Mr Lee Longstaff

Mr Longstaff attended medical school at Cambridge University and graduated with First Class honours and a distinction in surgery. Post-graduate orthopaedic training was commenced at Addenbrooke's hospital, Cambridge and completed in Newcastle Upon Tyne. An additional 18 months of advanced surgical training was then undertaken in Melbourne and Perth, Australia where he developed a special interest and expertise in hip and knee replacement. Mr Longstaff was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the County Durham & Darlington NHS Foundation trust in 2005. In addition to lower limb arthroplasty, he also delivers general trauma care to children and adults with a particular interest in periprosthetic fracture management. His research activities lie in the fields of trauma, hip and knee replacement and kinematics. He is an associate clinical lecturer in the Institute of Cellular Medicine at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. A keen educator, he has been appointed royal college surgical tutor and Intercollegiate MRCS examiner.

9th January 2018
Written by a patient at University Hospital of North Durham

I required a total knee replacement (tkr) of my right knee. Unfortunately, I broke my right femur just above the knee, which required following the insertion of a plate to repair the fracture. Regrettably, the position of the plate precluded the tkr operation being performed at Sunderland Royal Hospital due to the complexity of the procedure then needed. I was transferred to Mr Longstaff’s care at the University Hospital of North Durham, as Mr Longstaff was able to employ a technique involving the use of computerisation, which was not available at Sunderland Royal Hospital. As has been written by other reviewers Mr Longstaff is an excellent surgeon who explained the procedure thoroughly, assuring me of the high probability of success and answered all of my concerns in a most sympathetic and professional way. When it was found I had a low platelet count just prior to an initial operation, which had to be cancelled as a result, Mr Longstaff immediately approached UHND’s Consultant Haematologist to find out what was required to overcome the problem. He then ensured that I was back on his list at the very earliest opportunity. Despite the complexity of my operation, it was carried out smoothly and efficiently and without any problems and I was back on the ward within 2hrs. It was performed in the middle of November and I have suffered no pain since and eight weeks on I now can walk far better than I have been able to do for many years. I’m amazed at the transformation in such a short time, which I can only put down to the care and expertise of Mr Longstaff, the physiotherapists that attended me and staff on Ward 15. I really cannot think of anything that could be improved by Mr Longstaff and his team to provide greater care.

3rd January 2018

I underwent a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago at the Nuffield Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne. In the months before hand Mr Longstaff suggested alternatives including steroid injection which, in my case, was a partial success. The actual operation he performed was a painless process. He has been thoroughly professional and approachable throughout the subsequent follow up appointments. In my opinion I could not have been in better care.

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Washington Hospital

When I needed a full hip replacement my insurance company agreed I could choose a consultant at the Spire Washington hospital. After checking the reviews I decided on Mr Longstaff and thankfully he agreed to see me. At my first consultation he was businesslike but very reassuring. He gave me time to ask questions, discussed all the options and gave me realistic expectations. Having never been in hospital before I was very apprehensive but I couldn't believe how well the operation went, an epidural with full sedation. I was back in my room after two hours and up on my feet the next day. Mr Longstaff was very attentive both pre and post op which went a long way in assisting my recovery. Now 8 weeks after my operation I am vertualy pain free, have lost my limp, and the whole experience has given me a new zest for life. I wholeheartedly recommend Mr Longstaff and can't sing his praises highly enough. First class care at all stages, his patients are in expert hands.

17th September 2017
Written by a patient at University Hospital of North Durham

Excellent doctor who totally understood my condition.He was extremely helpful sympathetic and professional when undertaking my trhp.Since having surgery performed by Mr longstaff I have never been better for years.I have my life back can't thank him enough.

28th June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Washington Hospital

Mr Longstaff carried out an athroscopy on my knee. Fantastic care from first referral to discharge. Clear diagnosis and description of treatment, and the confidence of Mr Longstaff in the procedure and the prognosis helped to calm any nerves. Was walking within 3 hours of procedure, no pain, and back to normal day to day activities within week. Now 4 weeks since procedure, been on holiday and walked 8 miles round Pompeii in heat with no ill effects whatsoever. No scarring, no pain, feels like a new knee. Absolutely delighted with outcome. Would thoroughly recommend Mr Longstaff and would have total confidence in him if I require any further procedures.

Short link to review Mr Lee Longstaff: http://iwgc.net/eclsn