Mr Matthew Stenning

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

9th March 2018
Written by a carer at New Hall Hospital

Writing this on behalf of my husband who has been under the care of Mr Stenning for almost 5 years with continued l4/5 back pain ,with sciatica and cramping in both legs particularly at night. Having tried spinal blocks, epidurals with little to no benefit my husband was offered surgery last year. It was a real last chance for him as work and home life were greatly affected.( yes still worked up to 2 days before surgery as a carpenter) We were informed of the risks and told to research the procedure ourselves to make our own informed decision . I'm not going to lie- there are risks which did concern me, also given my husband had a triple heart by pass 11 years previous at the age of 45. Well, he finally had microdisectomy on Monday-operation went well. Awake and talking after only an hour post surgery. Up to loo next morning with no aids. Thankfully all feeling present in lower legs/ buttocks etc Mr Stenning saw him post op and was pleased how things have gone. Home Tuesday on co-codamol 2- four times a day. First night home not good- pain ++. Unable to sit on loo as too low- also armchair. Contacted hospital re pain and what else he could have- nurse promised she would speak to Mr Stenning re our issues and a few hours later she rang back having spoken to him with a solution. Two days on and he is doing very well- alternating bed rest and sitting in high back armchair courtesy of nhs- along with raised toilet seat!!! Cannot thank Mr Stenning enough and of course all the dedicated nurses and physios at New Hall

13th February 2018
Written by a patient at New Hall Hospital

Having had Chronic sciatica for 3 yrs and mobility significantly reduced I went through the process of Physio, acupuncture, Pain Clinic and finally was referred to Mr Stenning. Despite travelling from Portsmouth for each appointment it has been the best way forward for me. I had severe spinal stenosis at L4/L5 with spondylolisthesis and a spinal fusion was offered. Yes the risks are scary, and yes Mr Stenning did not advise either way. In this age of litigation you are given the facts and decide for yourself. I could not continue in the pain I was having and agreed to surgery. The staff at every stage were wonderful and I felt really cared for and confident. I was blessed to have an excellent recovery requiring minimal pain relief. I behaved myself in the first 6 weeks post op and followed the strict no bending ,lifting , twisting rules for all of that time. Mr Stenning visited the first day post op and answered questions. I was grateful to hear that he said that there was no question about it being the right decision to have surgery. I am just so grateful to him for giving me my life back. Perhaps if you want a hand holding old school type of Consultant you may be disappointed. I would much rather have someone like Matthew Stenning who treats you as an adult, explains things and does not push you to make an uninformed decision. He is a spinal specialist and if things worsen in my neck (same stenosis problem) I would not hesitate in surgery by him once again.

12th September 2017
Written by a patient at New Hall Hospital

Mr Stenning gave me back the ability to walk and changed my life. After two years of agonizing daily pain, the surgery performed by Mr Stenning and his team let me be a human again. I can now walk, run, dance and play with my niece and nephews like any normal person, free of pain. I'm in my 20s, and the surgery I received has allowed me to have a long life of normality, and I hope that the team at New Hall Hospital reads these reviews so that they can hear how truly thankful I am for the work they performed on my spine. I was seen as an NHS patient at the hospital and never once felt I was given anything less than the staff's full attention and care.

3rd July 2017
Written by a patient at New Hall Hospital

Very thorough, straight- forward, professional, communicated information about my choices well. Made my decision clearer regarding surgery which I am opting for. I want a surgeon who is experienced, well-informed and professional.

21st February 2017
Written by a patient at New Hall Hospital

I have been under the care of Mr Stenning for 5 years+. I have had two operations on my back both done by Mr Stenning. I cannot fault the care given not only by Mr Stenning but his whole team and the team at New Halls Hospital

Short link to review Mr Matthew Stenning: http://iwgc.net/efbma