mr-mo-akmal-md-frcs

Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS

1st February 2023

Mr Akmal performed a cervical disk replacement on me about three months ago, after more conventional treatment routes had been explored and exhausted. The surgery has been successful and I have regained full strength of my right arm, which had been heavily impacted by a prolapsed disk. Mr Akmal is kind and professional, he will listen to your own perception of the problem and use his professional judgement to suggest the most effective course of treatment. I appreciated his suggestions of conventional minimally invasive procedures first, and I feel the more invasive treatment was suggested and performed at the right time. My disk replacement was done on a outpatient basis, which meant I was discharged on the same night and allowed to recover in the comfort of my own home - which might seem trivial but does make a major impact. I felt in safe hands with Mr Akmal and all his staff at the London Spine Unit as well as the Harley Street Hospital. Both have a friendly, professional and efficient atmosphere, the facilities are impeccable and staff are caring and compassionate. I wholeheartedly recommend both facilities and all their staff.

24th October 2022

I was referred to Mr. Akmal following continued spinal issues. I had previously had a fusion in my neck (C5/6) about 15 years ago and was now suffering again. Over more than 9 months, my level of pain and disability had increased to an unbearable level. I now live in Malta and the surgeons here could not help as the situation was too complex due to the previous operation. There were issue both above and below the original fusion. Mr. Akmal and the team at the London Spine Clinic were amazing and the level of care was very high. Following the initial consultations, The continual flow of information, both before and after the operation was superb. I felt very confident that I was in good hands. This was proved to be correct and Mr. Akmal performed a double operation in one process. He fitted a prosthetic disc above the original fusion and performed another fusion directly below. The operation was done in one day and the pain relief was immediate. The level of follow up support was second to none and the team were caring and attentive. Dr. Lok was very good and reassuring, being happy to see or talk to me whenever I needed. Some weeks later, any residual pain is just about gone, and I am back to living a normal life again. I have nothing but praise and gratitude for Mr. Akmal and his team and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is in need of spinal care. Thank you!

30th August 2022

I would give 5 stars and highly recommend Mr. Mo Akmal of the London Spine Unit at Harley Street. Mr Akmal is an amazing surgeon who really took time to understand my symptoms and gave sensible advice to help me. I wish I had found him years ago but I'm so pleased that he is here, if I ever need him again. At the consultation, he took time to go over the diagnosis clearly and we discussed the treatments options carefully. The surgery itself went smoothly. I was really impressed that they could do such complicated surgery as a day case. My anaesthetic was great as I felt no nausea or pain at all afterwards. I was called the day after the surgery to make sure everything was ok. Overall, my experience was wonderful and reassuring from start to finish but most importantly, I am very grateful to Mr Akmal for his expertise in giving me some quality of life back. I wholeheartedly recommend him and his surgical team.

8th June 2022

I was referred to The London Spine Unit after my physio suspected a back problem resulting in severely painful legs and difficulty walking. Dr Akmal arranged to see me quickly and an MRI confirmed his thought that I had spinal stenosis, resulting in pain when walking. He recommended a day-case operation to insert a small spacer between the vertebrae in my lower back, as he was confident that this would solve my problem. The operation was six weeks ago, and the results are truly amazing. I am back to normal, and I cannot recommend Dr Akmal and The London Spine Unit highly enough. Their professionalism and care throughout was absolutely excellent.

22nd March 2022

I can't thank Mr Akmal and team at the London Spine Unit enough for their help. I had a herniated disc in my back which was causing pain and restrictions. Compared to other offers of surgery (e.g. several nights in hospital), the day surgery and minimally invasive procedure were hugely appealing. I am now 3 weeks post surgery, have no pain and am recovering incredibly quickly if I compare myself to friends who have had a similar procedure. it was truly remarkable, straightforward and the team were kind, friendly and always helpful. very highly recommended!

One of London's Leading Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeons. Specialises in minimally invasive spinal surgery, Balloon Kyphoplasty, Cervical and Lumbar Disc Replacement, Lumbar Fusion, Laser Disc Surgery (PLDD), Spinal Injections, Radiofrequency denervation and Scoliosis. Treatment of neck pain, back pain, sciatica, spinal infection, spinal trauma, spinal tumours and degenerative spine conditions. Leading spine consultant at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and The Harley Street Hospital.

Short link to review Mr Mo Akmal MD FRCS: http://iwgc.net/eem4b