Mr Navraj Atwal

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

12th February 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I am writing to thank Mr. Atwal for his excellent work in providing me with both a knee replacement last year and a hip replacement this year. His treatment coupled with the caring attitude of the hospital staff has helped me attain fast recovery. He has always been kind. It is not just the treatment, but the care and empathy shown by him which makes the world a better place for me to live in now. In the past I have associated the word Surgery with suffering and misery, following 5 previous operations on my knee which was carried out by various surgeons. After being under the careful watch of a Specialist like Mr. Atwal I now associate Surgery with Healthy Recovery. I still remember the day when I was admitted to the hospital for knee replacement surgery last October. It was one of the toughest times in my life. However, the personal attention and kindness shown by Mr. Atwal and his staff helped me overcome my trepidations about surgery. On the 2nd of January this year it became necessary for me to have a hip replacement. I specifically asked for Mr. Atwal to perform the surgery, I have never felt as comfortable going into hospital in my life before. The counseling I received from him before undergoing the surgery was crucial in my speedy recovery. He is an extraordinary surgeon and an extraordinary human being. Thank you very much Mr. Atwal for giving me back my quality of life.

8th January 2019
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

I initially met Mr Atwal through the NHS at Chelt general hospital but decided to go private as i could not walk and being self employed i could not be off work. My knee was in need of an arthroscopy procedure. Mr Atwal explained what was wrong and what he could do to fix it, it was that simple. I arrived on the day of the op on crutches and walked out of hospital later that very day unaided. Can i say better than that? The follow up by him was very good and i apreciated his very thorough approach and i would have no hesitation in recommending him. You are in good hands with Mr Atwal.

13th September 2018
Written by a patient at Winfield Hospital

I had a long standing problem with my right knee, I had a cartilage operation 35yrs ago and have had three lots of keyhole surgery to clean out and evaluate the joint. Heavy wear and arthritis had taken its toll and I had constant pain especially at night and I had started to limp. Asking my GP for a referral, he guided me to Mr Atwal at the Winfield, he asked me all about my history and went through my current problems with my knee. A MRI scan later and he could see and understand the problem. Although a partial knee replacement was an option, because of my age and the fact that only one side of my knee joint was worn he couldn't recommend that this was the best option for me. I felt beaten, I thought I had to put up with things for another 10yrs. Mr Atwal then explained to my husband and I that there was an experimental procedure that would suit my knee as it would help the damaged side without major surgery or replacing parts of the joint. He had done the procedure a couple of times already and things were very promising. But it could not be done on the NHS as it was still new, so it meant going private. He gave us all the information to go away and digest and to contact him with our decision. I felt confident in Mr Atwal, his explanation and the positive attitude he came across with, so I decided to proceed. The day of the operation he was upbeat and his confidence helped me to stay calm. On waking he was in to check on me explaining that all and gone well and what to expect. The recovery period was as he had described, the very neat cuts had healed and the knee pain subsiding as the days and weeks went by. I have now had my 6 week check up, I have reached all the physiotherapy goals they had set. And I am vertually pain free, it is still early days but the difference is remarkable and I cannot thank Mr Atwal enough. His knowledge, guidance and professionallism is first class and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needed knee surgery.

11th September 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

Mr Atwal is a charming and approachable man who made me feel confident in his ability to perform my knee replacement. He listened to me, answered all my questions and as a result I was not at all nervous about the surgery. The surgery went very well and my new knee is performing better that I expected. I would recommend Mt Atwal to anyone who is needing knee surgery.

31st August 2018
Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital

In March 2017, my 18 year old daughter, Chloe, snapped her ACL, LCL and MCL whilst playing rugby. It was immediately apparent that an operation would be needed. Mr Atwal performed this operation. I cannot speak highly enough about Mr Atwal’s professionalism towards my daughter, Chloe. At the eleventh hour, her original Consultant had to withdraw from my daughter’s surgery due to an injury he had sustained which would have delayed surgery by several months. It was at this time that Mr Atwal stepped in and saved the day. His flexibility to adapt to the situation and see her for the first time on the day just prior to the operation was second to none. His positive attitude towards Chloe’s injury and the possible outcome lifted her spirits no end and gave her encouragement and hope where previously, under her original Consultant, her world had come crashing down around her after having been told that she would never play the sport she enjoyed again. Chloe was reassured and inspired by Mr Atwal’s knowledge and expertise in his field of surgery and also in his passion not only to fix her knee, but to get her back to playing sport again at the level she was prior to her injury. Under his guidance, she has fully recovered and her knee is as strong, if not stronger, than prior to her injury. Chloe, one year on, is now back at University and training hard playing both rugby and football and has just recently represented Gloucestershire Ladies FC enabling her to finally be awarded her County Cap. Chloe is now enjoying being back out on the field doing what she does best, playing with her team mates in the sports she enjoys. Thank you Mr Atwal, we owe it all to you!

Short link to review Mr Navraj Atwal: http://iwgc.net/ef92j