mr-michael-mokawem

Written by a NHS patient at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
4th March 2021

Mr Mokawem is very kind, patient and trustworthy. He always explained my Daughters procedures very clearly and in a way that we could both fully understand. He always had time to answer any questions and never seemed in a hurry or ever rushed his answers. My Daughter was in hospital for just over two weeks and Mr Mokawem saw my daughter regularly during her Hospital stay to see how her recovery was going. He is an excellent surgeon and did an amazing job with correcting my Daughters scoliosis, we are beyond happy with the result. We couldn't recommend him highly enough.

Written by a patient at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
15th January 2021

Is hard to explain in a few words what Doctor Mokawem did for me. He knew what I went through during this 5 years. Since day one he was very patient with me but immediately acted towards a solution. I had more than 10 operation in my life and this is one of the best. He is a top specialist not only from a technical point of view but also on the empathy and care he has. I couldn't be more happy about the treatment and care I received from him and from all the people at the Stanmore hospital and clinic. I would like to thank him and you all for this. Wish you the best and thank you. Alessandro Corona

Written by a carer at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
29th December 2020

Our son has complex needs and during the last 18 years, we have seen many medical professionals. The level of care provided by Mr Mokawem is the best we have experienced. As a surgeon, he is obviously very skilful as the correction of our son's spinal curvature is far better than we had hoped for. As a doctor, before and after the surgery, Mr Mokawem always showed empathy, and was willing to patiently answer our many questions.

Written by a carer at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
29th November 2020

My daughter was treated as a joint case with Mr Mokawem as elective surgeries are not currently being carried out in our local hospital. Our initial appointment was via the internet as a ‘zoom’ type meeting. This worked well as enabled my daughter’s dad to attend also. Even though remote meetings can be troublesome with connection and sound delay, we were able to build a good rapport with Mr M and my daughter was happy. At the hospital we couldn’t be more happier with the level of care and information we received. I didn’t feel that the Covid situation negatively impacted our care - just a shame I wasn’t able to shake his hand for a job well done.

Written by a patient at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
9th October 2020

Mr Mokawem is a very engaging and caring Consultant. He was the first doctor to give me hope for a brighter future where all other doctors had failed. He is very attentive and listened to my problems and symptoms and ordered an number of scans. Once the scan results came back I revisited Mr Mokawem and he went through each scan and told me in layman's terms the results and how he could help me if I had tried all other avenues in reducing my back pain. He came across as a person who genuinely wanted to help me and others like me find a solution to my long term back pain. Once surgery was agreed Mr Mokawem kept me well informed and told me to call him at any time if there was something I wished to discuss with him. Before surgery he discussed in detail each procedure and what to expect post surgery clearly and concisely. Post surgery he came to see me every day and was genuinely happy for me that the operations had been successful in removing sciatic pain completely and reducing my back pain immensely. In my opinion I do not believe Mr Mokawem can improve to give even greater care, the care I received from him was exceptional.

Mr Michael Mokawem was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Mr Mokawem is a consultant spinal surgeon specialising in all aspects of spinal surgery with a particular interest in paediatric and adult spine deformities. He advises on non-operative and operative management and supports patients in making fully informed decisions. He uses minimally invasive techniques, computer navigated surgery and traditional open techniques as appropriate. His paediatric scoliosis practice encompasses the full repertoire of management strategies and he is aiming to offer vertebral body tethering in selective cases. Mr Mokawem completed the prestigious National Spine Surgery Fellowship at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals. This is a combined neurosurgical and orthopaedic spine surgery fellowship which covers the breadth of spinal surgery and the full spectrum of spinal conditions in both paediatric and adult patients. He completed a complex spine surgery fellowship at the internationally recognised Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. This included minimally invasive and computer navigated surgery, paediatric deformity surgery and spinal tumour surgery. He undertook an educational visit in September 2018 to the Eifelklinik, Germany to learn about vertebral body tethering. Mr Mokawem has presented at national and international spine surgery conferences and has published in peer reviewed journals. Memberships:British Association of Spine SurgeonsRoyal College of Surgeons of England

Short link to review Mr Michael Mokawem: http://iwgc.net/efpkl