Mr Paul Thiruchelvam

Paul is a Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon at Imperial College NHS Trust and an Honorary Senior Lecturer in Surgery at Imperial College, London. He graduated from Imperial College in 2000 and undertook his Surgical Training in North West Thames, during which time he rotated through the breast units at Imperial College and The Royal Marsden. He completed his surgical training as a National Oncoplastic Group (TIG) fellow at the Nottingham Breast Institute, where he undertook research mapping the anatomy of chest wall perforator flaps (LICAP & LTAPs) in partial and total breast reconstruction. Paul has undertaken travelling fellowships to the MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centers, and was awarded a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellowship in 2016, visiting the United States and Japan to observe the use of axillary reverse mapping (ARM) and Lymphatic Microsurgical Preventing Healing Approach (LYMPHA) in primary lymphoedema prevention. Paul is actively involved in lymphedema prevention, surveillance and treatment. As a member of the member of the expert panel on breast cancer related lymphoedema, he was involved in drafting best practice guidelines for the American Society of Breast Surgeons. He is on the Oncoplastic faculty for the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Breast Surgeons. Paul received his PhD in Molecular Oncology from Imperial College in 2010, under supervision from Professors Simak Ali, Laki Buluwela and Charles Coombes. He was awarded the first joint clinical research fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons and Cancer Research:UK to fund his research. He is actively involved in clinical trials, including the multi-centre PRADA trial.

22nd April 2018
Written by a patient at Charing Cross Hospital

It gives me the greatest pleasure to recommend Mr Paul Thiruchelvam. The excellent care and treatment he and his team gave me recently at Charing Cross surpassed that which I received previously as a private patient at the Cromwell hospital. From the moment he walked into reception that bleak Easter Saturday morning, smiled and said good morning to the waiting patients - oh, how important that was - to my discharge, he was friendly professional, reassuring and made one feel confident that he would deliver the best possible treatment. His team - the nurses, radiologist, theatre staff were equally great and that permeates down from the top. I was treated with courtesy, respect and understanding at each stage I was a person with a name, not merely a case number. In short I felt cared for and in very competent hands all the way. I feel extremely fortunate to have been referred to Mr Thiruchelvam and my thanks to him and his team. I'd also like to say how impressed I was with the way the clinics were organised. The consultation, mammogram and ultrasound all done in the one appointment with a biopsy just a fortnight later and follow-up clinic a week after that. I simply can't pinpoint anything that would have improved my care and recent experience.

11th April 2018
Written by a patient at Charing Cross Hospital

From the day I was diagnosed with breast cancer I could not possibly have received better care than I did. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been allocated Mr Paul Thiruchelvam as my breast surgeon. He delivered what was extremely traumatic news to me in a calm, informative and sympathetic manner which I could cope with. He explained how he would be treating me I.e chemotherapy, followed by radiotherapy and then a mastectomy. I was surprised as I expected the surgery to be first. Paul explained in detail why this was and I was more than happy to trust him. Looking back I am very happy that the procedure was this way round as I have a little cording in my arm and would have found the position for radiotherapy had it been after quite difficult. I consider that I was also very fortunate to have Mr Jalalli as my plastic surgeon as I think together they made a fantastic team for me as I had an excellent post surgery recovery with absolutely no pain just a little discomfort. Together with the chemotherapy team, radiotherapy team, nurses on the ward, and of course lovely Orla who was my breast care nurse who was fantastic, extremely supportive and always seemed to call me at the time I needed her most, an awful period was made do-able even if I may say pleasant. I will forever be thankful to all of them.

29th March 2018
Written by a patient at Charing Cross Hospital

Dr Thiruchelvam is a brilliant doctor in many ways. He has a lovely manner with his patients and explains things very thoroughly. He is so obviously devoted to his profession and the patients in his care. And he is an outstanding surgeon. I recovered extremely quickly from surgery and had the minimum of pain and discomfort, I think thanks to his handiwork. He goes the extra mile too. In my case he very kindly went to out to the waiting room to find my husband to reassure him that I was out of the recovery room and getting on well. I spoke to three other women having surgery with Dr Thiruchelvam on the same day as me and they also couldn't speak highly enough of him. I feel extremely privileged to have met him and been in his expert hands. I honestly can't think of anything he could do better.

8th March 2018
Written by a patient at Charing Cross Hospital

Paul was very professional, although a little sensitivity would have been nice, not saying that we need to be wrapped in cotton wool, maybe explaining things in a more gentle manner (I know that there is no easy way to deliver this type of news to a patient). The day of the surgery the team were amazing, caring and professional, and did their best to try and distract you from the situation. Paul did his rounds to make sure that everything was fine before I left. On the second consultation, Paul was very happy with the outcome and so was I.

8th March 2018
Written by a patient at Charing Cross Hospital

Paul is extremelly professional. It was very easy for me to trust him and build a great rapport (almost immediately!). Fortunately, the purpose of having my appointment with Paul was about a discomfort on one of my breast vs having something more serious but even though I wasn't a patient of "urgency" he provided quality time, listened to me and requested all relevant studies and checks at the hospital to ensure I was healthy. I will definitely recommend him!

Short link to review Mr Paul Thiruchelvam: http://iwgc.net/eftdn