Mr Navraj Atwal

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

13th September 2018
Written by a patient at Winfield Hospital

I had a long standing problem with my right knee, I had a cartilage operation 35yrs ago and have had three lots of keyhole surgery to clean out and evaluate the joint. Heavy wear and arthritis had taken its toll and I had constant pain especially at night and I had started to limp. Asking my GP for a referral, he guided me to Mr Atwal at the Winfield, he asked me all about my history and went through my current problems with my knee. A MRI scan later and he could see and understand the problem. Although a partial knee replacement was an option, because of my age and the fact that only one side of my knee joint was worn he couldn't recommend that this was the best option for me. I felt beaten, I thought I had to put up with things for another 10yrs. Mr Atwal then explained to my husband and I that there was an experimental procedure that would suit my knee as it would help the damaged side without major surgery or replacing parts of the joint. He had done the procedure a couple of times already and things were very promising. But it could not be done on the NHS as it was still new, so it meant going private. He gave us all the information to go away and digest and to contact him with our decision. I felt confident in Mr Atwal, his explanation and the positive attitude he came across with, so I decided to proceed. The day of the operation he was upbeat and his confidence helped me to stay calm. On waking he was in to check on me explaining that all and gone well and what to expect. The recovery period was as he had described, the very neat cuts had healed and the knee pain subsiding as the days and weeks went by. I have now had my 6 week check up, I have reached all the physiotherapy goals they had set. And I am vertually pain free, it is still early days but the difference is remarkable and I cannot thank Mr Atwal enough. His knowledge, guidance and professionallism is first class and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needed knee surgery.

11th September 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Atwal is a charming and approachable man who made me feel confident in his ability to perform my knee replacement. He listened to me, answered all my questions and as a result I was not at all nervous about the surgery. The surgery went very well and my new knee is performing better that I expected. I would recommend Mt Atwal to anyone who is needing knee surgery.

31st August 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

In March 2017, my 18 year old daughter, Chloe, snapped her ACL, LCL and MCL whilst playing rugby. It was immediately apparent that an operation would be needed. Mr Atwal performed this operation. I cannot speak highly enough about Mr Atwal’s professionalism towards my daughter, Chloe. At the eleventh hour, her original Consultant had to withdraw from my daughter’s surgery due to an injury he had sustained which would have delayed surgery by several months. It was at this time that Mr Atwal stepped in and saved the day. His flexibility to adapt to the situation and see her for the first time on the day just prior to the operation was second to none. His positive attitude towards Chloe’s injury and the possible outcome lifted her spirits no end and gave her encouragement and hope where previously, under her original Consultant, her world had come crashing down around her after having been told that she would never play the sport she enjoyed again. Chloe was reassured and inspired by Mr Atwal’s knowledge and expertise in his field of surgery and also in his passion not only to fix her knee, but to get her back to playing sport again at the level she was prior to her injury. Under his guidance, she has fully recovered and her knee is as strong, if not stronger, than prior to her injury. Chloe, one year on, is now back at University and training hard playing both rugby and football and has just recently represented Gloucestershire Ladies FC enabling her to finally be awarded her County Cap. Chloe is now enjoying being back out on the field doing what she does best, playing with her team mates in the sports she enjoys. Thank you Mr Atwal, we owe it all to you!

5th June 2018
Written by a carer at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Atwal performed a partial knee replacement on my mother. His care and surgical expertise are in my opinion, second to none. My mother is delighted with her new knee and is highly recommending Mr Atwal to her friends.

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Navraj Atwal, Orthopaedic Consultant & Surgeon Review, November 2017 - By Malcolm Taylor, Marlborough Road, Gloucester, GL4 6GE. 21.11.2017. (Knee Arthroscopy Operation to remove broken Cartilage and clean joint up) Background For some years I had been suffering from clicking in my left knee and pain after walking for approximately ten minutes preventing enjoyment of long walks with my dog but on the plus side preventing long shopping trips with my partner. Then in October 2017 I slipped over badly on my bad knee resulting in it locking so I could not straighten in it for several days and then I could only walk on it using a crutch and with gritted teeth. Pre Operation Consultation with Mr N Atwal I referred to websites at the Winfield and Nuffield and Mr Atwal stood out in terms of knee speciality experience and also being mature but not too long in the tooth not to know the latest and best medical procedures. Mr Atwal saw me very quickly and had a very professional while friendly approach. He inspected my knee thoroughly but gently and projected great knee knowledge and competence. As I had never had an operation of any sort before and this one was going to be my first and a general anaesthetic I was scared but my fears were greatly alleviated, mainly because I realised Mr Atwal knew what he was doing. And I trusted him to do the very best for me. I had seen another Consultant previously and this had not been the case. Operation Day 6th November 2017 My operation took place at the Nuffield in Cheltenham. The staff were calmly reassuring and the Anaesthetist excellent in letting me know what was going to happen and that everything would be okay. Mr Atwal came to see me before the operation and built my trust in him further to the point that I was less alarmed when going down to theatre than when going to the Dentist for a filling. Theatre wasn’t as scary a place as I had imagined and the Anaesthetist talked to me pleasantly while I quickly went to sleep. Next thing I knew the operation was over and I was back in the recovery room feeling much better than expected. Post Operation – I can walk again! The very next day and to my surprise I could walk without the need of the crutch I had needed previously. The clicking in my knee had gone for the first time in years and although slightly stiff my knee felt so much better which was such a relief, as before the operation the pain had become draining and made life a grey place to be in. My knee has continued to get better although I need to exercise it gently every day. Am hoping to do long walks again with the dog shortly but the crutch is still in the back of the car in case anyone asks me to go shopping with them. Mr Navraj Atwal – Recommendation I have absolutely no hesitation in fully recommending Mr Atwal for not only the effectiveness of his operations but also the confidence he gives you when you see him to go forward and sort your knee problems out. In my view he is simply the best knee Consultant Surgeon there is!!

Short link to review Mr Navraj Atwal: http://iwgc.net/ef92j