Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh

20th December 2020

I was referred to Mr Al-Mahfoudh following unsuccessful physio and other treatments. I was diagnosed with L4/L5 grade 1 degenerative spondylolisthesis. After a few less evasive options it was agreed that I would have an L4/L5 decompression and fusion. Mr Al-Mahfouhd was very thorough exploring all the options before finally requiring the surgery. I felt very reassured throughout the process with regular visits from him post operation. I would recommend him for anyone else looking at similar surgery. I am now a year post operation and my back is pain free and are now back at my gym classes. Wonderful!

11th November 2020

I was referred to Rafid just before lockdown in March and he was amazing about getting my scans and follow up appointments arranged rapidly. I had been having head/neck/arm and hand pains for a while and was struggling to use my left hand properly. Rafid was incredibly reassuring, caring and professional. Anyone who has to see a neurosurgeon will know how scary it is...Rafid is an expert in assuaging any worries. He performed ulnar nerve decompression and relocation surgery in September (the earliest the hospital could get me in) and it has made an enormous difference to my mobility and pain levels. I would 100% recommend Rafid. His excellent humour, professionalism and expertise is second to none. Thank you for fixing me Rafid! One day we will have you singing solos at Carnegie!

6th November 2020

It has been a joy to be in Rafid A;-Mahfoudh's care. He is clearly a brilliant surgeon but, in addition, caring, kind, interesting and informative. Any spinal operation - the removal of a disc (C6) and a bridging of C5 and C7 with a metal plate in my case - is unnerving, intimidating and calls for medical reassurance. I felt in safe hands from the moment I met Rafid until my final 'discharge'. My recovery has been excellent and the monitoring of it exemplary. I cannot recommend Rafid highly enough.

4th September 2020

After over 2 years of repeat hospital admissions with suspected cauda equina, continuous pain, the inability to walk without using crutches and NHS limited support; I discovered Mr Al-Mahfoudh! I was referred to him through my medical insurance provider and has an appointment within a couple of weeks. He listened to my issues and immediately sent me for xrays. I had many scans and tests with the NHS but not to much avail. Mr Al-Mahfoudh wanted to get xrays of me standing as well as laying down as this was when the pain was at its worst... something the NHS hadn't listened to. This standing xray showed the real depth of my issue with my spine and the spondylolisthesis slippage. From there he was able to suggest a spinal fusion procedure which would correct the spine and remove my ever-growing pain! I was booked in for the operation within 4 weeks and the surgery was a great success. After recovery, I am now 6 months post op and I can honestly say this operation has changed my life for the better. I went from hardly being able to walk to now being about to play with toys on the floor with my children. Some pain still remains when I overdo activities but nothing that I wouldn't have expected. Now I am able, I am working on getting my body back in shape and having the strength to be healthy and fit with my new strong back! :) Thank you Mr Al-Mahfoudh for giving me my life back!

29th August 2020

I'm in my 70s and have suffered with severe sciatica and lumbar pain for over 25 years. Various painkillers, NSAIDs, injections, acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and pain management had not alleviated the problem. It was a revelation, therefore, to finally meet Mr Al Mahfoudh who understood and operated. Now, two weeks post micro surgery (I was really surprised at how small the incision was), I finally feel that I have my life back. I didn't even need the painkillers given on discharge (only two days in hospital). Can't recommend Mr Al Mahfoudh highly enough.

Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2020 for delivering outstanding care.

MBChB, European diploma in Neurosurgery, FRCS (SN) Consultant Neurosurgeon Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Contact: secretary@spineandbrain.co.uk

Nearest Neurosurgeons