mr-kanna-gnanalingham

Mr Kanna Gnanalingham

2nd April 2020

As a 65 year old and very apprehensive, at my first consultation, Mr Gnanalingham immediately impressed me with a mixture of professionalism and a very warm personality. Throughout the subsequent procedure and the post discharge care, his team exhibited the same positive traits and courtesy. That personal input remained at the forefront of everything connected to my treatment and care. I simply can’t recommend them too highly.

2nd April 2020

I cannot speak highly enough of Mr Kanna Gnanalingham. I find him a most charming and approachable medical professional. On 14 January whilst out walking close to my home I suffered excruciating pain in my lower back. I managed to get home but thereafter was limited to either crawling on all fours or lying on my back, but always in pain. My GP prescribed CoCodamol, which had limited effect; this was then upgraded to Morphine a few days later. He said there was every probability I had a slipped disc but it may eventually go back into position of it's own accord. During the ensuing two weeks I had three private treatments with an osteopath which provided some brief and temporary pain relief; however It was apparent that a scan was required to determine the cause of the problem. Following my pleading, my GP wrote to the Area Health Authority recommending I had an MRI scan. A week later I received a letter from the Health Authority inviting me to see a Physiotherapist (apparently the physio would examine me and determine whether a scan was necessary!). Frustrated by this bureaucracy I decided that I would pay to see a specialist at the BMI Alexandra hospital, Cheadle. I looked on their web site and was impressed by the many good reviews of Mr Gnanalingham. Within a few days I saw him for consultation. He arranged an MR scan which showed I had a left L3-4 lumbar disc prolapse trapping the 'motor' nerve that operated my left leg. My options for treatment were explained but it was clear surgery was required. Subsequently I saw the NHS physio who also confirmed surgery would be needed. Not having medical insurance nor the means to pay privately for the necessary treatment, I took a copy of Mr Gnanalingham's report to my GP who immediately wrote off to the Health Authority recommending I be considered for an operation. A week later I received a letter from the Authority requesting me to contact them. Although they were aware I had already had a private consultation (indeed they were in possession of Mr Gnanalingham's report), they said that I would have to have another consultation, but agreed that this could be at the Alexandra hospital and they arranged it for three weeks hence. I discovered the specialist I was to visit was Mr Gnanalingham! I contacted Mr Gnanalingham's very helpful PA (Vaani) requesting he call me to discuss this situation. I was pleasantly surprised that at 8:30 that same evening I received a call from the Vaani advising that Mr Gnanalingham had only just finished in theatre and he would contact me the following day (a Saturday) and to my further pleasant surprise he did telephone me that lunch time. The following Monday I visited him again and after further examination, he booked me in for an operation (on the NHS) for that coming Saturday, saving almost three weeks of waiting, in pain, for the consultation and who knows what period for the operation. Due to Mr Gnanalingham's skills I was immediately relieved of any pain from the prolapsed disc. What a relief!

21st March 2020

Mr. Gnanalingham has an easy, gentle manner which I found to be quite reassuring, His explanation of my condition and treatment was clear and the actual procedure was carried out in a manner and atmosphere that minimised any stress I might have had. After meeting Mr. Gnanalingham for the first time, I had great confidence in him and his abilities.

14th March 2020

I visited Mr Kanna Gnanalingham with troubling neck pain and increasing numbness in my fingers last year at BMI Alexandra hospital. MR scans showed problems with my cervical discs. Mr Gnanalingham took time to explain the causes and the possible treatments. After initial delays with my treatment due to unrelated problems with my arm , I had a cervical discectomy in November 2019. Mr Gnanalingham advised me that my symptoms may not be resolved as a result of the surgery but they hopefully wouldn't get any worse. I am very pleased to say that I have regained the full use of my hand again and my neck pain has been reduced. The care I have received from Mr Gnanalingham, Dr Sebastian the anaesthetist and the hospital staff has been excellent. The PA for Mr Gnanalingham has also provided excellent service, responding to my emails and calls very promptly. I would definitely recommend Mr Gnanalingham and his team.

14th March 2020

Mr Gnanalingham made no promises that he would be able to totally resolve my symptoms caused by cervical disc problems. However after thorough examination and discussion I had a cervical discectomy in November 2019. The surgery was performed in the BMI Alexandra hospital. The care I received from Mr Gnanalingham, his anaesthetist, the hospital staff and Vaani, his PA has been extremely good. My troubling symptoms have almost gone and I have been left with a small nest scar. I would absolutely recommend Mr Gnanalingham and his anaesthetist Dr Sebastian

Mr Kanna Gnanalingham was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2020 for delivering outstanding care.

After studying Medicine in Manchester, Mr Gnanalingham completed his Neurosurgical training in London. This included specialist training in Complex spinal surgery, Pituitary and Skull base surgery, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He learned minimally invasive techniques at several centres in the UK and US and was appointed as a Consultant at the Greater Manchester Neuroscience Centre at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (SRFT) in 2005. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Manchester. His sub-speciality interests include pituitary, anterior skull base and complex spine surgery, utilising minimally invasive techniques. He is the lead consultant for Pituitary surgery in Manchester and introduced the endoscopic approach to the region. With respect to the spine, Mr Gnanalingham has particular interests in degenerative spinal disease, spinal trauma, tumours, spinal arthroplasty and other motion preserving technologies. He has a preference for minimally invasive spinal approaches that minimise post-operative pain and speed up post-operative recovery. In recognition of his expertise, Mr Gnanalingham is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings and conduct workshops for spinal and pituitary disorders. He offers an international fellowship in minimally invasive surgery. He has a strong interest in clinical and basic science research in Neuroscience, qualified to a doctorate level, with over 100 publications and international presentations. Publications (Pubmed) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gnanalingham+k

Nearest Neurosurgeons