Mr Kanna Gnanalingham

After studying Medicine in Manchester, Mr Gnanalingham completed his Neurosurgical training in London. This included specialist training in Complex spinal surgery, Pituitary and Skull base surgery, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He learned minimally invasive techniques at several centres in the UK and US and was appointed as a Consultant at the Greater Manchester Neuroscience Centre at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (SRFT) in 2005. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Manchester. His sub-speciality interests include pituitary, anterior skull base and complex spine surgery, utilising minimally invasive techniques. He is the lead consultant for Pituitary surgery in Manchester and introduced the endoscopic approach to the region. With respect to the spine, Mr Gnanalingham has particular interests in degenerative spinal disease, spinal trauma, tumours, spinal arthroplasty and other motion preserving technologies. He has a preference for minimally invasive spinal approaches that minimise post-operative pain and speed up post-operative recovery. In recognition of his expertise, Mr Gnanalingham is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings and conduct workshops for spinal and pituitary disorders. He offers an international fellowship in minimally invasive surgery. He has a strong interest in clinical and basic science research in Neuroscience, qualified to a doctorate level, with over 90 publications and international presentations.

• Neurosurgery

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

Was very helpful and infirmative. Attentive throughout and very pleasant. My wife is for ever grateful to him.

20th November 2017
Written by a carer at Salford Royal Hospital

Mr Gnanalingham has been my mums consultant for the last 7 years.From her initial consultation, which I attended as well,her surgery and subsequent follow up management, Mr Gnanalinghams care has been absolutely outstanding.His caring and compassionate manner and the way he communicates with his patients should be used as a training video for any member of the NHS/private sector, and how to aspire to be like him.

30th October 2017
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

Having suffered survere headaches I was referred to Salford Royal to find I had a Brain Tumer ‘Acromegaly Macroadenoma’ 1.2mm in The Pituitary Gland. With Suffering most of the side effects for many months. Then going through all the scans & tests meeting various Doctors envolved in the process, hardly waiting anytime to be seen on appointment times. I have now had the Key Hole operation 28/10/17. The whole episode what I thought would be so scary WAS NOT from start to finish with Mr Gnanalingham & the whole team, aftercare, nurses, & all the background staff. I cannot thank you enough. It has not felt like l was in Hospital but instead with a lot of friendly caring people, with one objective . To make you feel Better. I certainly do & now going home ‘Tumour Free’ to a very happy family. Thank-You Mr Gnanalingham & ALL your Team

21st October 2017
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

I first met Mr Gnanalingham at the start of August 2017 at The Alexandra Hospital. He sat me down and listened to everything I had to say I was suffering from terrible back pain, he was very patient and he told me about all the options available to me. Within 3 weeks I was in hospital having my operation and I cannot thank him enough. He talked me through every step on the morning of my operation as I was feeling nervous but he put me a ease. Once I was awake he came to see me and was really please with how it all went and that if I needed to ask him anything I could contact him or his staff which felt great. Then he handed me over to the nurses and I have to say the aftercare is fantastic they can’t do enough to help you. Really would recommend this doctor Mr Gnanalingham to anybody that needs a back operation he’s the best.

19th October 2017
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I was sent to Mr Gnanalingham after an eye test turned up a benign tumour. I was a bit of a state on our first meeting and he was very calming and excellent at talking me through the scans and what would happen next. He was so neat with the cut he made during surgery that I can no longer see it, a couple of months on. After the op he came in to see me and explain what had happened and 3 weeks later again everything was clear, calm and friendly. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon, and am so glad to continue with him.

Nearest Neurosurgeons