Mr Pubudu Nilantha Jeevendra Pathiraja

Written by a private patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford
13th May 2021

Mr Pathiraja operated on me twice in the period of 8 months, both times brilliantly, and I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for being the best and giving his best when I really needed help. First operation was on the NHS in June 2020, during the pandemic, when he performed a laparoscopy which helped diagnose ovarian cancer. I recovered in record time with no infections and the minimum use of painkillers. He was the person who told me that I had cancer and he did it with immense tact and kindness, aware that doing it over the phone (as all appointments were done at the time) it would have been difficult for me. The second operation was done privately in Oxford Manor Hospital in February 2021, after I went through a four month course of chemotherapy. By this time Mr Pathiraja was not working for the NHS in Oxford and we were assigned another surgeon. This was the worst time in my treatment, when the difficulties of the operation were presented as almost unsurmountable and we were advised to simply wait and see if/when the cancer returned. It was an option, the risk was high, but it left us in limbo and having to make decisions we were not qualified to do. We were facing a very bleak Christmas. A phone call to Mr Pathiraja made everything simple and doable and he gave us a gift of relaxed Christmas and more importantly, a future. Everything was explained with quiet confidence and not many words, but both I and my husband felt as if a huge burden was lifted from our shoulders and someone has given us a shelter. This type of support cannot be overestimated in its importance for the wellbeing to a patient. For us, it was a deus-ex-machina moment which we will remember. By the time the operation (keyhole hysterectomy, removal of nearby tissues, gland biopsies…) was organised privately, it was the height of the pandemic in February, but it went ahead and everything went well with it. I spent only one night in the hospital, nothing got infected, took painkillers for a week and was doing a five mile walk after two weeks. I have since done ten mile walks and, although I get tired, I am also getting better and better every day. Having this second operation gave me the gift of knowing that I have much better chances for the future, and what a gift that is.

16th May 2021
Response from Mr Pubudu Nilantha Jeevendra Pathiraja

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology
  • Oncology

Mr Pubudu Pathiraja began his surgical career in Sri Lanka, before moving to the UK where he completed his structured postgraduate training programme in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Mr Pathiraja is a Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG), and gained the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT - 2010) in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. He then completed the Royal College of Gynaecologists certified Sub-Specialty Training in Gynaecological Oncology at Oxford University Hospitals. He is a member of the British Gynaecological Cancer Society (BGCS) and the BMA, and is a BSCCP-accredited Colposcopist and trainer. Mr Pathiraja treats all types of gynaecological cancers and is an accomplished and experienced advanced laparoscopic surgeon, performing laparoscopic surgeries / minimal access surgery (MAS) for uterine, cervical and highly selected early stage ovarian cancer. He has a special interest in performing ultra-radical surgery for ovarian cancer; palliative surgery for recurrent disease and exenterative procedures. Mr Pathiraja also has a particular surgical interest in treating pre-cancerous disease of the vulva and cervix and also exploring the value of prophylactic surgery for ovarian disease. Mr Pathiraja has active involvement in teaching registrars/fellows and medical students from the University of Oxford. He is a firm believer in working together with relevant specialties to achieve safest and best quality care for patients. His vision is to disseminate high quality and safe Gynaecological Oncology care for all women in developing and resource poor countries by volunteering and training their specialists.

Nearest Obstetricians and gynaecologists

Nearest Oncologists

NAN miles

Short link to review Mr Pubudu Nilantha Jeevendra Pathiraja: http://iwgc.net/egdrv