Mr Osama Abu Ghazza

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology

31st May 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Surrey County Hospital

I was told at my consultation that I would receive an oestrogen blocking hormone to treat my fibroids. However, I was not told what it would be by the doctor nor any of the team at Royal Surrey, nor any details of the treatment or where it would be injected. It turned out to be Zoladex implant, a capsule delivered under the skin of the stomach using a large needle. I had not been prepared for this nor given any information concerning the risks of the drug, which I considered to be extremely unprofessional. I am a tiny and very sensitive lady, and this treatment seemed to me particularly cruel and barbaric. Actually, it was not just the doctor, but the whole team at Royal Surrey/ NHS in my area (GP included) that I considered to be completely shambolic. The admin was beyond unbelievably bad, and the standards of administering injections and taking bloods (by the junior nurses) very poor. I was told I would be given an "urgent" MRI scan, only to then be told that it would be a 3 week wait - at which point I told them not to bother. Even though I only had 1x Zoladex injection, I decided to discontinue treatment (and forego surgery) very soon after the injection as it made me feel so ill. I put myself on a vegan diet with enzyme therapy. Even though my fibroids have grown back slightly, they are stable and don't seem to be growing any more for the moment. My digestive symptoms have also improved on this diet. It just goes to show how, with a little research, one can take steps to improve one's own health. Who needs doctors?

Nearest Obstetricians and gynaecologists