Mr Raman Malhotra

Raman Malhotra is an award-winning ophthalmic and oculoplastic surgeon whose work has received international recognition. He runs courses, gives lectures and speaks at medical institutions and conferences worldwide on topics ranging from facial nerve palsy to eyelid lifts and tear trough fillers. He has written textbooks and numerous medical papers that have been published in leading journals. He also runs a successful fellowship programme. In 2007, Mr Malhotra received the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award and in September 2011 he was awarded a National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health and in December 2015 he was awarded as Silver National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health. He has expertise in eyelid, orbital and lacrimal disorders. In particular, aesthetic eyelid surgery, ptosis surgery, thyroid eye disease, watery eyes, facial palsy, eyelid skin cancer management and reconstruction and facial dystonias such as blepharospasm. His website is: www.ramanmalhotra.com

5th February 2015
Written by a patient at Queen Victoria Hospital

Going From Gold to Platinum! It is now 8 years since I started on my journey with facial palsy. It was in December of 2006 that my brain tumour was discovered and diagnosed originally as an acoustic neuroma. Following removal of the tumour in June 2007 via surgery the tumour was found to be a facial neuroma. As a result I lost the facial and acoustic nerves on the left side and had damage to vestibular nerve. I was left with facial paralysis on the left side, single sided deafness and vestibular weakness. I was lucky enough to receive reconstructive surgery 4 months later and received a hypoglossal anastomosis and a gold weight placement in my left eyelid, together with a tarsorrraphy. With all the amazing work now completed by the surgeons, it was now up to me to work hard to get my face functioning again as best as possible. One of the benefits was immediate from day one though and that was being able to close my eye again for the first time in months, a great relief. Initially I rested and saw out 2007 and entered 2008 requesting physiotherapy, speech therapy, CBT and investigated hearing aid possibilities. It took a long time to get all these in place. My physiotherapy was a key part to my rehabilitation and my function gradually improved and still does to this day with 20 minutes spent on the face at least 5 days a week. It was through my physiotherapy request that I was introduced, to Charles Nduka, Vanessa Venables, Catriona Neville and later Raman Malhotra at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead. With their help and guidance I have received further treatment with botox therapy and most recently underwent further eye surgery during which I had the Gold weight changed to Platinum Segments. The gold weight, whilst functional was quite big and very lumpy, I was often asked if I had a sting or huge sty on my eyelid and would often take to wearing sunglasses to hide it whenever possible. The weight had moved slightly creating an uneven weight balance over the lid and this was uncomfortable. The eye also appeared much more open that my normal eye. This was particularly apparent in photographs, which I avoided if at all possible. When I was offered the chance to change from the gold weight the platinum segments, I was over the moon. I had the surgery in April last year. Mr Malhotra spent some time on the surgery and not only implanted the new platinum segments but reversed the tarsorraphy, did a lower eyelid retractor recession, lateral horn release and a transcaruncular MCT suture sling. All above and beyond the brief but then that’s what they do at QVH! Needless to say I didn’t look my best afterwards but the eye healed very well over the next two months, the only problem I encountered was a little blocked duct on the lower lid but this was treated quickly and soon my eye was unrecognizable , looking far more natural and in keeping with my right eye. The left eye feels so comfortable now and the eyelid is flat and natural looking with no lump. In fact you cannot tell I have implants in the eyelid at all. The eye closes better and the weight distributed evenly along the lid. I do my physiotherapy daily getting members of the family to tell me if the eye is closed or not, it is getting stronger all the time. My self -esteem is much greater now, I am not so self-conscious and no longer grab my glasses to hide behind. You never know I may face a camera soon! ;) I am so grateful to Raman Malhotra and all the team at East Grinstead for the difference they have made to my daily life and living with Facial Palsy. Being given back the function that we so often take for granted is priceless. The visual improvement helps us face the world again and not feel so conspicuous.Thank You All So Very Much.

25th January 2015
Written by a patient at Queen Victoria Hospital

After being diagnosed with a tumour that was in my eyebrow area, being a woman of 45 and one that has always taken care of my looks I was understandably fearful and had concerns of how I would look after sugery to remove it. I had a meeting with Mr Malhoutra who was extremely understanding of this. He explained fully how I would recover, look and we spoke about any further surgery he could perform to help me look how I had before the operation. I came away feeling totaly reassured by him, it felt like I had been listened to as a person not just a patient he was so professional, kind and sensitive that I had total confidence being in his hands. The tumour removal was successful, I have had two operations to improve my brow area and have just had a meeting with Mr Malhoutra to discuss a further procedure later this year. I truly feel having him as my surgeon I have recovered and regained my confidence on my apperance far quicker than I could have hoped for, he is such a personable man to meet with and talk frankly to on that I always come away feeling a bit happier and more positive. He realy has helped me through this rather difficult time in my life.

10th December 2014
Written by a patient at Queen Victoria Hospital

Mr Malhotra has quite simply improved my quality of life beyond recognition. He has reconstructed my lower eyelid, enabled me to open my upper eyelid fully and made a huge improvement to my appearance and self-confidence. He is hugely empathetic and also listens to what you have to say whilst noticing what you are not saying. He has always treated me with great sensitivity and the level of care I have received from him has been outstanding. No question is too trivial for him to take time to answer and he explains every procedure in great detail.

10th December 2014
Written by a carer at Queen Victoria Hospital

My mother was referred to Mr Malhotra in 2007 by the Local hospital how were unable to provide answer and result to the issues my mother was experiencing, she was subsequently diagnosed with Graves Disease. I have attend all the hospital appointments with my mother and I can only say that Mr Malhotra is an exceptional surgeon. He has listened to all our concerns coupled with providing the best advice, his professionalism is second to none and I would not hesitate to recommend him. He has a very calm approach and he is very patient. My mother felt complete at ease. We couldn't of asked for more.

1st November 2014
Written by a patient at Queen Victoria Hospital

After some awful experiences in other hospitals I consider myself very fortunate to have found someone who actually cares about the patient Someone who does his very best to help advise and put at ease who takes time to listen and understands how the patient is feeling The aftercare is brilliant I have never once been made to feel that I am wasting time I cannot recommend Mr Malhotra highly enough nor his team

Nearest Ophthalmologists