mr-mo-akmal-md-frcs

Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS

25th November 2020

Before treatment from Mo Akmal my quality of life was severely impacted by a herniated disc. Normally very active, I was bent double and could not walk, sit or stand for more than 15 minutes without chronic pain. I tried physiotherapy, a chiropractor and injections. The surgery Mr Akmal performed was miraculous. I walked out of theatre upright for the first time in 6 months and have not had any problems since. It has felt unbelievably good to finally have my life back. A simple walk down the street has become such a joy. This surgery was worth every single penny.

18th November 2020

I suffered severe back and neck pain for 10 years. i visited copious amounts of “specialists” none of whom could help. I finally asked my GP to get me an MRI scan (because i don't believe you can diagnose a problem without imaging) to which my GP refused and said i am not “priority”. I have some friends who are doctors and i asked them “who is the best spinal surgeon in the country?”. Everyone including other surgeons themselves say Mr Mo Akmal is the best of the best. The professionalism is 1st class. Instantly from the imaging he explained the C5 disc is bulging. He recommended i have a percutaneous laser discectomy decompression in conjunction with an epidural steroid injection. From the second i woke up from the procedure I’ve been pain free. All the pulling and aching in the right side of my back has gone completely. 1st class experience. From the reception staff to the nurses and the environment was exceptional. I am forever grateful for the care i received.

19th November 2020
Response from Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS

Thank you for the kind review. Our passion is to deliver the least invasive and most effective solutions for spinal conditions. We wish you a continuing strong recovery. London Spine Unit Team.

28th August 2020

Cervical bulging disc I visited Mr Akmal with severe cervical radiculopathy and muscle loss due to a bulging cervical disk. I was unable to pick my children up, work full days or participate in any sports. I had exhausted all other avenues of treatment and had reservations about visiting a surgeon. Mr Akmal put my mind at ease straight away. He is extremely professional, an excellent communicator and clearly has a great passion and expertise for what he does. I had an MRI and two consultations in one morning which was extremely convenient and well organised. Mr Akmal then clearly and concisely talked me through the cause of my cervical pain and possible solutions and outcomes of treatments. I felt no pressure to have any procedures carried out and in fact, Mr Akmal discouraged me from surgery straight away due to the possibility of natural recovery. At no point did I feel rushed and Mr Akmal gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. I opted for steroid injections to possibly speed/help this process along. Unfortunately, the cervical disc was quite stubborn and I returned 6 weeks later to have a cervical laser discectomy procedure. All of my procedures were carried out onsite at the Harley Street Hospital. The facility is world-class and every member of Mr Akmal’s team were outstanding from start to finish. You truly feel like you are in the best hands possible. 9 months on I am pain-free and have returned to normal life. I am eternally grateful for Mr Akmal’s skill and the manner in which he helped me navigate a difficult chapter in my life. I cannot recommend Mr Akmal highly enough.

14th August 2020

From the outset Mr Akmal treated me with respect and was able to determine what the root cause of my problems were. I am grateful to him for extending my active life and whilst he is a very nice man, I hope not to see him again as the treatment continues to give me relief from back pain. What is good about Mr Akmal is that he is happy to continue to give support after the operation and whilst going through the recovery period.

24th July 2020

I had pain in my back for over a year and at 46 with 3 young children it had become a real problem, the pain had become so bad I could barely walk round the block without stopping several times. It was affecting my daily mood as aside from the pain, I just couldn’t do what I wanted to do with the children. I had tried 3 cortisone injections without success and a repeat MRI showed the bulged disc had got worse not better leaving a very narrow canal for the nerves. I was told surgery (Microdiscectomy) was the only option and was recommended to Mo Akmal and his team as during the covid-19 pandemic options were limited but because he is able to perform this type of surgery as day surgery it could be done., and my case was becoming urgent ‘Back surgery’ seems to create an issue in peoples’ minds with an assumption that it can lead to months of difficult recovery, risk, uncertain outcomes and other concerns. Even my wife asked if I really felt it was necessary but for me, I knew I had no choice with constant 8/10 pain affecting my daily life. The fact that Mo and the team made it seem so easy is the first thing I would say. It felt like a minor procedure rather than surgery and that is important! When my healthcare provider authorised the surgery they said it was a 3 days hospital stay but I assured them that it was a day procedure as Mo had explained to me and sure enough, I arrived at 8am and left at 4p.m, picked up by my wife. The hospital is relaxing and clean, the staff were helpful and attentive, but the important bit is I was walking pain free 90 minutes after surgery, I dressed myself and went home, I was able to sleep normally and walk round the house from the time I got home, and was doing short walks within days. I was 100% pain free instantly and still am following my 6-week check and life is pretty much back to normal, just taking care for another 6 weeks or so with too much bending and twisting. I cannot recommend Mo and his team highly enough. He has changed my life in a day and I’m eternally grateful”

One of London's Leading Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeons. Specialises in minimally invasive spinal surgery, Balloon Kyphoplasty, Cervical and Lumbar Disc Replacement, Lumbar Fusion, Laser Disc Surgery (PLDD), Spinal Injections, Radiofrequency denervation and Scoliosis. Treatment of neck pain, back pain, sciatica, spinal infection, spinal trauma, spinal tumours and degenerative spine conditions. Leading spine consultant at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and The Harley Street Hospital.

Short link to review Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS: http://iwgc.net/eem4b