Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath

Expert Specialist Knee Surgeon treating both adults and children in the premier private hospital in South Central England. Impartial advice and state of the art imaging facilities, safe surgery using evidence-based proven surgical techniques. International and national reputation for excellence and named as one of the UK's best Knee Replacement Surgeons 2018 : Daily Mail Specialist in sports knee injuries, meniscus surgery, cartilage transplantation, ACL and ligament reconstruction, anterior knee pain, patellar instability, partial knee resurfacing, primary and complex revision knee replacements, joint -preservation surgery, personalised treatment and dedicated specialist rehabilitation experts Specialist management of childrens' knee conditions in a dedicated Paediatric Private Unit

24th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Southampton Hospital

On Thursday 12th July 2018 Mr Philip J. Chapman-Sheath (PJ. C-S) performed total knee replacement surgery on my right knee. The next day I was walking on crutches and the following day, Saturday, I was discharged to return home. PJ. C-S and all his team were very professional and reassuring at every stage; I felt I was in competent hands. The anaesthetist Mr Ian Mettam was especially helpful in explaining the procedure and benefits of a spinal anaesthetic which he expertly performed. Prior to my discussion with him I had serious reservations about the procedure and would have taken a general anaesthetic of which I had experience. However, I am glad I accepted his advice and found my post operative recovery was much more rapid and clear of side effects. I also took the option of a sedative so that I was essentially asleep during the operation. The arthritic pain which had persuaded me to have surgery disappeared completely after the operation. The medication to control post operative pain was taken orally (not by injection) and was very effective. After a few weeks I was able to reduce the dosage and after 3 months I no longer needed painkillers on a regular basis. Although I had been told the importance of doing post operative exercises to gain best performance from my new knee I had not fully comprehended that immediately after the operation I could hardly bend my leg. The best I could do was about 20 degrees which I found rather worrying but the hospital physiotherapist said it was quite good and would improve with exercise which it did. I had physiotherapy therapy for about 6 weeks followed by hydrotherapy for a similar period and after each session was given a list of exercises to perform by myself. Initial recovery was faster than I expected with the range of bending movement (flexion) improving such that I could drive a car after 3 to 4 weeks, ride my bicycle on the roads after 6 weeks and do most physical activities that I wanted after 3 months. During this time PJ. C-S monitored my progress with post operative consultations after 3 weeks, 8 weeks, and finally after 8 months when radiographs were taken which he showed and explained to me. After every consultation with him he wrote his conclusions in letters that he sent to my GP and myself so that I was always fully informed. At this time, March 2019 we are all very pleased with the outcome of the surgery; my range of motion is better than it was before the operation and the residual stiffness and soreness in my knee continues to gradually diminish. I have been told these symptoms typically disappear by about a year after surgery. PJ. C-S has told me that it is permissible to kneel down on padded surfaces which I can do but it will take a bit more time to be fully comfortable in doing so. The decision to have major knee surgery is not taken lightly. I first met with PJ. C-S in January 2012, when I was experiencing problems walking due to the arthritis in my knee. We discussed all the options extensively and concluded that I would carry on without surgery while I could do so. There was no pressure from him to rush to surgery. Six years later, after a step change in the arthritic pain I decided to proceed with the operation. Despite my apprehension, it was the right decision. Philip Chapman-Sheath is someone who is very easy to talk with, has a ready sense of humour and is very serious about his professional responsibilities. I am very grateful to him for his care.

24th March 2019
Response from Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath

Many thanks indeed for your detailed and highly important feedback and well done on your return to normal function

10th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Southampton Hospital

He filled me with confidence before and after my operation.

16th March 2019

9th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Southampton Hospital

PCS. Calm, kind, honest consultancy, takes time to listen and explain procedure thoroughly. result of his surgery and future prognosis excellent, if knee replacement can be a pleasure it has been done as well as you could wish for and on his part with great charm. Physiocare of George Street, Ryde IOW. have played an important part in my rehab, particularly Anna,who has been highly motivational,as have the other Instructors at their associated Hydro therapy pool, at Safe Harbour ,TheStrand ,Ryde IOW.

16th March 2019
Response from Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such valuable feedback

26th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Southampton Hospital

Mr Chapman Sheath has replaced both of my knees over a two and a half year period. I have no regrets in having them done as Mr Chapman Sheath explained the problems and put my mind at ease about the complications of the operation. Although I was more apprehensive about having the second one done the operation went well and I have been signed off after only six months. I must emphasise how important it has been to complete the Physiotherapy and carry on exercising afterwards it is hard work but well worth it.

2nd March 2019
Response from Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath

Well done on all your self-motivation through the recovery phase - definitely shows that it takes a whole team and the patient working closely together to ensure Icjr an excellent result

23rd February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Southampton Hospital

Had complete faith in Mr Chapman Sheath from the first consultation. At present I am four weeks on from my surgery and everything is going well as expected. My physio is Mrs Lesley Boyd in Lymington who is doing a great job and she often has patients referred to her by Mr Chapman Sheath. Mr Chapman Sheath will see me again in 5/6 months with an X-ray beforehand. The anaesthetist for my operation was great. It is very remiss of me because I can’t remember his name but he works with Mr Chapman-Sheath often. I had the spinal anaesthetic with a sedative - fantastic and would go down that route again and he looked after me very well. I was in hospital for three days and well looked after.

2nd March 2019
Response from Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath

Thank you for the feedback and we in the team are all so delighted with your progress !

Short link to review Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath: http://iwgc.net/eq8u