mr-mo-akmal-md-frcs

Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS

10th November 2021

After suffering with back pain for most of my 20s, I am so happy I found Mr Mo Akmal. I had many years of misdiagnosis and never really felt my condition was understood. After my first consultation with Mr Akmal I felt like he understood me and I knew I was in safe hands. We went through all of my options and after a year of treatment, decided it was time for a L5/S1 Primary Posterior Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation. The whole process was really easy and straightforward and I was able to leave the hospital the same day. The recovery period was tough at times, but I can honestly say so worth it. The difference it has made to my life is amazing. I am now 4 months post-op, I feel incredible and am back to normal daily life without back pain. After suffering for so long, I feel like a huge wait has been lifted and that is all thanks to Mr Akmal and his team. All of whom were incredibly professional and kind. I would like to give a special thanks to Mr Akmal and Dr Lok for the reassuring phone calls during my recovery period at home - I'm not sure if they realise just how reassuring they were. I have no hesitation in recommending their services. Thank you so much.

10th May 2021

I have known Dr Akmal and his team for the past 8 years, I have seen him and his team ON and OFF for issues regarding my neck, C4/5, C5/6 , C6/7. I first had 3 lots of injections into this area back at the start of things. This helped me for 3 years. Dr Akmal did not want to operate at the time due to my age still been under 40 then. After 3 years I had to see Dr Akmal and his team again. We tried the injection route again but after a few attempts we then had to make the call to cut. I had C5/6 and C6/7 +/- C4/5 anterior cervical decompression and fusion / disc replacement carried out. This was a success and I was out of the hospital within 3 days and recovery took place for the next few months. This year I was operated on the back of my neck for a posterior cervical foraminotomy on the left side at the C5/6 and C6/7 levels. We tried the injections last year but this did not help. Due to Covid to this should have been carried out last year. Dr Akmal explained the risks include nerve injury, dural tear and pain post-operatively but the procedure is fairly routine and the risks are relatively low. Surgery has now taken place back in February. I was released the same day later that evening and been back for my check ups and things are looking up. I am currently training for a half triathlon that I will take part in second week of July. I am doing anything from 120 km to 170 km a week on the bike and running now upto 10 km a day on my running days. I have not been able to swim yet due to pools been closed but I have no issues with movement in me neck. I am very happy I chose Dr Akmal from the start. I did seen two others before him, they were happy to just cut and not look at what was best for me. I also strongly believe the newer technology Dr Akmal uses has really helped me any my life style I lead with sports. I know I would not have had the same results if I did not take the route with Dr Akmal. I really can’t say much more but I am very happy I met Dr Akmal when I did, he has been great and so has his team. Patient Miles McWilliams

21st April 2021

I had difficult times with my disc prolapse in my lower back. The pain was getting worse despite pain killers and physiotherapy. I was a bit nervous considering surgical treatment as a definte solution. The consultation with Mr. Mo Akmal was informative and reassuring and helped me to make a decision going ahead for the surgical option. On the day of the procedure, the staff was welcoming and looked experienced and knew exaclty what they were doing. Mr. Mo Akmal spoke to me before and after the procedure. In less than 2hrs, after the porcedure, I was able to stand, walk, and sit down with no pain. I strongly recommend Mr. Mo Akmal for anybody who has a similar condition.

28th March 2021

My personal experience of The London Spine Unit in Harley Street London and the whole team of surgeon Mo Akmal written two weeks after my Surgery . It’s been an absolutely amazing experience. I am a 58 year old male . Many years ago I was breaking some concrete with a very large sledgehammer that’s where all my problems started. During these many years I have undergone Facet joint injections, many appointments with Osteopaths,Chiropractors,Acupuncture,Massages etc etc the list is endless.They would be helpful for a few days and then the pain in my back and weakness in my legs would return. 2019 had Mri of lumbar area showed disc bulge trapping nerves in l4/5 areas I underwent an open surgery on Nhs to cut away part of the disc that was causing the problem.I was in hospital for 5 days and recovery took many months, Then the pain returned!!I then decided to live with the unbearable pain as I couldn’t go through all that again, I was recommended to Mo Akmal, he arranged a much clearer Mri within two hours he took a look and identified the problem the following week after my pre op assessment my keyhole surgery was done within 2 hours , immediately I was pain free I noticed immediately the pain free sensation I was very happy with the outcome , it was so simple , I could walk painfree. I came in a taxi in the morning and took a taxi back home in the evening . Mo akmal Is a very professional surgeon it was like talking to a friend no rush at all , didn’t even seem like a surgery, Member of his team calls me three times a week to see how I’m getting on. Now I don’t even think about my back as I have zero pain , I sleep well, I feel much better from within, I have no hesitation in recommending Mo Akmal . I am a person that does so much research into things like this as I know the risks aswell as the benefits,I jumped at the opportunity that was given to me for this keyhole surgery. I did not tell anyone of my friends as they really did not know the pain I was in and if I had told them I know they would of discouraged me f going ahead. 2 weeks later I feel totally pain free. If in any doubt I do not mind Mo giving my email to anyone as long as I can help them out of pain .

22nd March 2021

Competant diagnosis, accurate predictions, very satisfactory outcome. I have had two excellent treatments and results under Mr Akmal's care.

Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

One of London's Leading Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeons. Specialises in minimally invasive spinal surgery, Balloon Kyphoplasty, Cervical and Lumbar Disc Replacement, Lumbar Fusion, Laser Disc Surgery (PLDD), Spinal Injections, Radiofrequency denervation and Scoliosis. Treatment of neck pain, back pain, sciatica, spinal infection, spinal trauma, spinal tumours and degenerative spine conditions. Leading spine consultant at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and The Harley Street Hospital.

Short link to review Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS: http://iwgc.net/eem4b