Mr Kanna Gnanalingham

After studying Medicine in Manchester, Mr Gnanalingham completed his Neurosurgical training in London. This included specialist training in Complex spinal surgery, Pituitary and Skull base surgery, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He learned minimally invasive techniques at several centres in the UK and US and was appointed as a Consultant at the Greater Manchester Neuroscience Centre at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (SRFT) in 2005. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Manchester. His sub-speciality interests include pituitary, anterior skull base and complex spine surgery, utilising minimally invasive techniques. He is the lead consultant for Pituitary surgery in Manchester and introduced the endoscopic approach to the region. With respect to the spine, Mr Gnanalingham has particular interests in degenerative spinal disease, spinal trauma, tumours, spinal arthroplasty and other motion preserving technologies. He has a preference for minimally invasive spinal approaches that minimise post-operative pain and speed up post-operative recovery. In recognition of his expertise, Mr Gnanalingham is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings and conduct workshops for spinal and pituitary disorders. He offers an international fellowship in minimally invasive surgery. He has a strong interest in clinical and basic science research in Neuroscience, qualified to a doctorate level, with over 100 publications and international presentations. Publications (Pubmed) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gnanalingham+k

• Neurosurgery

23rd February 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

To begin with, Vaani was so wonderfully accommodating and helpful with all my appointments. The wait for an appointment was minimal, and Mr Gnanalingham himself, a very skilled, compassionate, and understanding surgeon. Care at the Alex was above expectation, and I would recommend Mr Gnanalingham for any back or spinal problem without hesitation. I was an NHS patient, am an experienced Critical Care Nurse myself, and I would say the whole surgical experience was the best advertisement of the NHS system, thanks to Mr. Gnanalingham, Vaani, and his team. Many thanks to you.

18th February 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

Only issue was the length of the wait to see the Dr. However, once in the appointment you do not feel rushed in any way and have time to discuss any concerns you have.

16th February 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

I was under the care of Mr Kanna Gnanalingham at the BMI Alexandra, Cheadle. From the onset of my first meeting with Mr Gnanalingham, I knew that I had made the right choice of Neurosurgeons. I felt really comfortable being able to talk to him and he fully discussed all options available to me for my condition. I opted for surgery and had an Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion C6/C7. On the appointments leading up to my decision to have surgery Mr Gnanalingham was always happy to answer any questions I had and he took time to explain to me what would happen during my procedure. On the day of my operation Mr Gnanalingham came to see me on the ward and he reassured my anxieties. He came to talk to me in recovery and again when I was back on the ward where he, at all times, kept me informed of how things had gone. On my follow up appointment, Mr Gnanalingham again took time to discuss my operation outcome and his listening skills are second to none, especially when I pulled out a long list of questions from my handbag and he answered each and every one!!! Mr Gnanalingham is a true gentleman, who is very caring and gentle, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone looking for a consultant in his field of expertise. I would also like to compliment the team as a whole. The anaesthetist was again very caring and professional and the PA to Mr Gnanalingham has also been very helpful in finding answers to all the questions that I had asked her. Thank you for looking after me……….

15th February 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

I had a spinal operation under the care of Mr. Gnanalingham at the BMI The Alexandra Hospital. I have been under the care of Mr. Gnanalingham for the past six months regarding my spinal problems. From the word go Mr. Gnanalingham has been an excellent consultant regarding my treatment, he explained in detail all of the procedures giving me peace of mind which ended with a very positive result. If in the foreseeable future there is any recurrence of my spinal problems I wouldn't hesitate to contact Mr. Gnanalingham again. Both myself and my wife would also like to comment on all of the support and communications with Mr. Gnanalinghams secretary Mrs. Vaani Navaratnam.

11th February 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I am very grateful for the help I have received. Outstanding service, Dr Gnanalinghan was more than willing to go the extra mile.

Nearest Neurosurgeons