Mr Patrick Duffy

Patrick (Paddy) Duffy is an Orthopaedic specialising in hip and knee surgery including primary and revision knee replacement and arthroscopy. Also provides adult and paediatric trauma care. Longstanding interest in medical education and have been Undergraduate tutor for University Hospital North Durham for last 5 years and hold Postgraduate certificate of medical education. Currently lead Clinician for Department of Orthopaedics at Durham.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

4th October 2017
Written by a carer at Bishop Auckland General Hospital

Mr Duffy replaced my husbands knee approx. 6 years ago also straightening out his very twisted leg. The difference has been amazing, giving him his life back. He has been able to continue working and enjoying walking especially with his dog. Unfortunately this year he has developed a Bakers Cyst behind the replacement knee so we returned to see Mr Duffy. After consultation and taking his very sensible advice we have decided to leave well alone for the time being, but with the reassurance that we can return to see him again if necessary. Intervening at present could actually cause more problems so are in totally agreement to 'leave well alone'. Thank you Mr Duffy and your marvellous team.

22nd September 2017
Written by a patient at University Hospital of North Durham

Mr Duffy led the team that replaced my hip. Unfortunately I suffered a dropped foot as a result of the surgery. It is one of the risks of this procedure. Mr Duffy has been concerned to care for me post surgery and has been constructive and realistic in advising me. After losing a significant amount of weight and exercising over a period of 2.5 years post surgery it is noticeable that some movement is returning to my foot . A full recovery is unlikely but what I have is better than my condition pre surgery. I have no hesitation in recommending Mr Duffy and his team at UHND and Bishop Auckland they did their best with an overweight patient and were concerned to help me post surgery. For me living pain free outweighed the risk of drop foot and with weight loss and improved fitness Im back in top form! I would also like to commend the orthotics team at Darlington MH who made me a night time foot brace and continue to maintain it for me. My advice to others requiring THR is to get in the best condition you can be post surgery, don't leave it too long, work in partnership with your surgeon and his/her team to ensure your recovery - especially physio. Don't expect miracles, sometimes things go wrong, but I can commend Mr Duffy and all his team - especially if you are prepared to work with them.

Short link to review Mr Patrick Duffy: http://iwgc.net/eenyl