mr-paul-thiruchelvam

Mr Paul Thiruchelvam

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Written by a private patient at Charing Cross Hospital
22nd November 2021

I am a BRCA1 gene carrier and I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in May 2021 - initially via the NHS at Charing Cross (which was where I met Mr.Thiruchelvam) before having the opportunity to switch to my private health care (which slightly expedited my treatment which was initiated at the end of pandemic lockdown). Mr. Thiruchelvam runs a busy practice, but supported by his brilliant Medical Secretary Michelle, he has from the outset of my care found time to schedule appointments which don't feel rushed and which have provided me with the opportunity to ask all of the questions that I need. I was very clear from the point of diagnosis that I wished to pursue a double mastectomy, however Mr. Thiruchelvam has always given me the opportunity to revisit this decision. With regard to the nature of my reconstruction he was clear and helpful in offering professional advice based on years of experience. In the lead up to surgery he was meticulous in his planning, in highlighting potential risks so that I was mentally prepared, but in doing all that he could to avoid them becoming a reality. Alongside Mr. Thiruchelvam, the multi-disciplinary team who managed my care (Dr. Matt Brown - Pain Specialist; Dr. Susie Cleator - Oncologist; Mr. Daniel Leff (surgeon) have been thoroughly professional and as supportive as possible on a challenging journey. I feel confident that I have received the best care possible, and particularly, that I have been able to reach-out at point of need to get the information that I need for reassurance or to enable my decision making.

Written by a NHS patient at Charing Cross Hospital
19th November 2021

From the moment I met Mr Thiruchelvam, I felt I was in the best hands. I felt that Mr Thiruchelvam showed empathy and understanding towards me and answered all of my worries honestly. Mr Thiruchelvam had to give me the bad news of my diagnosis of breast cancer. He was concise and clear about the treatment I would get and I felt very much informed of my journey going forward. I knew that any questions I asked Mr Thiruchelvam would be answered honestly and sympathetically, even though it might not have been what I wanted to hear. Mr Thiruchelvam operated on me and the results and outlook are very positive. I Couldn't be happier with the treatment I received and everything he has done for me. I would also like to mention my Macmillan nurse, Orla O'Neill, who alongside Mr Thiruchelvam, gave me amazing support. She was always on the end of the phone, making me feel at ease and giving me such great advise on many things, whilst being honest at the same time.

Written by a NHS patient at Charing Cross Hospital
5th November 2021

I am very happy with my on going care with Mr Paul Thiruchelvam and his team. With each appointment Mr Thiruchelvam has explained and answered all my questions regarding my care before and after surgery. Especially Orla O’Neill my Clinic Nurse Specialist who went through my primary breast care plan step by step with me and has always been at the end of the telephone with any problems or questions that has come up or even just to give me a call to see how l am.

Written by a private patient at New Victoria Hospital
15th October 2021

I visited Mr Thiruchelvam after a negative and drawn-out experience with another consultant. He listened to my concerns, reviewed my previous tests and results, and was open and honest about the next steps. When I needed surgery he was excellent, as were the other staff at New Victoria hospital - patient, caring and supportive - for example ringing my partner when I came out of surgery. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Written by a private patient at King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes
11th September 2021

After I heard that I had breast cancer, it was important for me to next know that the necessary treatment would be conducted by the best possible people and quickly. That’s exactly what happened. Under the outstanding care of Consultant Breast & Reconstructive Surgeon Mr. Paul Thiruchelvam. Mr Thiruchelvam pulled together a fantastic, caring team of top specialists. My surgery was completed within a month of diagnosis, most importantly, with all the cancer removed. I was also left with beautifully reconstructed breasts. I would thoroughly recommend Mr T and his team.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Mr Paul Thiruchelvam was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Paul is a Consultant Breast and Reconstructive Surgeon at Imperial College NHS Trust and an Honorary Senior Lecturer in Surgery at Imperial College, London. He graduated from Imperial College in 2000 and undertook his Surgical Training in North West Thames, during which time he rotated through the breast units at Imperial College and The Royal Marsden. He completed his surgical training as a National Oncoplastic Group (TIG) fellow at the Nottingham Breast Institute, where he undertook research mapping the anatomy of chest wall perforator flaps (LICAP & LTAPs) in partial and total breast reconstruction. Paul has undertaken travelling fellowships to the MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centers, and was awarded a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellowship in 2016, visiting the United States and Japan to observe the use of axillary reverse mapping (ARM) and Lymphatic Microsurgical Preventing Healing Approach (LYMPHA) in primary lymphoedema prevention. Paul is actively involved in lymphedema prevention and surveillance. As a member of the member of the expert panel on breast cancer related lymphoedema, he was involved in drafting best practice guidelines for the American Society of Breast Surgeons. He serves on the Oncoplastic faculty for both the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Breast Surgeons and teaches on Surgical Techniques for the Prevention and Management of Lymphedema for the American Society of Breast Surgeons. Paul received his PhD in Molecular Oncology from Imperial College in 2010, under supervision from Professors Simak Ali, Laki Buluwela and Charles Coombes. He was awarded the first joint clinical research fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons and Cancer Research:UK to fund his research. He is actively involved in clinical trials, including the multi-centre PRADA trial.

Short link to review Mr Paul Thiruchelvam: http://iwgc.net/eftdn