Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh

MBChB, European diploma in Neurosurgery, FRCS (SN) Consultant Neurosurgeon Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Contact: secretary@spineandbrain.co.uk

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

20th May 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

After years of pain in the lumber area and legs. I underwent surgery two years ago. Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh, Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Nuffield Health Hospital carried out the surgery which involved: Fusion of the Lumber 3/4/5 and Decompression. Since then I have progressed, having completely recovered. Pain free also my quality of life has returned which I am grateful for. This was the right procedure for me and at the time of the operation I was in safe hands. I would recommend Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh to anyone who needs neurosurgery.

4th May 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Sussex County Hospital

I had stenosis at L3/4 and surgery April 2019 carried out by Mr Rafid Al Mahfoudh and am delighted with the outcome. The aching, tautness and stiffness in my legs were immediately gone post operation and the swollen calves reduced within days. I hadn’t anticipated such positive results so soon. Mr Al Mahfoudh was caring, attentive and reassuring throughout and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending him to anyone requiring spinal surgery. Am pain free for the first time in years and eagerly looking forward to getting my life back on track. Thank you sir.

3rd May 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Brighton

I first met Mr Al-Mahfoudh in November 2017 after I had managed to persuade my GP to refer me for a scan following almost 6 months of back pain that travelled all down one leg and into the front of my foot. I was unable to walk any distance and sitting was difficult. Mr Al-Mahfoudh diagnosed a spine problem and offered 3 choices 1. Continue with the pain killers, 2. A spinal injection 3. An spinal compression operation. I was nervous so opted for the injection he warned me that it may not have lasting benefits. He was right I felt slight pain relief but this only lasted a week. On return Mr Al-Mahfoudh was positive saying that as a diagnostic tool the injection showed him he was in the right area. He again offered me the option to leave it he did not suggest another injection as he did not think that it would help. I decided to go for the operation. I was in the Nuffield in Brighton and as soon as I awoke from the anaesthetic my pain had gone, I have now returned to normal activities and would recommend Mr Al-Mahfoudh unreservedly for his care and compassion, he listens and helps you through any concerns.

25th April 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Brighton

I had chronic sciatica in my legs and that led to pain in my lower back, where my NHS doctor wouldn’t send me for a scan as he felt didn’t warrant it. At this time I could hardly walk or stand. Luckily for me, I found Mr Al-Mahfoudh, who from the moment he looked at the issue said I had a back issue and needed a scan to prove it. So I agreed to a scan, where it showed a disc sticking out in my back hence the pain, as the disc was rubbing on the nerves, so the issue was identified. This led to me being laid up at home as couldn’t even sit down by this time, so was laid out flat in chronic pain which resulted in 4.5 months off work. This in time led to operation to fix my back which was under the NHS choose and book scheme where Mr Al-Mahfoudh performed the operation in the private Brighton hospital but under the NHS. From the moment I woke up, the pain had gone and I became fully mobile again. The only issue has been getting my core strength back after about 4/5 months of laying flat on my back. I can’t thank him enough for being so pleasant, informative and he does what it says on the tin, there is hardly a scar to show where the operation was. 100% professional, quality surgeon, and can’t recommend him enough. There are costs involved but I have my life back after the worst year of my life in 2018, 2019 has gone back to a normal life, thanks to Mr Al-Mahfoudh.

10th April 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Brighton

During over 50 years in the building industry back pain was never a stranger, osteopaths became good friends. However, a year ago and in my early seventies, pain developed down my left leg making walking extremely difficult; covering 50 metres at a time a real challenge. Following an MRI scan, I was introduced to Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh. His critical assessment of my condition led him to propose three treatment options, the last being surgery .His friendly nature and decisive manner built my confidence to the point of my taking the decision to go for surgery. He proposed to cut bone to access my lower back discs L 3, L4 and L5 and relieve pressure on the spinal cords. This delicate surgery was performed on February 22nd this year. I walked out of hospital two days later, without pain! I convalesced for two weeks to let the wound heal and now, 6 weeks later, I am able to walk anywhere.It is so gratifying to be fit and mobile once more and I am so grateful to Mr Al-Mahfoudh for his talent and skills.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »