Mr Lee Longstaff

Mr Longstaff attended medical school at Cambridge University and graduated with First Class honours and a distinction in surgery. Post-graduate orthopaedic training was commenced at Addenbrooke's hospital, Cambridge and completed in Newcastle Upon Tyne. An additional 18 months of advanced surgical training was then undertaken in Melbourne and Perth, Australia where he developed a special interest and expertise in hip and knee replacement. Mr Longstaff was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the County Durham & Darlington NHS Foundation trust in 2005. In addition to lower limb arthroplasty, he also delivers general trauma care to children and adults with a particular interest in periprosthetic fracture management. His research activities lie in the fields of trauma, hip and knee replacement and kinematics. He is an associate Clinical Lecturer in the Institute of Cellular Medicine at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. A keen educator, he has been appointed Royal College surgical tutor and Intercollegiate MRCS examiner.

13th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Washington Hospital

I have just returned home after my second hip replacement in just over six months. Both surgeries were carried out by Mr Longstaff. From our very first meeting I was treated professionally and kindly. I was anxious at first but all my concerns were addressed and I was fully reassured throughout. I was very impressed with my care and recovered well from my operation in July. My recent surgery went smoothly and I was home after two days. I would not hesitate to recommend Mr Longstaff to anyone seeking an experienced and dedicated surgeon.

6th February 2019

A brilliant doctor clearly at the top of his game. I was seen by Mr. Longstaff multiple times and every meeting was on time, polite, concise and clearly explained to put my mind at ease. Highly recommended.

5th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Washington Hospital

I was in constant knee pain when I had my first consultation with Mr Longstaff. He immediately put me at ease and listened carefully to my concerns. He went to great lengths to explain the problems with my knee, interpreting the x rays, and what my operation would entail and possible outcomes. He did an arthroscopy and told me in detail, supported by photographs, what he had found and repairs he had made. He informed me what may be done in the future and I left feeling very hopeful that I may be pain free and that a full knee replacement may be deferred at least in the short term. Mr Longstaff is very personable and easy to talk to. I felt I could trust him and I know that he did his very best for me.

29th November 2018

Very professional approach to all aspects of care. All my appointments were on time and handled efficiently. Detailed explanations given with time to ask questions all of which received a full response. I felt i could ask him anything and would receive an honest explanation, which inspired confidence . One item i would like to suggest could be improved is to wait until client interview is complete before recording memo detail for follow up letter. Whilst recognising that this may be viewed as an efficient element of time mamagement it could give the impression to some clients ( not me) that listening is less than 100%. Would most certainly recommend Mr Longstaff to anyone. I am very pleased to have received his treatment.

22nd November 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Washington Hospital

My extreme thanks to the man who gave me a new lease of life. I felt totally confident going through this operation and trusted him as a thorough professional and was well justified in this. Before the operation I thought I was headed for a wheelchair; now i'm free and independent thanks to his skill. I am quite satisfied with all my hospital care and outpatients care also.

Short link to review Mr Lee Longstaff: http://iwgc.net/eclsn