Mr Matthew Crocker

Mr Crocker is a consultant neurosurgeon with a large NHS practice at St George's Hospital, London. He has a full general neurosurgery practice and subspecialist interests in spinal surgery and vascular neurosurgery. He is the chair of the regional spine MDT and holds clinical lead positions for metastatic spinal cord compression, undergraduate teaching and neurotrauma. He is the clinical lead for the regional neurosurgery unit. He trained in London in neurosurgery 2005-2012 and undertook a two year period of research into cerebral bloodflow and brain tumours 2008-2010 as the McKissock Lecturer at St George's University London. In 2011 he was awarded the Norman Dott Medal for the most outstanding performance in the FRCS (Neurosurgery) exams. He visited the Barrow Neurological Institute in 2012 as the Marjorie Newsome Travelling Fellow. He was appointed as a consultant to The Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's in 2012 and also has a private practice based at The Parkside Hospital, Wimbledon.

• Neurosurgery

17th January 2019
Written by a patient at Spire St Anthony's Hospital

I met Matthew Crocker for my initial consultation in early December last year. I had been suffering from acute pain caused by a herniated disc for around 3 months despite physiotherapy and a nerve route block. We discussed the options available and I opted to have a microdiscectomy the following week. From our first meeting I had total confidence in him. Matthew was at length to explain everything and although my operation was relatively straight forward he went through the risk factors (however minor) in detail. Whilst we both agreed it was the best option he made sure my mind was completely made up. He also made it clear that I could contact him at any time in the days leading up to my treatment regardless of how minor my question might be. On the day of my operation (12/12/18) we went through the details and met with the anaesthetist and I felt completely relaxed. The operation was successful and Matthew called me later in the evening to assess my progress. He also came to the hospital the following morning to check on my progress. I have been pain free for the past month. Matthew Crocker has the ability to combine his vast clinical knowledge and experience with charm and good humour which are also important in such stressful situations. I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone who has similar surgical requirements.

4th January 2019
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

On Saturday 3/11 I had a mountain bike accident and broke my neck, cracked 3 vertebrae, my sternum and a few ribs. Clearly not a great ride. Dr Crocker met me on Sunday morning to explain the options and he did so in a very easy way to understand. Obviously I was in pain and worried but he reassured me and came across as someone I could trust. Post the operation that Sunday Dr Crocker came to visit and gave me advice on managing the pain and to be confident that the repairs are solid and that I can start being mobile. His motivation techniques are direct (no sugar coating) and I appreciated his approach so within 8 days I was discharged. It is now 8 weeks since the operation and I met Dr Crocker yesterday (04/01) and the feedback was good and he went through every question I had and explained the injury, what he had done to complete the repair and also the next steps. At no stage did I feel rushed and his easy to understand language and use of images made it easy for me to understand. Next step will be in October with a CT scan and removal of my metal work from the back. What I like: 1. Straight talking and easy to understand 2. Good listening skills and gave me his time (when I had an appointment) 3. After care support via email was there and I can appreciate how busy he is but he made a point of being there for me. 4. The nurses definitely like him as he can be witty which is a nice ice breaker. Would I recommend Dr Crocker: 1. Yes and my GP spoke highly of him when she met me in her clinic. 2. Gave me choices of treatment 3. Gave honest feedback Regards, Steve

20th December 2018
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

i only met Mr Crocker twice but he was delighted with the outcome of my surgery, as was I. All my symptoms have been resolved.

12th December 2018
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

I was diagnosed with a tumour in my lower back and was referred to St Georges, Tooting. The appointment was months away and I took the steps of travelling to St Georges to arrange an early appointment, which happened within days ( cancellation) Now I'm in the system, I was seen by Matthew Crocker and he quickly diagnosed and treated me within 3 weeks of seeing him. He has a no nonsense approach and very knowledgeable. He has the ability to engage and talk about surgery that the patient understands. Some surgeons never demonstrate empathy, again I didn't find this with Matthew. His sense of wanting to do the right thing immediately put me at ease. The surgery went extremely well and I'm forever thankful to Matthew and his team for fixing me. If there is one negative, which I'm not going to mark Matthew down for and that is the time it took to receive the final ok, despite many chases from myself and Matthew. I wish him and his future patients every success

7th December 2018
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

Mr Crocker performed a discectomy for me at St George's Hospital, throughout the process he explained fully each stage and what I might expect from surgery (also the possible pitfalls) and the potential time scale of recuperation. I am now towards the end of the period of recovery and have made considerable progress, hoping eventually to regain fully the mobility and fitness within the constraints of this type of surgery. I would also like to praise the staff I encountered at St George's during my brief visit, though only there for 3 days the full process of my operation will have demanded the involvement of a considerable number of staff, well done!

Nearest Neurosurgeons