Mr Kanna Gnanalingham

After studying Medicine in Manchester, Mr Gnanalingham completed his Neurosurgical training in London. This included specialist training in Complex spinal surgery, Pituitary and Skull base surgery, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He learned minimally invasive techniques at several centres in the UK and US and was appointed as a Consultant at the Greater Manchester Neuroscience Centre at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (SRFT) in 2005. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Manchester. His sub-speciality interests include pituitary, anterior skull base and complex spine surgery, utilising minimally invasive techniques. He is the lead consultant for Pituitary surgery in Manchester and introduced the endoscopic approach to the region. With respect to the spine, Mr Gnanalingham has particular interests in degenerative spinal disease, spinal trauma, tumours, spinal arthroplasty and other motion preserving technologies. He has a preference for minimally invasive spinal approaches that minimise post-operative pain and speed up post-operative recovery. In recognition of his expertise, Mr Gnanalingham is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings and conduct workshops for spinal and pituitary disorders. He offers an international fellowship in minimally invasive surgery. He has a strong interest in clinical and basic science research in Neuroscience, qualified to a doctorate level, with over 100 publications and international presentations. Publications (Pubmed) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gnanalingham+k

• Neurosurgery

25th November 2019

From a patient point of view, it’s miraculous what they do. Complex operations performed and always focused on you and your wellbeing. Your in safe hands with this wonderful team. I am hopefully on the road to a full recovery.

Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital
17th November 2019

I first met Mr Gnanalingham in 2014. He was extremely caring and knowledgeable and was able to guide me through my recovery process, giving me advice as and when I needed it. Thanks to his expertise my back has continued to be in relatively good shape and in a recent consultation, he was able to confirm that I needed no further treatment at the moment.

Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital
17th November 2019

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumour and received conflicting information from surgeons from various hospitals. Being the sole breadwinner, it was a daunting period. However, Dr. Gnanalingham was very reassuring and guided me through the entire process, his experience and knowledge truly puts him in a class of his own. My recent results (scans/blood) indicate my body is back to it’s normal. I am very pleased with my overall experience as Dr. Gnanalingham and his PA Vaani made me feel I was in safe hands. I or my family could reach out to them at any time of the day, especially after the surgery. It’s refreshing to see their level of commitment towards their patients, a big thank you to you both.

15th November 2019

I have found Mr Gnanalingham over the last three years to be very professional, caring and reassuring. He instills confidence, he listens to you and takes time to explain complex issues so that you understand. He has performed two surgeries for me and on both occasions has been available to talk and reassure me immediately following the operation whilst still within the recovery room. Additionally he has on both occasions taken the time to personnally contact my next of kin to explain how my surgery went and how I was postoperative. I have implicit faith in Mr Gnanalingham and if in the future I require further surgery I sincerely hope he would be available to perform it for me.

10th November 2019

I was diagnosed with a tumour on my pituitary gland and required neurosurgery. This was performed by Mr Gnanalingham and his team in June. It was a serious operation and lasted longer than the average time. However, I felt totally safe in Mr Gnanalingham's hands. He explained everything to me at every stage, was meticulous in making sure that the surgery was planned carefully, with all the best team members being available on the day. He left no stone unturned in checking my health pre-operatively. He ensured that the after-care I received was superb. Even though Mr Gnanalingham is obviously a very well known and accomplished surgeon, he took the time to get to know me, and ascertain that all my needs, including family and emotional matters were met. Spotless hospital too, with Mr Gnanalingham and his team leading the way to demonstrate thorough care to prevent cross infection at every opportunity. I will always be thankful that my endocrinologist referred me to this surgeon for my op. I have recovered well and suffered no complications, and can highly recommend Mr Gnanalingham in every way.

Nearest Neurosurgeons