mr-rathnam-sundaram

Mr Rathnam Sundaram

Written by a patient at Cheltenham General Hospital
28th September 2020

Both myself & my wife have been treated by Mr Sundaram over many years. We have always found him to be very pleasant, helpful & efficient. He has operated on my neck at the Winfield hospital & not only was it successful, but he made me feel quite relaxed about having it done. Everything was explained very well all the way through. We have seen him privately as well as on the NHS & both ways he has left us feeling completely confident that his advice is what's best for us.

23rd September 2020

I started to suffer severe leg pain in both legs earlier this year, caused by a cycle accident when I was a teenager many years ago and which was not properly treated at the time. Despite the lockdown I was referred to Mr Sundaram very quickly, and in July he performed a procedure on my lower spine which cured the problem in a matter of days. This involved removal of part of the damaged disc in order to relieve trapped nerves and muscles. He was kind and considerate throughout and I cannot recommend him highly enough.

16th August 2020

I had a disc decompression procedure on 15th June and it was carried out by Dr Sundaram ,after 18 months of pain and discomfort I would say it's been a success and am indebited to Dr Sundaram and his team for their expertise and care, Philip sharlott fairford glos

12th August 2020

Mr Rathnam Sundaram was an excellent Spine Surgeon. He was very clear and concise when talking over my condition and treatment he wanted me to have. He explained things well and happily answered all my questions. The procedure I had went smoothly and he continued to explain what he was doing throughout. He ensured I was at ease all along the way.

Written by a patient at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
4th August 2020

My wife and I both have been treated by Dr. Sundaram in theatre, in my wife's case for complex spinal surgery, and in both cases we found him to be quite exceptional in the level of care and skill he provided for us. He has a wonderfully relaxed and friendly manner which put us both at ease and he was extremely thorough in the diagnosis procedures and tests he arranged for us. Although quite obviously very busy he never seemed short of time for us and showed his considerable experience in offering treatment. It was always a pleasure to consult him and I don't think the whole experience could have been improved. Very, very satisfied.

Mr Sundaram was appointed as a Consultant Trauma, Orthopaedic and Spine Surgeon in Gloucestershire in 2010 and has received world class extensive training and experience. He graduated from the University of Leeds Medical School and trained in the Liverpool Region, Nottingham and Exeter. He is the Spinal Lead for Gloucestershire Hospitals and works very closely with his other 25 Consultant Orthopaedic colleagues as well the neurology and oncology specialists in the NHS and private sector. He also maintains a close relationship with the General Practitioners throughout Gloucestershire and the neighbouring counties as well as other health care professionals such as physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths, and knows how working with a team best helps patients’ recovery. Mr Sundaram’s practice consists of both emergency and elective spine conditions. The majority of the emergency work is for metastatic tumours, spinal fractures, spinal infections, cauda equina syndrome and progressive cord compression. The elective work is mainly for sciatica, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis, cervical radiculopathy and myelopathy. More details are on his website www.itsmyspine.co.uk. Details of his practice data are also available on the national PHIN website https://www.phin.org.uk. He is recognised by all health insurance providers. Mr Sundaram undertakes more than 3000 patient consultations per year, making him the most experienced spine surgeon in Gloucestershire as his NHS and private practice exposes him to the vast array of both elective and emergency spine pathology. In 2015 Mr Sundaram was appointed as the Spine Lead in Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust. Since then, following the new guidelines there have been many positive steps forwards within the service development, such as - A reduction in the variation in spinal surgery - Lowered length of stay postoperatively - Reduced spinal implant costs, saving £400000 year on year since 2015 for the NHS Trust - A reduction in re-operation rates - A reduction in unnecessary spinal injections These achievements have led him to receive 3 Clinical Excellence Award, as well as being shortlisted for the People’s Choice Award and Team of the Year Award which he was delighted to be involved in. From November 2016, there has been a significant national change in the management of spinal disorders led by the Getting it Right First Time (GIRFT) project, NICE and the British Association of Spine Surgeon (BASS). This has led to better management of patients and the reduction of spinal procedures which have limited clinical benefits. This is not rationing by the NHS or by private insurance companies, but has been implemented to reduce ineffective procedures and improve the quality of the interventions we are delivering to further improve patient care. Mr Sundaram has received numerous testimonials from patients which are posted on his website http://www.itsmyspine.co.uk/testimonials/. Patients can also write reviews on the website ‘I want great care’ for any Consultant which he is thankful for the number of positive reviews on https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-rathnam-sundaram. As Mr Sundaram has both an NHS and Private Practice, he is able to see all patients regardless of their financial situation. Patients who see him privately who’s insurance policy or funding has expired, or self-pay patients can easily transfer to the NHS under his care without a problem. Mr Sundaram has developed an excellent reputation over the years amongst his colleagues and patients and is determined to give the best quality of care to them. Mr Sundaram is a keen sportsman, he played national level tennis as a junior and plays regularly with his 2 children. He also enjoys running, gym work and Pilates.

Short link to review Mr Rathnam Sundaram: http://iwgc.net/efisn