mr-raghbir-khakha

Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital
3rd November 2020

I wanted to say a huge thank you for all the care I received over an extended period at Guys and St Thomas’ after I fell off a climbing wall back in March. I couldn’t fault the service from start to finish. The staff at A&E were efficient and friendly during a very painful moment! I was triaged, received pain relief, had an x ray and within 2 hours was out of the door. Mr Khakha helped me make informed decisions with my care whilst being seen in the trauma clinic and instilled confidence prior to surgery. I am so grateful to have been able to have an operation during a pandemic when I’m aware so many people haven’t been able to. The Queen Ward staff at Guys were very kind pre and post op. Despite working in a hospital I hadn’t realised how nervous I would be when the roles are reversed and I was the patient. The operating theatre staff provided a calm and reassuring environment as well as the nurses in recovery. The physiotherapist Jan helped get me up as soon as possible and again had a lovely manner. I’m aware this is something your staff do every day but the experience I have had has been very positive and will stick with me. Your actions really make a difference and are appreciated. Thank you to everyone involved and wishing you the best during this period.

Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital
26th April 2020

I had problems with both my knees since being in my 30s. Both the pain and flexibility were so debilitating at times. Due to my husband’s job we were constantly on the move hence my first endoscopy was carried out in Germany. I had my second endoscopy on my other knee in Basingstoke. Both these procedures helped over a period of time but only delayed the inevitable. In 2018 my GP referred me to the Orthopaedic Department at Guy’s Hospital. I was extremely lucky to be seen by Mr Khakha. He was so understanding, listened to my problems and explained everything to me. He didn’t rush me at my appointment and made me feel like I was his only patient. He was so kind. Mr Khakha’s secretary Heather Watson was very caring and efficient too. She always passed on my messages. Mr Khakha carried out a full right knee replacement in December 2018 and a full left knee replacement in July 2019. I was 60 two months after my second knee replacement and I went away to celebrate with my family. I walked up and down the streets in San Francisco, I went hiking trying an easy route at first but it was too easy so I went on to do a moderate 4 hour one. I spent a day out bike riding and I’ve also been to Pilates and Yoga. I love to garden and I can kneel down. It took a bit of practice but once I had gotten used to the feeling it was fine. I’ve been out dancing and did so for 5 hours. There is no stopping me now. I was feeling so low after being such an active person and suddenly being able to do so little. I lost a lot of usage in my hands too with having to use crutches for so long. My knee replacements have turned my life around so Mr Khakha’s hard work has not been wasted. I’m still doing my exercises and I don’t think I’ll ever stop as they are so automatic for me now. Thank you to all the team involved.

Mr Khakha is a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon with an exclusive interest in disorders of the knee. He has particular expertise in knee joint preservation surgery including cartilage repair, ligament reconstruction and osteotomy surgery. He has been fellowship trained in unicompartmental joint replacement, total knee replacement and revision of failed joint replacement surgery. Mr Khakha has been a Consultant at Guys and St Thomas since 2017 where he is involved in the education and training of junior surgeons as well as fellows looking to refine their skills in all aspects of knee surgery. Mr Khakha continues to be involved with research and education. He is an honorary senior clinical lecturer and runs educational courses in post-graduate surgical exams. He features as faculty on courses both nationally and internationally and continues to supervise junior surgeons undertaking research projects.

Short link to review Mr Raghbir Khakha: http://iwgc.net/ehr4p