Mr Raman Malhotra

Raman Malhotra is an award-winning ophthalmic and oculoplastic surgeon whose work has received international recognition. He runs courses, gives lectures and speaks at medical institutions and conferences worldwide on topics ranging from facial nerve palsy to eyelid lifts and tear trough fillers. He has written textbooks and numerous medical papers that have been published in leading journals. He also runs a successful fellowship programme. In 2007, Mr Malhotra received the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award and in September 2011 he was awarded a National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health and in December 2015 he was awarded as Silver National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health. He has expertise in eyelid, orbital and lacrimal disorders. In particular, aesthetic eyelid surgery, ptosis surgery, thyroid eye disease, watery eyes, facial palsy, eyelid skin cancer management and reconstruction and facial dystonias such as blepharospasm. His website is: www.ramanmalhotra.com

• Ophthalmology
  • Plastic surgery

9th January 2016
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Fat Transfer to the Face I was recommended to Mr Malhotra by a nurse 'in the business' and my initial concern was eye bags. I hadn't expected to be offered treatment to my face as a whole, nor had I expected the option of what seemed to me a potentially more natural and less invasive procedure... and one that was also relatively low cost. The initial consultation was followed up by a thorough letter, detailing the choices and pros and cons, and the same attention to detail was given to pre and post-operative information. The day in hospital was helped by being well cared for by staff and it was reassuring to see and speak with Mr Malhotra, who has a gentle manner and is clearly very experienced in his field. Recovery time felt a little nerve racking for me; with changes in swelling it is difficult to judge quite how things will settle down. I knew I could make contact if I had concerns but instructions were sufficient and a follow-up at 10 days was perfect. I found I could return to work after two weeks and am now looking forward to the second follow-up in another two months (it is a little over 5 weeks since my operation now). There are quite a number of benefits to fat transfer and I'm certainly pleased with the results.

8th January 2016
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Fat Transfer Surgery Raman Malhotra was recommended to me by a nurse 'in the business' over my concern about eye bags. At the initial consultation I was asked what I wanted to achieve and was given a indication of possible treatments... a detailed letter outlining the pros and cons of different options followed and I was impressed and happy (but nervous) to go ahead with fat transfer to the face, after a further discussion. What I hadn't expected was both the relative low cost of this treatment and Mr Malhotra's attention to optimal results - the fat transfer was not only to my eyes but to my face as a whole. Clear instructions pre and post surgery, rather like the first letter, followed and now, 4 weeks after the surgery, I am relieved to say that all was pretty much as predicted (which includes contending with swelling - no bruising or need to massage any lumps for me). I was able to return to work after two weeks and I did follow instructions to rest well and remove plasters etc within the proper time frame etc., in that two week period. (There was a follow up appointment after 10 days to check on progress - and contact numbers for concerns in the interim.) I had hardly heard of this form of surgery prior to the initial consultation and there really do seem to be quite a lot of benefits over other treatments (fat doesn't dissolve completely over time in the same was as artificial fillers, for example)... it certainly has made a very positive improvement to my appearance. I'm glad I followed up on the initial recommendation!

3rd November 2015
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Mr.Raman Malhotra is an excellent consultant whom I would thoroughly recommend. At my first consultation he explained very clearly what his plan of treatment would be and what I would experience both during and after surgery and gave me literature and website links which enabled me to feel both well informed and confident in my decision subsequently to go ahead. The process then of booking my surgery was most ably arranged via his personal assistant, On the day of my surgery Mr. Malhotra's caring and gentle manner relaxed me and I felt safe and secure in his care both before, during and after my surgery. His attentiveness continued when he came to see me before discharge and he explained clearly how the surgery had gone and also, comfortingly, assured me of his availability for contact if I had any worries. Now, 2 weeks following surgery, I am not only delighted by the results but also those 2 weeks were as stress -free as they could be, because I not only knew what to expect, but also, true to his word, when I did have a worry, I received very prompt guidance and reassurance directly from him via contact through his personal assistant. In summary MR. Malhotra is an expert professional with a wonderful blend of skill and respectful, caring and calming manner. He clearly takes great pride and satisfaction in gaining the very best result possible. As I said to him at my recent outpatient follow-up appointment ... "you are indeed not only a skilful surgeon but also a consummate 'artist' as well. "

1st November 2015
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Whenever you are about to undergo surgery or medical procedures, it is so important that you trust your surgeon. As soon as I met Mr Malhotra, I instinctively felt that I would be in excellent hands. He is extremely professional and clearly understands how best to help you. My story is a long one...Following the removal of an Acoustic Neuroma in 2000 at the age of 25, I experienced right-sided facial palsy as a consequence of surgery. Roll on 15 years to January 2015 and I was beginning to lose faith. I was tired of self-managing a dry eye that would not close. However, following a GP referral to the facial palsy team at Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, I had my first private consultation with Mr Malhotra. I hoped he would be able to help my eye in some way. Little did I realise how much he could help me! During this initial consultation, Mr Malhotra recommended treatment right away and after a few weeks I underwent surgery including a right upper eyelid levator recession and platinum segment chain, a lower eyelid retractor recession and a transcaruncular suture sling. This was all completed whilst under sedation. Surgery was comfortable at all times thanks to Mr Malhotra and his excellent surgical team at The McIndoe Centre in East Grinstead. I actually enjoyed the surgery because I was so utterly relieved that I was getting such specialist, professional help. At all times, whether during consultations or indeed surgery I have felt secure in the knowledge that Mr Malhotra is a world class surgeon with highly specialised knowledge and surgical skills. He has incredibly high standards and focuses intently on providing individual care based on individual needs. My eye results have far exceeded my own expectations and my confidence has been boosted so very much by the more natural looking appearance of my eye. Additionally, all of the discomfort that I suffered for so many years has been taken away and therefore my life has been enhanced greatly. I cannot thank Mr Malhotra enough for his help, ongoing support and expertise in helping my eye health and giving me a much more natural looking eye/eye function. I would thoroughly recommend Mr Malhotra to anyone seeking a top class eye surgeon. I feel greatly honoured to have been in his care.

1st November 2015
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Raman Malhotra is an excellent surgeon and has produced amazing results. I have been under his care for 2 separate procedures and I would not go anywhere else. My results have been so good that other doctors/surgeons have commented about how well my procedure was carried out and the results that I have received. I would not hesitate to use Mr Malhotra again.

Nearest Ophthalmologists