Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh

« 1 2 3 4 »

Written by a patient at Royal Sussex County Hospital
10th June 2020

Following an MRI scan in January 2020 I was diagnosed with an Benign Spinal Cord Tumor. Due to increasing loss of feeling below the waist I was admitted to The Royal Sussex County Hospital following a visit to A&E. This was when I was introduced to the Neurosurgeon and Complex Spine Surgeon Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh, who attended the hospital on a Sunday to look at my case. Mr Al-Mahfoudh discussed the case with me and outlined that due to the location of the tumor it would be better to not perform the surgery as an emergency and for the operation to be planned. I felt reassured by Mr Al-Mahfoudh and confident that he was the right person to be performing this surgery. I was discharged from hospital and put on Mr Al-Mahfoudh outpatient list. My symptoms however worsened and I experienced a lot of numbness below the waist, difficulty in walking and keeping my balance I was readmitted to A&E at the Royal Sussex County Hospital and on this occasion the surgery went ahead on 11 February 2020. I was placed in the capable hands of Mr Al-Mahfoudh and his team. The surgery was longer and more complex than anticipated because the tumor had calcified, due to the skill and expertise of Mr Al-Mahfoudh and his team the tumor was removed in its entirety. MR Al- Mahfoudh was able to perform the surgery using specialist equipment (SSEP and MEP) to monitor the nervous system. The surgery was a success and my post operative care was superb and I cannot thank the team enough. I am 4 months post op and I have regained feeling in most areas that had become numb, I did not think I would ever feel my feet again but have regained the majority of feeling back. Additionally the urge incontinence I experienced pre-surgery has been resolved which had restored my sense of dignity. I am able to walk and cycle which is a gift, one that I would not have received if it had not been for the expertise and skill of Mr Al-Mahfoudh. I still have a long way to go and hope that under the supervision of Mr Al-Mahfoudh I will continue to improve over the next couple of years. I cannot thank Mr Al-Mahfoudh enough for his compassion, care and expertise, this was a difficult time knowing that I could be paralysed if I did not have the operation. If I was ever to have any complications or new conditions relating to the spine or brain in the future (fingers crossed I won't need to) I would not hesitate to seek out Mr Al-Mahfoudh. Thank you once again Mr Al-Mahfoudh I could not have been in safer hands.

Written by a carer at Nuffield Hospital Brighton
27th April 2020

I would like to take this opportunity in expressing my utmost gratitude for Dr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh for providing excellent in fact world class service to my father (Abdul Mohammed) who could barely stood upright last year this time. Series of unsuccessful surgical operations in overseas left my father in excruciating pain and made him crawl to navigate his way around. The intensity of pain was visibly overwhelming and during this ordeal my father lost over 12 kilograms of body weight and looked to have given up on life altogether. As a family we were left in a disarray and I can never forget the moment when Dr Rafid talked us through our father's condition and reassured us that "Abdul will be able to stand up and walk again". To conclude, as a man of faith, we have always been told to cling to a hope and be optimistic - this theoretical theological concept came to a vivid reality through Dr Rafid. We are forever indebted to your professional services.

23rd April 2020

THANK YOU Dr Mahfoudh you have been fantastic taking care of both my daughter's back and also myself - we are very impressed and extremely grateful. We both appreciate the first class service you have offered Isabella in tracking down historic scans right through to passing on results in such a timely manner. Dr Mahfoudh you have a lovely bedtime manner and let me speak about my condition, you listen patiently and act very promptly indeed. We have had experience of spinal surgeons before who haven't spent the time and kindness in both explaining our condition and how we can help ourselves with exercises etc when surgery isn't necessary. You have offered us much needed assurance and it's a huge relief to be in such safe and reassuring hands.

23rd April 2020

I managed to get an appointment with Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh in December 2019. He was very professional in the way he spoke, made me feel very relaxed and confident that he knew what he was talking about, he seemed to be the only person who I had spoken to that knew how much pain I was going through. I Have now had the operation L4/L5 posterior lumbar interbody fusion, lumbar decompression. I am now 90% better after my operation, I can get out of bed without pain! sneeze and cough, I can't thank him and his team enough for giving me my painless life back.

4th April 2020

i am so grateful to Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh for helping me to understand more about my problem.He is very professional, understanding,helpful and kind.

« 1 2 3 4 »

Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2020 for delivering outstanding care.

MBChB, European diploma in Neurosurgery, FRCS (SN) Consultant Neurosurgeon Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Contact: secretary@spineandbrain.co.uk

Nearest Neurosurgeons