Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh

MBChB, European diploma in Neurosurgery, FRCS (SN) Consultant Neurosurgeon Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Contact: secretary@spineandbrain.co.uk

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

20th January 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Sussex County Hospital

I cannot find adequate words to sum up how much I am indebted to Mr Rafid Al-Mahfoudh for operating on my back 2 years ago. This is my best attempt: After 20 years of increasing levels of pain and decreasing levels of mobility (and on my 68th birthday!) he operated for over eight hours at The Royal Sussex Hospital to insert pins and a cage (L4/5 PLIF) to correct L4/5 spondylolisthesis and L4/5 stenosis. It was the best birthday present ever. Now, virtually pain free, fully mobile and back working full time, I have this wonderful surgeon to thank for getting my life back. After my surgery, Mr Al-Mahfoudh kept me fully informed of what he had done, sharing with me the x-rays and MRI results and fully explaining the process and the stages of recovery. He answered all my questions, however dopey they were, exuding genuine excitement when talking about his work and its positive outcomes. I found Mr Al-Mahfoudh to be a phenomenally hard-working and talented surgeon who had researched, updated and developed his surgical practice engaging with me at every stage of my treatment. I know I have been so very fortunate to have been under his care.

31st October 2018
Written by a patient at Princess Royal Hospital

Mr Al Mafoudh is a very compassionate and caring surgeon giving comfort at a very scarey time . I would trust him with my life. I cannot thank him enough for his support and the confidence he has given me. He is a great advert for the caring NHS

17th October 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Brighton

I have been under the care of Mr Al-Mahfoudh for the past 18 month for a prolapsed disc. After 2 unsuccessful steroid injections I decided to have surgery which Mr Al-Mahfoudh suggested and talked me through. The surgery was carried out by Mr Al-Mahfoudh at Spire hospital in Gatwick. Mr Al-Mahfoudh provided information at every step through my consultation and went through the procedure. I felt very reassured throughout. After the operation I was back up and walking the day after the op and discharged after 2 days. I have now been pain free for 3 months. I would recommend Mr Al-Mahfound to anyone looks for a consultant to discuss back pain. He is professional, thorough and provides excellent care.

22nd September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Sussex County Hospital

In July I had a fall from my horse, bouncing off my head on to a road surface, fracturing a cervical vertebra and crushing one of my thoracic vertebrae. After 14 hours in A&E at Worthing Hospital, I was transferred to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, where I was seen by Mr Al-Mahfoudh and his team. Before the operation I had to be "log rolled" by 5 trained staff every time I was moved or turned so I was quite high-dependency and the staff were great. The surgery on my back has been a big success and my follow-up consultation with Mr Al-Mahfoudh was reassuring. He explained how I will progress and I learned that many surgeons won't undertake that operation, so I consider myself very lucky. I now have a "scaffold" of screws and rods holding everything in place and protecting the unstable vertebra. It will take a while for everything to heal completely but I shall be riding again within a few months and will be ever grateful to Mr Al-Mahfoudh, his team and all the lovely staff at the Royal Sussex County.

6th September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Sussex County Hospital

I would highly recommend Mr Al-Mahfoud. I was completely at ease before my op and was in no doubt that I was in good hands. I have just had my post op x-Ray and final meeting with Mr Al-Mahfoud. He showed me my x-Ray that I had on that day and discussed it with me. I told him that I had been doing the very important exercises since the op, which had really helped. I no longer suffered the awful pain. He was pleased and was happy to discharge me. He said that any problems in the future to get in contact with him through my GP which also was very comforting.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »