guidelines there have been many positive steps forwards within the service development, such as - A reduction in the variation in spinal surgery - Lowered length of stay postoperatively - Reduced spinal implant costs, saving £400000 year on year since 2015 for the NHS Trust - A reduction in re-operation rates - A reduction in unnecessary spinal injections These achievements have led him to receive 3 Clinical Excellence Award, as well as being shortlisted for the People’s Choice Award and Team of the Year Award which he was delighted to be involved in. From November 2016, there has been a significant national change in the management of spinal disorders led by the Getting it Right First Time (GIRFT) project, NICE and the British Association of Spine Surgeon (BASS). This has led to better management of patients and the reduction of spinal procedures which have limited clinical benefits. This is not rationing by the NHS or by private insurance companies, but has been implemented to reduce ineffective procedures and improve the quality of the interventions we are delivering to further improve patient care. Mr Sundaram has received numerous testimonials from patients which are posted on his website http://www.itsmyspine.co.uk/testimonials/. Patients can also write reviews on the website ‘I want great care’ for any Consultant which he is thankful for the number of positive reviews on https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-rathnam-sundaram. As Mr Sundaram has both an NHS and Private Practice, he is able to see all patients regardless of their financial situation. Patients who see him privately who’s insurance policy or funding has expired, or self-pay patients can easily transfer to the NHS under his care without a problem. Mr Sundaram has developed an excellent reputation over the years amongst his colleagues and patients and is determined to give the best quality of care to them. Mr Sundaram is a keen sportsman, he played national level tennis as a junior and plays regularly with his 2 children. He also enjoys running, gym work and Pilates.

Short link to review Mr Rathnam Sundaram: http://iwgc.net/efisn