mr-osama-dessouky-msc-md-frcs-orl-hns-ent-consultant

Mr Osama Dessouky MSc MD FRCS (ORL-HNS) ENT Consultant

Written by a patient at Croydon University Hospital
12th November 2020

Dr Dessouky is nothing short of a legend! He has changed my life in many ways medically, socially, physically and mentally. I was referred to him due to having breathing difficulties, a deviated septum and a hump on my nose due to an accident as a child. I had an initial consultation with Dr Dessouky at Croydon University hospital (6 months after I had an operation on my ear to fix my ear drum.) I explained to him my issues of sleeping and waking up with a very sore throat every morning as well as feeling like I have constant sinusitis. I also advised how self conscious I was of my nose and that I was keen on getting surgery to fix my nose internally and externally at what ever cost. I was examined and had a discussion about what my options were for open and closed surgery. Fast forward to the day of my operation, Dr Dessouky went through all the medical questions required. I was very nervous as I had an operation around 10 months before. Dr Dessouky made me feel at ease and explained the whole operation to ensure I understood what procedure I was having fully! The operation went on a lot longer than planned however was successful. I was checked on by Dr Dessouky when I woke up and handed over to the nurses. The day my dressing were removed was a bit disappointing due to having a small infection in my incision as I was given the incorrect medical advice by the nurses never the less I was extremely happy with nose. It's obviously a major concern that my nose would come out terribly bad and will look awful after an operation on it but after all I was so frustrated with nose physically and medically I would have been happy to get it taken off my face altogether. I not only had medical problems with my nose but also had mental issues due to the hump on my nose after comments received from children at school. After seeing my nose for the first time I could burst with pride. I no longer had to walk into a room and face someone head on because I did want them to look at my side profile or avoid pictures in case it was a bad angle. Over a year after my operation the real results are clear. My mental state and confidence have done a U turn. My part time self employed business is now full time and I feel like I can face the world! I thought my biggest problem was not being able breath properly but now I realise it was much more than that. I can now look at old picture of me and not hate myself. My nose was nothing but a burden something I fault about when I was out in public continuously and that festered in my brain at night keeping me awake due to the poor breathing. I can not thank you enough Dr Dessoukey. If it wasn't for your patience, passion, knowledge, confidence and skill, my life wouldn't have changed so dramatically. A highlight for me from this experience was returning to Dr Dessoukey 15 months later to be discharge from his clinic and seeing how proud he was of his work. His passion and dedication really shines through and I am so glad we crossed paths. Thanks again! Nancy Walsh I give consent for you to use any of my photo's to show your future patients, team or students as you see fit.

Written by a patient at Croydon University Hospital
22nd October 2020

Very Experienced Surgeon and explained everything well in detail, before surgery. I am very happy with his professional approach

#sayThankYou

My Name is Robert,male aged 41. I was referred to Dr Dessouky at Croydon University hospital because I was having throat problems, pain,tightness in throat and hoarse voice. Being rather anxious in the waiting area, as soon as Dr Dessouky called me through he greeted me with a smile,which automatically made me feel at ease. I explained all my issues, then gave me a thorough examination and used a camera to check my throat. He then diagnosed my condition as acid re-flux and my throat had signs of acid burns, he reassured me this was very common and there was nothing sinister to be concerned about. His manner and how calming he was, was amazing , I felt so much tension in the days building up to this appointment and it just went and I felt this amazing relief. Due to the Covid-19 I could not attend my follow up appointment but Dr Dessouky phoned me today for a follow up appointment, I had some concerns which I wanted to discuss as my acid had flared a bit recently and was triggering my asthma, but he reassured me, gave me some advice, and as always put me at complete ease. I cannot express how grateful I am for this wonderful care system with have, and I will be forever grateful for all the amazing care and support I have been given. From the bottom of my heart thank you. Kind regards. Robert Below I have written the changes and steps I have made,hopefully it may help anyone who is suffering from similar acid re-flux. The steps I have made based on the advice the Dr gave me, and further research I have made. 1.Stopped all fizzy drinks. 2.Stopped eating sugary food, cakes etc. 3.(This really helps) breathing techniques, to keep stress and anxiety levels down. The Hoff breathing technique. 4.Improved diet, I eat 3 meals a day plus 2 healthy snacks, I do not eat after 6 pm currently,when I am back to work I wont eat after 7 pm. I also try and avoid any foods that may induce acid. Also my meals balanced , so in lunch and dinner, I have protein, carbs,and veg. 5.Eating slowly and chewing food more, this reduces indigestion and reduces acid. 5. I am taking Gaviscon for a recommended period of 6 weeks .I take 2 spoons after breakfast and 2 spoons after dinner. 6. Exercise , I for the last weeks have begun exercising, and this week I found the amazing NHS couch to 5k app, today I completed run 2 of week 1. (side note on the exercise I noticed that after exercise my acid was a bit worse which triggers asthma feelings, but i did some research today, and found out you need to wait 2-3 hours after eating before exercise, where i was eating breakfast (porridge and raisins)then exercising 40 mins to 1 hr later. So now I will exercise first then eat breakfast after.

14th May 2020

Mr Osama Dessouky MSc MD FRCS (ORL-HNS) ENT Consultant was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Specialist interest in Rhinoplasty, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Turbinate reduction surgery, Nasal blockage, Nasal allergy, Sinusitis, Snoring, Smell Disorders, General Paediatric ENT and General ENT

Nearest Otolaryngologists

Short link to review Mr Osama Dessouky MSc MD FRCS (ORL-HNS) ENT Consultant: http://iwgc.net/eh6ui