Mr Matthew Crocker

Mr Crocker is a consultant neurosurgeon with a large NHS practice at St George's Hospital, London. He has a full general neurosurgery practice and subspecialist interests in spinal surgery and vascular neurosurgery. He is the chair of the regional spine MDT and holds clinical lead positions for metastatic spinal cord compression, undergraduate teaching and neurotrauma. He was the clinical lead for the regional neurosurgery unit 2013-2017. He trained in London in neurosurgery 2005-2012 and undertook a two year period of research into cerebral bloodflow and brain tumours 2008-2010 as the McKissock Lecturer at St George's University London. In 2011 he was awarded the Norman Dott Medal for the most outstanding performance in the FRCS (Neurosurgery) exams. He visited the Barrow Neurological Institute in 2012 as the Marjorie Newsome Travelling Fellow. He was appointed as a consultant to The Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's in 2012 and also has a modern private practice as part of a collaborative team through Wimbledon Clinics based at The Parkside Hospital and St Anthonys Hospital.

• Neurosurgery

16th June 2019
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

Having had personal and professional experience of hospitals it is rare to find a surgeon who is both impressive in their field of work and who has a good bed side manor i.e. he actually cares about the patient – however I can unequivocally say that Mr Matthew Crocker is the exception to the rule- not only is he an extremely talented neurosurgeon, but he also conveys a real sense of caring about his patients and also someone who looks at the bigger picture and not just the area he is operating on. He is both extremely professional and knowledgeable and I would recommend him highly to anyone who needs any form of spinal surgery. There aren’t too many people that would say they were lucky to have had 2 spinal operations’ but I do count myself fortunate that they were both performed by Mr Crocker. Once back in 2013 where he was the only neurosurgeon qualified enough to remove a large tumour in my spine on T3, which was pushing on my spinal chord! He not only successfully managed to remove it and put in a metal cage and rods to keep me standing, but he also managed to get rid of most of the tumour so that it has never been able to grow back in that area since. Effectively he saved my life and kept me mobile, for which I am eternally grateful. More recently he performed a lumber microdisectomy, which I am sure will also prove to be a great success. My immense thanks and blessings to him and his family.

14th February 2019
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

Had first class care from Dr Crocker and his team throughout. From the time I entered hospital - everyone extremely kind and helpful and procedure - which I had been dreading as an 84 years young lady) was carried out with dignity - even to point where Dr Crocker called in ward to see me later and this was much appreciated ! 100% for absolutely everything and a big THANKYOU !!!

29th January 2019
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

I don’t know how I could possibly say just one thing. Mr Crocker, was so helpful and listened to all that I was going through and how I was coping. he did all that he could to ensure that he could do all that he could to make me better. I am now back on my feet and looking to find work again. To me he is my the best.

17th January 2019
Written by a patient at Spire St Anthony's Hospital

I met Matthew Crocker for my initial consultation in early December last year. I had been suffering from acute pain caused by a herniated disc for around 3 months despite physiotherapy and a nerve route block. We discussed the options available and I opted to have a microdiscectomy the following week. From our first meeting I had total confidence in him. Matthew was at length to explain everything and although my operation was relatively straight forward he went through the risk factors (however minor) in detail. Whilst we both agreed it was the best option he made sure my mind was completely made up. He also made it clear that I could contact him at any time in the days leading up to my treatment regardless of how minor my question might be. On the day of my operation (12/12/18) we went through the details and met with the anaesthetist and I felt completely relaxed. The operation was successful and Matthew called me later in the evening to assess my progress. He also came to the hospital the following morning to check on my progress. I have been pain free for the past month. Matthew Crocker has the ability to combine his vast clinical knowledge and experience with charm and good humour which are also important in such stressful situations. I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone who has similar surgical requirements.

4th January 2019
Written by a patient at St George's Hospital

On Saturday 3/11 I had a mountain bike accident and broke my neck, cracked 3 vertebrae, my sternum and a few ribs. Clearly not a great ride. Dr Crocker met me on Sunday morning to explain the options and he did so in a very easy way to understand. Obviously I was in pain and worried but he reassured me and came across as someone I could trust. Post the operation that Sunday Dr Crocker came to visit and gave me advice on managing the pain and to be confident that the repairs are solid and that I can start being mobile. His motivation techniques are direct (no sugar coating) and I appreciated his approach so within 8 days I was discharged. It is now 8 weeks since the operation and I met Dr Crocker yesterday (04/01) and the feedback was good and he went through every question I had and explained the injury, what he had done to complete the repair and also the next steps. At no stage did I feel rushed and his easy to understand language and use of images made it easy for me to understand. Next step will be in October with a CT scan and removal of my metal work from the back. What I like: 1. Straight talking and easy to understand 2. Good listening skills and gave me his time (when I had an appointment) 3. After care support via email was there and I can appreciate how busy he is but he made a point of being there for me. 4. The nurses definitely like him as he can be witty which is a nice ice breaker. Would I recommend Dr Crocker: 1. Yes and my GP spoke highly of him when she met me in her clinic. 2. Gave me choices of treatment 3. Gave honest feedback Regards, Steve

Nearest Neurosurgeons