Mr Mark Wevill

A Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Mark Wevill has been restoring vision with cataract, lens exchange and laser eye surgery for over 20 years. He has postgraduate qualifications from the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and has been invited to speak at over 20 surgeon conferences.

• Ophthalmology

1st October 2018
Written by a patient at Optegra

My wife & I both attended an open evening at Optegra in Birmingham, hosted by Mr Mark Wevill. We were very impressed by his friendly, professional approach with absolutely no pressure. After extensive eye scans we were deemed suitable for refractive lens exchange which we had performed a few weeks later. The procedure lasted a mere 15 minutes and all the way through we were reassured by Mr Wevill & his team Everyone was extremely kind and really couldn't do enough for us. We religiously followed our regime of eye drops & 6 weeks later, after a couple of follow-up appointments we are free of specs with pretty perfect vision. Mark Wevill is clearly a brilliant eye surgeon who is obviously well respected by his team. He treats each patient with great personal care, he explained everything in great detail and answered questions thoroughly, and we trusted him completely. All in all we are extremely pleased we made the decision to go ahead. Thank you Mark & team! Geoff & Annette Turvey

9th October 2018
Response from Mr Mark Wevill

Hi Geoff & Annette, thank you for your great review and I'm pleased you're seeing so well.

20th September 2018
Written by a patient at Optegra

I have been partially sighted since birth having what is called a 'lazy' left eye resulting in monocular vision. I was referred to Mark in mid 2017, having being diagnosed with developing cataracts in both eyes by Graham Parks, Ophthalmologist at Specsavers Aberystwyth. The thought of the gradual deteriorating vision in my right good eye caused me worry and concern and I knew this had to be addressed. Also the possibility of surgery going wrong was in the back of my mind as well. I need the best possible treatment and Graham was right, I could not be in better hands. Mark explained everything and put me at ease at our first meeting and then introduced me to the very pleasant and professional Optegra staff that carried out numerous tests on both eyes using Optegra’s ‘state of the art’ diagnostic equipment. This was followed by a further ‘same day’ consultation with Mark who decided to perform the initial cataract surgery on my left eye. Surgery was carried out a few weeks later. The procedure was quick and painless, carried out in a very professional manner by Mark and his team in very modern, pleasant and relaxing surroundings. Before I knew it I was back on the train to Aberystwyth. Mark rang to check up on me whilst I was on the train and gave me his personal mobile number telling me I was to contact him immediately should I have any cause for concern. It was during the postoperative check-up on my left eye that Mark advised the OCT scans on my right, ‘good’ eye indicated that I had Vitreomacular Tension Syndrome, VMT, in that eye. It was possible that carrying out cataract surgery at that time could cause further trauma. VMT is a serious condition that can cause permanent damage to the macular including loss of central vision. Mark consulted with colleagues and advised that we should wait at least six months and monitor the problem on a regular basis. It is known that in around 25 per cent of cases the condition ‘right’s itself’ and surgery would not be necessary. In my case the waiting game paid off. The vitreous detached itself from the macula in a burst of floaters on Easter Friday this year. Mark confirmed this a couple of days later and carried out cataract procedure on my right eye on 8th May this year. Postoperative check-ups confirmed that YAG Laser Capsulotomy would be necessary to improve my vision even further and Mark carried this out early this week with very positive results. My complete procedure took approximately 18months, mainly due to a very worrying and stressful waiting time following the diagnosis of VMT Syndrome in my right eye. During the whole process I felt that support was always available. I could telephone Mark personally should it have been necessary and the Optegra team were always so helpful with their support. I have received the best possible treatment and support from Mark, and I have been fitted with the best ‘state of the art’ IOL’s as recommended by him. I am in my 70’s and can now look forward to the future with 20+ improved vision in my right eye. Knowing that I will not have to face cataract surgery in my advancing years means a lot. Should anything go wrong in the future, Mark and his team at Optegra are only a phone call away. Thank you Mark and your team at Optegra for all you have done.

30th September 2018
Response from Mr Mark Wevill

Thank you for your patience while we waited for the right time to do your surgery and your vision is now 20/20.

13th September 2018
Written by a patient at Optegra

I had done lots of research into this procedure and the different providers. I had worn glasses for 30 years with a very high short sighted prescription and astigmatism, so I felt I needed to make sure I had chosen a very experienced surgeon. I cannot fault the level of expertise and care I was shown. I was very nervous on the day but as soon as I saw Mark he was so relaxed and I had a lot of faith in his ability that it put me at ease. The operation was quick, painless, its more the thought of what is happening that bothered me but I just focused on my breathing and before I knew it I was standing up and could see the clock on the wall and read it straightaway! I would never have been able to even see there was a clock before! The aftercare is very good, regular checkups to make sure everything is on track and emergency contact details if there is a problem. After a few weeks of drops my eyes were less dry and my eyesight slowly got sharper. I now able to read perfectly and see distances too, its now nearly 4 months on and I haven't looked back. It was an amazing result and I am now glasses free. Thank you to Mr Wevill and his excellent support team for making it such a smooth journey.

17th September 2018
Response from Mr Mark Wevill

Fantastic! I'm pleased it was painless and it's perfect. Thank you for your great review.

31st August 2018
Written by a patient at Optegra

I had cataract surgery performed earlier this year by Mr Wevill at Optega and everyone was very kind and professional. Further to this, I later had YAG laser correction as there was a touch of cloudiness in one eye. The procedures were very quick and painless, and I'm very pleased with the results. They have given me back my eyesight, which I never thought would have been possible. I'm very grateful for the wonderful work carried out by Mark and his team.

8th September 2018
Response from Mr Mark Wevill

Thank you!

29th August 2018
Written by a patient at Optegra

Brilliant Surgeon. Excellent team. 20:20 vision now. I had Lens replacement surgery done in both eyes in June 2018. I went for this treatment as I had cataract developing in both eyes. A friend recommended Optegra Birmingham and I booked to attend an open evening hosted by Mr Mark Wevill. A week later I booked to have a thorough examination for my eyes and met Mr Wevill at the end of the process to discuss the options. There was no pressure applied and the whole team were very friendly and professional. All the questions I had were answered before deciding to have the lens replacement surgery. I was nervous a few days leading to the first eye operation. But on the day from arriving, all the staff made me feel comfortable and the eye surgery took around 20 minutes from walking into theater and out. Half hour later I was on my way home. In the evening I had a call from Mark to ask if I was OK. A week later I had the second eye done. This time I walked in with a lot of confidence as I was aware of the process. Initially I found I could see better with the operation in my second eye but each week passing the vision in the first eye was improving. Now 2 months after the operation, both eyes can clearly see near reading vision and far distances. Simply Brilliant and no glasses! I have had two follow up checks after surgery and have got 20:20 vision back. Mark Wevill is a brilliant surgeon who has performed several thousand successful lens replacement operations. I highly recommend Optegra Birmingham.

31st August 2018
Response from Mr Mark Wevill

Thank you for your positive feedback & I'll pass on your compliments to the rest of the team

Nearest Ophthalmologists