Mr Kenneth Lavery

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

12th February 2013
Written by a carer at The Mcindoe Centre

Instantly at ease with Mr Lavery despite my being a few minutes late due to the care home's last ditch attempt to stop me taking my mum to the hospital. My mum had already been seen at Eastbourne General by two consultants with regard to her 'neglected dentician'. These two consultants were going to have to give her a GA just to undertake an examination - she has alzheimers and clearly didn't like these consultants as she kept her mouth as closed as possible (would have been useful if the care home had deigned to tell me about the appointments!). Mr Lavery was aware of the history and also that mum's surgery had been cancelled at one hours notice on two previous occasions. He was also aware that a 'complete clearance' of mum's remaining teeth had been proffered as a solution (the usual 'she has alzheimers so knows nothing' approach that I often come across). Mr Lavery was lovely, chatted to my mum like a normal person - even though she has minimal understanding and cognition. After a few minutes mum was laughing away and opened her mouth - he was able to fully look at her teeth, percuss them all (tap them) to see if there was any indication of pain (which I am relieved to say there wasn't, despite the care home insisting that she is in agony with her teeth and have had morphine prescriptions for this for at least 12 months now) and done a full 'infection' check up as well (excepting the X Ray - that might have just pushed it a bit too far). His diagnosis and solution took into account what needed doing now and also factored in her quality of life in regard to her alzheimers - something that the previous two consultations hadn't. I saw Mr Lavery for the consultation as a private appointment at the McIndoe Centre at East Grinstead - though he does still practise as an NHS consultant at the highly rated Queen victoria Hospital which is next door. He is a lovely man, thorough, calming and able to deal with my mum and her alzheimers - would I recommend him? A million times after this visit and my mum should be having surgery with him very soon.

Nearest Oral and maxillofacial surgeons