mr-raghbir-khakha

3rd November 2020

I wanted to say a huge thank you for all the care I received over an extended period at Guys and St Thomas’ after I fell off a climbing wall back in March. I couldn’t fault the service from start to finish. The staff at A&E were efficient and friendly during a very painful moment! I was triaged, received pain relief, had an x ray and within 2 hours was out of the door. Mr Khakha helped me make informed decisions with my care whilst being seen in the trauma clinic and instilled confidence prior to surgery. I am so grateful to have been able to have an operation during a pandemic when I’m aware so many people haven’t been able to. The Queen Ward staff at Guys were very kind pre and post op. Despite working in a hospital I hadn’t realised how nervous I would be when the roles are reversed and I was the patient. The operating theatre staff provided a calm and reassuring environment as well as the nurses in recovery. The physiotherapist Jan helped get me up as soon as possible and again had a lovely manner. I’m aware this is something your staff do every day but the experience I have had has been very positive and will stick with me. Your actions really make a difference and are appreciated. Thank you to everyone involved and wishing you the best during this period.

26th April 2020

I had problems with both my knees since being in my 30s. Both the pain and flexibility were so debilitating at times. Due to my husband’s job we were constantly on the move hence my first endoscopy was carried out in Germany. I had my second endoscopy on my other knee in Basingstoke. Both these procedures helped over a period of time but only delayed the inevitable. In 2018 my GP referred me to the Orthopaedic Department at Guy’s Hospital. I was extremely lucky to be seen by Mr Khakha. He was so understanding, listened to my problems and explained everything to me. He didn’t rush me at my appointment and made me feel like I was his only patient. He was so kind. Mr Khakha’s secretary Heather Watson was very caring and efficient too. She always passed on my messages. Mr Khakha carried out a full right knee replacement in December 2018 and a full left knee replacement in July 2019. I was 60 two months after my second knee replacement and I went away to celebrate with my family. I walked up and down the streets in San Francisco, I went hiking trying an easy route at first but it was too easy so I went on to do a moderate 4 hour one. I spent a day out bike riding and I’ve also been to Pilates and Yoga. I love to garden and I can kneel down. It took a bit of practice but once I had gotten used to the feeling it was fine. I’ve been out dancing and did so for 5 hours. There is no stopping me now. I was feeling so low after being such an active person and suddenly being able to do so little. I lost a lot of usage in my hands too with having to use crutches for so long. My knee replacements have turned my life around so Mr Khakha’s hard work has not been wasted. I’m still doing my exercises and I don’t think I’ll ever stop as they are so automatic for me now. Thank you to all the team involved.

Written by a patient at Guys and St Thomas' Group Practice
11th February 2020

I am sorry that I did not respond to your letter but I was away with my mother. I visited Mr Khakha on referral from my doctor because I had a knee replacement which had collapsed. I was in terrible pain. My knee was twisted in. I had difficulty walking. I was taking several pain killers daily. I had my knee replacement only 18 months before at another hospital. I was worried because I was afraid that I would be permanently walking with a limp .I was not sure if they could help me. I hoped that they would be able to straighten my knee and I would not be limping. I am pleased to say that I am limp free and my leg is straight and no longer twisted. I would strongly encourage anyone suffering with a knee problem to have the treatment that Mr Khakha is offering. He is a terrific surgeon who goes the extra mile to help his patients. I have nothing but praise for the treatment that I have received. I was unable to wear my boots that was a Christmas gift however after my operation by Mr Khakha I was able to wear it. I am still walking without any pain. I am so pleased that I was referred to him. I cannot thank him enough.

Written by a patient at St Thomas' Hospital
13th January 2020

Dr Khakha has been great. My injury was rare and he managed to help my mother and me understand the condition and how he would approach it. I felt comforted all throughout the whole process and understood the pain or weird feelings I would of felt during recovery process and had and still have consistent appointments to follow up. I felt comfortable enough with him and felt/feel like we had a genuine bond and he actually listened to what I had to say about my situation rather than just nodding his head and assuming what he want it to be (which I have experienced in the past). He has constantly updating in contact with my GP and my physio and my knee is close to its original state all because of him... sooooo... THANKS MR KHAKHA!!!

12th December 2019

All my life I have been very active, working at sea, playing all types of sport but especially football, cycling and marathon running. I suppose this type of life eventually took its toll on my knee, and at the age of around 50 I started to have knee problems. I was 52 when I had a arthroscopy, which gave me relief for a couple of years. When I was 55 I was advised I would need a full knee replacement. After a few changes with surgeons I was eventually referred to Dr Khakha, who advised me that I would only require a partial knee replacement as all the wear was on the inside of my knee where I had bone rubbing against bone. I had the operation on a Friday afternoon and was discharged on the Sunday morning. The operation went well and the care I received from the staff at Guys Hospital was great. After 4 months rehab at home I returned to work at Sea, which given the environment of rough seas, and up and down ladders etc is testament to the success of my operation. I have also returned to swimming and cycling, and completed the London to Brighton bike ride 8 months after the op. I have had no complications and no pain since my op but I do kneel down on the knee very gingerly. I cannot thank Dr Khakha and his team enough for getting my life back to normal. Andrew Wells

Mr Khakha is a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon with an exclusive interest in disorders of the knee. He has particular expertise in knee joint preservation surgery including cartilage repair, ligament reconstruction and osteotomy surgery. He has been fellowship trained in unicompartmental joint replacement, total knee replacement and revision of failed joint replacement surgery. Mr Khakha has been a Consultant at Guys and St Thomas since 2017 where he is involved in the education and training of junior surgeons as well as fellows looking to refine their skills in all aspects of knee surgery. Mr Khakha continues to be involved with research and education. He is an honorary senior clinical lecturer and runs educational courses in post-graduate surgical exams. He features as faculty on courses both nationally and internationally and continues to supervise junior surgeons undertaking research projects.

Short link to review Mr Raghbir Khakha: http://iwgc.net/ehr4p