mr-matthew-crocker

29th December 2021

Mr Crocker was recommended to me by a friend who is a Plastic Surgeon, and I also cannot recommend him highly enough - his care of me from the start has been exceptional in every way. I initially saw him privately in September for a second opinion after a diagnosis of facet joint degeneration and spinal stenosis requiring surgery, and I had immediate trust in him. Having confidence in the surgeon who was going to operate on my spine was essential to me - I didn't want any Tom, Dick or Harry having a practice on my back on their first day to see if they were any good at spinal surgery! He took a considerable amount of time discussing the options and risks with me to ensure I understood, and in addition his recommended surgery was discussed at the MDT meeting at St Georges which added a further layer of confidence for me. In the end my symptoms deteriorated quickly and I had a successful emergency lumbar decompression and fusion for cauda equine at St Georges performed by Mr Crocker and his fellow Hassan Raza late at night. Despite the operation not finishing until 2am, Mr Crocker was back at my bedside at 8am the next morning checking on me, and he and Hassan continued with daily (sometimes twice daily) visits throughout my stay in hospital. After discharge he has called me a number of times to check on my progress and I know that this is highly unusual for consultants, but one that was much appreciated - knowing that he was there if I needed advice made a huge difference. I am now 12 weeks (today) post surgery and all of my previous symptoms of nerve, buttock and hip pain have now gone and overall I feel great - it's hard to believe that I had put up with pain and restricted movement for such a long time - so much so that I had normalised it and had resigned myself (due to previous misdiagnosis) that this was normal ageing! With the exception of running and cycling, I am back to my normal life again and I will be eternally grateful to Mr Crocker for helping me to get my life back again.

20th November 2021

I just had a microdiscetomy done by Mr Crocker and he was superb. He phoned me up to discuss it which was amazing he also gave me his email so i could ask questions. He wheeled me up to the operating theatre himself so goes that extra mile to make you feel like you matter. I had had horrific leg pain for 16 months from a slipped disc and tried everything else, this really was a last resort for me. I woke up and the leg pain was gone. I feel like i have got my life back and can’t thank Mr Crocker and his team enough.

2nd November 2021

Mr Matthew Crocker operated on my back in March 2021. I could not walk going into the operation and the only way I could hold myself up was with crutches. I met him when I was in a wheelchair. He listened, explained exactly the nature of the issue and what I needed to do. The alternative was ending up permanently in a wheelchair. Two weeks later I had the operation (a laminectomy) to relieve the pressure where bones on my vertebrae were pressing on the spinal cord. I was the power in my legs and my balance was going. It is now 8 months since the operation and I met Mr Crocker for a consultation in the summer. I can now walk comfortably with one stick and at times without a stick. I hope to be walking without a stick over the next 6 months. Mr Crocker was fantastic. A true professional, exceptional surgeon and excellent manner which put me at ease throughout the whole process. Thank you for sorting me out so quickly and for getting me back on my feet again. I cannot thank you enough. I would absolutely recommend him. Kind regards John F.

17th October 2021

We have to begin by saying a Huge thankyou to Mr Matthew Crocker (and his team). Having undergone surgery on Monday the 27th of October 2021 for a Lumbar Microdiscectomy. From the first meeting we had with Mr Crocker I had Full confidence in him. Hard to say why but you felt you were his only patient and he spent the time going through options and once we had made our own decision then continued to supported us fully through the rest of time. The odd personal email and phone call from him during the waiting period before surgery means so much to an individual when laid up in bed in great pain without as such a fast clear thinking mind. God Bless you Mr Crocker and thanks for saving my back. Ps a note to St George's Hospital, Management Team. Mr Crocker is an great asset to you and the N.H.S. Look after him well please I wish you had more like him on the job.

Written by a private patient at Parkside Hospital
25th March 2021

Mr Crocker applied a Transforaminal Epidural Injection, under anaesthetic, to me in late October 2020. The result has been magical. I would thoroughly recommend Matthew Crocker from his consultations through to surgery. At each step of the way he was inclusive and explained the intricacies of the procedure which I would have absolutely no hesitation in having again, should the need arise. He was approachable and put one at ease at every stage. I shall always be grateful for his expertise and kindness. Linda Hudgins

Mr Crocker is a consultant neurosurgeon with a large NHS practice at St George's Hospital, London. He has a full general neurosurgery practice and subspecialist interests in spinal surgery and vascular neurosurgery. He is the chair of the regional spine MDT and holds clinical lead positions for metastatic spinal cord compression, undergraduate teaching and neurotrauma. He was the clinical lead for the regional neurosurgery unit 2013-2017. He trained in London in neurosurgery 2005-2012 and undertook a two year period of research into cerebral bloodflow and brain tumours 2008-2010 as the McKissock Lecturer at St George's University London. In 2011 he was awarded the Norman Dott Medal for the most outstanding performance in the FRCS (Neurosurgery) exams. He visited the Barrow Neurological Institute in 2012 as the Marjorie Newsome Travelling Fellow. He was appointed as a consultant to The Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's in 2012 and also has a modern private practice as part of a collaborative team through Wimbledon Clinics based at The Parkside Hospital and St Anthonys Hospital.

Nearest Neurosurgeons