Mr Navraj Atwal

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

15th July 2019
Written by a patient at Winfield Hospital

Five weeks ago I had a unicompartmental knee replacement performed by Mr. Atwal, following a long standing history of knee pain which had deteriorated significantly over the last 18 months, I walked with a limp, my walking distance greatly reduced and I could not work in the garden. From the initial consultation with Mr. Atwal, right through to the post-operation consultation, the whole process was carried out superbly. I was put at ease by Mr. Atwal who explained all aspects with care and consideration. I was discharged after an overnight stay at the Winfield, where the whole team were professional, caring and helpful. The physio therapy at the Winfield has also been thorough and effective, with sound practical advice. I am now walking with ease, without the aid of a stick. I feel really well and looking forward to gradually increasing my range of activities. I cannot thank Mr. Atwal enough for his skill, enthusiastic professionism and caring attitude.

12th February 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I am writing to thank Mr. Atwal for his excellent work in providing me with both a knee replacement last year and a hip replacement this year. His treatment coupled with the caring attitude of the hospital staff has helped me attain fast recovery. He has always been kind. It is not just the treatment, but the care and empathy shown by him which makes the world a better place for me to live in now. In the past I have associated the word Surgery with suffering and misery, following 5 previous operations on my knee which was carried out by various surgeons. After being under the careful watch of a Specialist like Mr. Atwal I now associate Surgery with Healthy Recovery. I still remember the day when I was admitted to the hospital for knee replacement surgery last October. It was one of the toughest times in my life. However, the personal attention and kindness shown by Mr. Atwal and his staff helped me overcome my trepidations about surgery. On the 2nd of January this year it became necessary for me to have a hip replacement. I specifically asked for Mr. Atwal to perform the surgery, I have never felt as comfortable going into hospital in my life before. The counseling I received from him before undergoing the surgery was crucial in my speedy recovery. He is an extraordinary surgeon and an extraordinary human being. Thank you very much Mr. Atwal for giving me back my quality of life.

8th January 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I initially met Mr Atwal through the NHS at Chelt general hospital but decided to go private as i could not walk and being self employed i could not be off work. My knee was in need of an arthroscopy procedure. Mr Atwal explained what was wrong and what he could do to fix it, it was that simple. I arrived on the day of the op on crutches and walked out of hospital later that very day unaided. Can i say better than that? The follow up by him was very good and i apreciated his very thorough approach and i would have no hesitation in recommending him. You are in good hands with Mr Atwal.

13th September 2018
Written by a patient at Winfield Hospital

I had a long standing problem with my right knee, I had a cartilage operation 35yrs ago and have had three lots of keyhole surgery to clean out and evaluate the joint. Heavy wear and arthritis had taken its toll and I had constant pain especially at night and I had started to limp. Asking my GP for a referral, he guided me to Mr Atwal at the Winfield, he asked me all about my history and went through my current problems with my knee. A MRI scan later and he could see and understand the problem. Although a partial knee replacement was an option, because of my age and the fact that only one side of my knee joint was worn he couldn't recommend that this was the best option for me. I felt beaten, I thought I had to put up with things for another 10yrs. Mr Atwal then explained to my husband and I that there was an experimental procedure that would suit my knee as it would help the damaged side without major surgery or replacing parts of the joint. He had done the procedure a couple of times already and things were very promising. But it could not be done on the NHS as it was still new, so it meant going private. He gave us all the information to go away and digest and to contact him with our decision. I felt confident in Mr Atwal, his explanation and the positive attitude he came across with, so I decided to proceed. The day of the operation he was upbeat and his confidence helped me to stay calm. On waking he was in to check on me explaining that all and gone well and what to expect. The recovery period was as he had described, the very neat cuts had healed and the knee pain subsiding as the days and weeks went by. I have now had my 6 week check up, I have reached all the physiotherapy goals they had set. And I am vertually pain free, it is still early days but the difference is remarkable and I cannot thank Mr Atwal enough. His knowledge, guidance and professionallism is first class and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needed knee surgery.

11th September 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Atwal is a charming and approachable man who made me feel confident in his ability to perform my knee replacement. He listened to me, answered all my questions and as a result I was not at all nervous about the surgery. The surgery went very well and my new knee is performing better that I expected. I would recommend Mt Atwal to anyone who is needing knee surgery.

Short link to review Mr Navraj Atwal: http://iwgc.net/ef92j