Mr Kerryn Lutchman Singh

11th October 2020

I recently went for an operation and found this amazing professor who helped and guided me throughout my operation. He is a warm professional friendly man who put me at ease at my stay in hospital. He is a real credit to the NHS and would highly recommend anyone who needs this kind of surgery to seek this professionals help. Big thank you to you for making me feel alive again

Written by a carer at Singleton Hospital
10th December 2018

We asked for a copy of all my mum's notes which is why I am able to write this. My mum was under the "care" of this Consultant at Singleton Hospital, she thought because of fibroids. She had been referred from Neath Port Talbot hospital. Numerous scan and blood tests from July 2017 through to October 2017 indicated to him that there was a very high risk of cancer. He led numerous team meetings discussing my mum's case after which letters were written between consultants & GPs (but which were never sent to my mum) which confirmed that it was cancer, but which stated in black and white that the patient was NOT aware of the diagnosis. At the time my mum thought she simply had fibroids and so in October 2017 she requested a hysterectomy - there was a huge waiting list and she asked if he could do so privately. He AGREED, and STILL did not tell her that it was cancer! She attended Sancta Maria Hosptial, paid, went through an operation, at which point he told my dad and I that he hadn't been able to perform the hysterectomy because it was a large cancer and it was touching the colon. It was / is infact STAGE 3c Ovarian Cancer. She had to wait a further 6 weeks before she attended Morriston hospital for surgical removal of the cancer. It is clear from the paperwork that we have seen that he KNEW it was cancer from July 2017, yet he still agreed to perform an operation in Sancta Maria. Why didn't he remove the cancer there? Because they do not have the facilities to deal with such a complicated procedure. Patients have a right to know what is wrong with them. Patients have a right to trust that the NHS - a service that they have paid for all their lives through taxes and National Insurance- is a service for them, and does not exist to serve the needs of the Consultants employed by them. Patients have the right to expect swift treatment to try to catch diseases in their infancy, and not to expect delay after delay, and lies and untruths which allow the diseases to progress unchecked. The cancer has now returned. Please be careful.

3rd October 2018

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year and was scared and terrified by this news and thought there was no hope until I was referred to Mr Lutchman Singh, he lifted my spirits by telling jokes and reassuring me that he would do all he could to get me well again. There must have been times when he must have got fed up with my constant tears but he kept on with the reassurances. When my first operation was cancelled he did all he could to get me another date as soon as possible. I know I have a lot to thank him and his team, he is my hero.

Written by a carer at Singleton Hospital
22nd September 2018

My mother was diagnosed with vulvar cancer. She was in her Eighties and otherwise healthy. In August she was seen by this consultant who informed us that she had cancer and there was nothing to be done except palliative radiotherapy. His manner was brusque and business like, absolutely no compassion. He made this diagnosis A MONTH BEFORE SHE EVEN HAD A BIOPSY. So why make her endure a painful operation for nothing, when he had already concluded there was no hope? He completely dismissed the idea of surgery or chemotherapy. She had to spend the last few months of her life in agony from an open, bleeding tumour. She never lived long enough for radiotherapy as she gave up and wanted to die. It was shocking that she waited 3 months to see this person. In that time the tumour progressed from a small lump to a hideous mass. Forget the NHS if you're old and don't expect any compassion from consultants who treat you as unimportant.

8th March 2018

Mr Lutchman Singh was professional and compassionate at all times. During consultations I never felt rushed, and he made me feel very calm and relaxed during a very upsetting/stressful time. Mr Lutchman Singh explained everything clearly, answered all my questions and made me feel as relaxed and positive as possible. It felt like I could have had as much of his time as needed, which isn't always the case with different Doctors. On the day of surgery, Mr Lutchman Singh walked me from the ward to theatre which was a very kind, compassionate thing to do, as it is a very scary time for a patient. After surgery, Mr Lutchman Singh visited me twice on the Ward before going home, and was always compassionate and caring, and very professional. Over a year from my operation, and my scars have faded to nothing, which tells me he is a very skilled surgeon. Should I ever require surgery again, I would feel completely at ease should Mr Lutchman Singh be operating, and I have no hesitation to recommend him.

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology