mr-matthew-crocker

3rd November 2020

Mr. Matthew Crocker operated on me in December 2017. He was extremely competent, professional and had an excellent bedside manner. I was in my late sixties at the time of the operation. Spinal cord compression had paralysed my left side. I couldn't walk. I couldn't lift my left arm. The risk of not having the operation was that I could become fully paralysed. But if I had the operation I might have even died. At any rate, the operation was to prevent me getting totally paralysed. I agreed to the operation and I am so glad I did. The day after the operation I could lift my left arm and could walk with assistance. Today I can walk even without a walking stick. I even went on a five mile walk recently without a stick. I go to the gym and pilates classes regularly. I went to physiotherapy the year after the operation, but I don't need physiotherapy now. I met him in the clinic about a month ago and his after-care is also good. Thank you Mr. Crocker for helping me get better. I recommend Mr. Crocker absolutely. S. Lane

#sayThankYou

Mathew Crocker is not only an exceptionally professional, effective and caring neurosurgeon, but a down-to-earth, informal and unpretentious person who makes one feel entirely at ease and utterly reassured about his determination to give one the best treatment any surgeon can give. At the same time, he is careful to set out the risks, to stress the importance of having realistic expectations and to warn one about the challenges of recuperation (I am 73). After being pushed from pillar to post for three years, on the verge of giving up and accepting disability, I was recommended to approach Mr. Crocker. I thank whoever deity hovers above us for doing so. After the expected NHS rigmarole, I was finally admitted for surgery in Feb. 2020 under Mr. Crocker’s direction. The surgery lasted 11 hours, involving the insertion of 14 large titanium screws and God knows how many connecting rods. My wife told me that Mr. Crocker was utterly exhausted after the surgery, but he took time to explain to her in some detail that the surgery went well and that he expected no neurological complications. I write this summary exactly 3 months after my surgery, at the end of May 2020. While I still suffer from some discomfort in my lower back, my condition has improved greatly relative to that prior to my surgery. I walk for 2 km every day on a treadmill and outside for a further two km, supplemented by a range of strength exercises. My ambition is to return to cycling in 4-6 weeks, and I can see myself getting there. I cannot praise Mr. Crocker more highly for his skill and – dare I say – courage in taking on a case that was deemed too complicated by two leading orthopaedic surgeons practicing in premier London hospitals. Patient at St. George's Hospital

28th May 2020
30th April 2020

Matthew is by far a legend. He put me at ease before my surgical operation and attended to my needs afterwards. His aftercare is fantastic and I have full trust in his work. I can’t recommend Matthew Crocker enough. Thank you Matthew.

Written by a carer at St George's Hospital
14th March 2020

Complex urgent surgery required to a tumor threatening the spinal cord - and all over the Xmas Holiday. Matt Crocker led us through this crisis with immense skill and an infectious level of confidence. The recovery has surpassed expectations and our relief is profound. Thank you.

30th January 2020

I really could not recommend Matthew Crocker any more highly. He initially called me to inform me that I needed to see him to discuss my MRI results. When I came in he calmly and with great empathy explained what the issue was and what my options were. I felt fully informed at every step and it was comforting to be spoken to as a person rather than just another patient. Once the procedure was completed I wasn't just forgotten and Mr.Crocker and his team were very conscientious in observing my recovery. He even went as far as removing the stitches himself as he felt he had a moral obligation having completed the surgery. He is a good humoured (helps in serious situations), very professional and very good at his job. Having a serious procedure done can seem daunting but it really helps to have someone like Matthew Crocker to help you through it. I remember reading the excellent reviews here before my surgery and looking for some reassurance. Now that I am about 18-20 months on from my surgery I can safely say he was the right man for the job.

Mr Crocker is a consultant neurosurgeon with a large NHS practice at St George's Hospital, London. He has a full general neurosurgery practice and subspecialist interests in spinal surgery and vascular neurosurgery. He is the chair of the regional spine MDT and holds clinical lead positions for metastatic spinal cord compression, undergraduate teaching and neurotrauma. He was the clinical lead for the regional neurosurgery unit 2013-2017. He trained in London in neurosurgery 2005-2012 and undertook a two year period of research into cerebral bloodflow and brain tumours 2008-2010 as the McKissock Lecturer at St George's University London. In 2011 he was awarded the Norman Dott Medal for the most outstanding performance in the FRCS (Neurosurgery) exams. He visited the Barrow Neurological Institute in 2012 as the Marjorie Newsome Travelling Fellow. He was appointed as a consultant to The Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's in 2012 and also has a modern private practice as part of a collaborative team through Wimbledon Clinics based at The Parkside Hospital and St Anthonys Hospital.

Nearest Neurosurgeons