Dr Matthew Knight

Consultant in Respiratory and General Internal Medicine. Dr Knight is the head of the Respiratory Medicine department at West Hertfordshire Hospitals. He has an interest in Pleural diseases, Asthma, Allergy, Cough, Sleep Apnoea and unexplained breathlessness. Special clinical interests: Pleural Disease- Along with Dr Barlow, I co-run the Pleural Disease Service providing both inpatient and outpatient/ambulatory care to patients with pleural disease (such as pleural effusion and pneumothorax). I have authored the hospitals pleural disease management guidelines. I am competent to perform thoracic US and plan to train in medical thoracoscopy. I am the Principle Investigator at the Watford site for the Oxford University led research trial on Ambulatory Management of Pneumothorax (RAMPP trial) Asthma and Allergy- Having completed a Post Graduate Certificate and a number of post graduate courses at Imperial College London, I take a keen interest in allergies relating to the respiratory system. In particular the management of difficult asthma. Chronic Breathlessness- Along with Dr Barlow, Dr Konda and Dr Evans I take an active interest in the investigation and management of unexplained and chronic breathlessness. We are currently developing our Cardio Pulmonary Exercise testing facility here and are looking forward to providing this enhanced diagnostic service here at West Herts. Chronic Cough- I take a keen interest in the investigation and management of chronic cough (that is persistent cough of more than 8 weeks duration). Recurrent respiratory infections- I am keen to consult on patients with recurrent respiratory tract infections (chest infections) to aim to elucidate the cause of their problems and help to implement treatments. Diseases of interest include Pneumonia, Bronchiectasis, Tuberculosis, Sinusitis and immune deficiency. Current posts (NHS, University): Consultant Respiratory Physician. West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust Consultant Respiratory Physician – Central London Community Health Clinical Lecturer in Medicine – University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain. Non-executive Director- Penrose Care Year of first medical qualification: 2005 Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: Royal College of Physicians European Respiratory Society American College of Chest Physicians Royal Society of Medicine British Medical Association General Medical Council Contact details: Direct telephone number: 01923 217698 Secretary's name: Tania Colyer Secretary's telephone number: 01923 217698 Secretary's email address: Tania.colyer@whht.nhs.uk Background Professional Profile I trained at the Royal Free Hospital and subsequently undertook my postgraduate training in the prestigious North West Thames Respiratory Training programme (rotating via the Royal Brompton, Royal Free, Harefield, Barnet, Watford and Northwick Park hospitals). I completed a PGCert in Allergy Medicine at Imperial College. I joined the department as a Consultant in October 2015, having previously worked here some years before as a junior doctor. I am excited about the developments within West Herts that will soon result in us being able to provide 7 day consultant lead and delivered care for our inpatients, a medical High Dependency unit, Medical Thoracoscopy, CardioP Pulmonary Exercise Testing and a greatly enhanced out patient service. I particularly take an interest in Pleural diseases and along with Dr Barlow have set up an outpatient pleural service alongside the inpatient team. We offer a wide range of services to patients in the Trust, allowing care to occur nearer to home. In addition to the standard range of pleural procedures (Chest drains, pleural taps) we offer therapeutic throacentesis, ambulatory management of pneumothorax using Pleural Vents and an Indwelling Pleural Catheter insertion and follow up service. We will soon be introducing a medical thoracoscopy service here within the Trust. I am currently involved in helping set up our new cardiopulmonary exercise testing service- an exciting development that will lead to enhanced diagnostics and management for our patients. This useful investigative tool can help with the diagnosis of the causes of unexplained breathlessness. Having completed post graduate studies in Allergy medicine at Imperial College, alongside Dr Barlow and Dr Odhiambo I help to provide our Asthma and allergy service within the Trust. My particular interests are in the investigation and management of difficult to control asthma. Along with all my colleagues I am actively involved with the provision of the Sleep medicine, lung cancer, Interstitial lung disease, bronchoscopy and COPD community services. Personal Profile Away from medicine I enjoy travel, reading and most importantly relaxing with my family.

• Chest Medicine
  • Internal (General) Medicine
  • Sleep medicine

23rd June 2017
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

I met Dr Matthew Knight a couple of times. I've been suffering from night time snoring and problems with the quality of my sleep for years and years (currently I'm 74). Dr Knight advised me to have a sleep study performed, and severe sleep apnoea was diagnosed. I've now been treated for over a year and the overall quality of my life has improved immensely. Thank you.

16th February 2017
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

I was admitted to Watford General Hospital a few days before Christmas 2015 having suffered an exacerbation/chest infection as a result of Bronchiectasis. I cannot fault Dr. Knight in any respect prescribiing as he did the various antibiotics to counter the infection succesfully. I also found him very approachable, willing to listen to me and answering in depth several questions that I posed to him. I also believe that all of his skills are directed solely and unusually to working for the NHS - I can find no record of him engaging in private practise, which I regard as a testament to his unqualified devotion to caring for his patients without considering monetary gain beyond his employment with the NHS.

5th October 2016
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

I have also submitted a review re Dr Barlow, hence my comments will be very similar. Dr Knight has been part of Dr Barlow's team that have been treating me at Watford as a in-patient and out patient. At all times the treatment care and attention I have received has been excellent. The clarity provided with both treatment and diagnosis has been excellent and helped to provide a great reassurance to myself/family. The demands placed upon the Doctors and their colleagues is extraordinary and totally unrealistic hence for Dr Knight and his colleagues to perform at the very high levels demonstrated to me is nothing short of remarkable. Far too often we see complaints leveled at Doctors and the NHS, and yes there is lot of improvements that can still occur within the NHS and the infrastructure, however for me the Doctors/staff are excellent and it is a pleasure to record this as opposed to a complaint.

22nd September 2016
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

superb doctor. Knows what he is talking about. A really clever and professional doctor. I cannot praise him too highly or recommend him too much.

6th August 2016
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

I have been treated by Dr Knight in June and July 2016 and diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. He has carried out a very thorough medical examination to exclude any other possible causes of my symptoms. At all stages I have found him very helpful in answering any questions I have had. His knowledge of medicine gave me great confidence in his judgement from the beginning, which was particularly useful at the start when I was reluctant to accept that my symptoms could be chronic fatigue. He has also led me bit by bit onto the first steps of being cured (helping me to start graduated exercise therapy, taking an interest in my sleep patterns, etc), and finally recommending a suitable therapist to take this forward post-diagnosis. This has been the first 'serious' illness I have had, and I am very grateful to Dr Knight for his care.

Doctors working at West Herts Community Copd Service