Mr Mario Teo

• Neurosurgery

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

15th September 2019
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

Firstly I want to fully recommend Mr Teo and his team for fantastic care and support during initial diagnosis and my subsequent treatment. I fully trust him and thank him for taking me on as a patient and successfully removing my spinal cavernoma. I was diagnosed in March 2017 with a spinal cavernoma. This resulted in nerve damage and partial paralysis. We met Mr Teo who explained what had happened (as we had never heard of this) and what we could expect going forward. We adopted a watch and wait approach initially however it re-bled in May 2019 causing more nerve damage, after MRIs and discussion with Mr Teo it was decided to operate to try and remove the cavernoma. Mr Teo explained the risks involved and the hoped for recovery. I trust Mr Teo implicitly and believe that he will always do his best for his patients. This was a very complicated and risky operation through which we have thankfully had a positive outcome due to Mr Teo’s skill. I felt very safe in Mr Teo’s care and in all follow up meetings he has taken time to explain and always listens to my concerns, he has given me my future back for which I will be forever grateful.

14th July 2019
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

The surgery I had was excellent, especially the incision and its recovery and I was always pleased that Mr Teo had plenty of time to listen and talk through procedures.

13th July 2019
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

I was diagnosed about a year ago with a Cavernous Sinus meningioma and in April this year Mr Teo completed a 10 hour operation to remove the part of the tumour which was having most impact on my vision. It was made clear to me before the operation that it would be very unlikely that the whole tumour could be removed because of the location and the dangers involved. Right from my first consult with Mr Teo I was made aware of the difficulties posed by the location of the tumour and the risks in treating it. What was most important to me throughout the past year is that things have been explained to me in a way I can understand. Because of this I was able to make informed choices (obviously with advice from Mr Teo) about my own care. Feeling I had autonomy in my own care was really important to me. I walked into the operating room fully aware of facts and yet with very few nerves and a quiet confidence. That I was involved in the decision making process was a huge contributory factor to this assurance I think. My post op catch up with Mr Teo was this week to talk about how I'm feeling after the operation and what future treatment might be. The truth is I'm feeling great and if any future treatment is needed I am totally confident to talk this through and take the advice of Mr Teo and that the outcomes will be the best possible.

26th June 2019
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

I am a Dental Surgeon and at the age of 46 had a brain haemorrage which caused a stroke. I was subsequently diagnosed with an AVM in my brain, near my motor cortex having temporarily lost the grip and dexterity in my hand. I had to make a huge decision to put my trust in Mr Teo because of the risks involved with neurosurgery to remove the AVM and the impact it could have on my career, even my life. I went ahead with a craniotomy and the AVM was successfully removed. I am now phasing myself back into work. This man is an exceptional surgeon, his is work meticulous and he provides outstanding care pre and post operatively. I will forever be grateful for what this surgeon has done for me.

26th June 2019
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

Following a brain haemorrhage in January 2019, a scan confirmed the diagnosis of a large sub-arachnoid aneurysm, which could not be clipped or coiled in the usual manner and would require a bypass using veins from either the side of the face or arms. After several weeks recovering in hospital I was transferred in February to Bristol Southmead Hospital and Mr Teo’s care. I was impressed with Mr Teo from our first meeting. Mr Teo's expertise and experience in performing this operation before, gave us confidence in his ability to perform this difficult procedure. He was not arrogant in his conviction that he could achieve what he and his team set out to do because he had checked and rechecked all the scans and tests available to him. He talked through the risks of the surgery and the scary stuff with my family and I, showing kindness and regard for our concerns. He explained matters simply, demonstrating respect and consideration for a patient’s fears and feelings, advising me that I was a suitable patient for pioneering surgery. He said my surgery would take up to 12 hours! We couldn’t imagine how a surgeon could operate for such a long shift. It was a no-brainer of a decision for me, pardon the pun. I felt Mr Teo spent a lot of time getting to know me in the week it took to schedule my surgery with his preferred team in place. Mr Teo came to see me on the evening before my surgery, long after visiting hours. He calmly reassured me that all preparations were in place in readiness and wished me a good night’s sleep. It worked. I did sleep, in confident anticipation of the skills and judgement to be deployed by this renowned surgeon. The following day, thanks to Mr Teo’s outstanding neurosurgical skills, I underwent successful surgery. It took longer than anticipated but the family were reassured and kept informed. When I came round, there was Mr Teo. I was surprised and pleased that the post-op pain and disorientation were much less than I’d expected. After 7 days, my stitches were removed and I was discharged from hospital. The latest scan confirms I have healed well and the aneurysm has gone. Mr Teo has reassured me that although recovery takes time (up to 2 years), symptoms will gradually reduce and I can eventually expect to be back to normal. I have been very fortunate in having such an amazing surgeon in Mr Teo. His total commitment and competence, his humanity and care have been outstanding. I can’t thank him enough for all he has done and you can’t even see the scar. I, and my family, will always be profoundly grateful to him, his dedicated team and Southmead Hospital.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »