Mr Kanna Gnanalingham

After studying Medicine in Manchester, Mr Gnanalingham completed his Neurosurgical training in London. This included specialist training in Complex spinal surgery, Pituitary and Skull base surgery, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He learned minimally invasive techniques at several centres in the UK and US and was appointed as a Consultant at the Greater Manchester Neuroscience Centre at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (SRFT) in 2005. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Manchester. His sub-speciality interests include pituitary, anterior skull base and complex spine surgery, utilising minimally invasive techniques. He is the lead consultant for Pituitary surgery in Manchester and introduced the endoscopic approach to the region. With respect to the spine, Mr Gnanalingham has particular interests in degenerative spinal disease, spinal trauma, tumours, spinal arthroplasty and other motion preserving technologies. He has a preference for minimally invasive spinal approaches that minimise post-operative pain and speed up post-operative recovery. In recognition of his expertise, Mr Gnanalingham is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings and conduct workshops for spinal and pituitary disorders. He offers an international fellowship in minimally invasive surgery. He has a strong interest in clinical and basic science research in Neuroscience, qualified to a doctorate level, with over 100 publications and international presentations. Publications (Pubmed) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gnanalingham+k

• Neurosurgery

21st May 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

"I cannot speak highly enough of Mr Kanna Gnanalingham. I find him a most charming and approachable medical professional. On 14 January whilst out walking close to my home I suffered excruciating pain in my lower back. I managed to get home but thereafter was limited to either crawling on all fours or lying on my back, but always in pain. My GP prescribed Co Codamal, which had limited effect; this was then upgraded to Morphine a few days later. During the ensuing two weeks I had three private treatments with an osteopath which provided some brief and temporary pain relief; however, It was apparent that a scan was required to determine the cause of the problem. Following my pleading, my GP wrote to the Area Health Authority recommending I had an MRI scan. A week later I received a letter from the Health Authority inviting me to see a Physiotherapist (apparently the physio would examine me and determine whether a scan was necessary!). Frustrated by this bureaucracy I decided that I would pay to see a specialist at the BMI Alexandra Hospital, Cheadle. I looked on their website and was impressed by the many good reviews of Mr Gnanalingham. Within a few days I saw him for consultation. He arranged an MR scan which showed I had a left L3-4 lumbar disc prolapse trapping the 'motor' nerve that operated my left leg. My options for treatment were explained but it was clear surgery was required. I took a copy of Mr Gnanalingham's report to my GP who immediately wrote off to the Health Authority recommending I be considered for an operation. A week later I received a letter from the Authority requesting me to contact them. I contacted Mr Gnanalingham's very helpful PA (Vaani) requesting he call me to discuss this situation. I was pleasantly surprised that at 8:30 that same evening I received a call from the Vaani advising that Mr Gnanalingham had only just finished in theatre and he would contact me the following day (a Saturday) and to my further pleasant surprise he did telephone me that lunchtime. The following Monday I visited him again and after further examination, he booked me in for an operation (on the NHS) for that coming Saturday, saving almost three weeks of waiting, in pain, for the consultation and who knows what period for the operation. Due to Mr Gnanalingham's skills, I was immediately relieved of any pain from the prolapsed disc. What a relief!

20th May 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

After being diagnosed with a benign brain tumour at Macclesfield General Hospital in October 2011 I was referred to Mr. Gnanalingham for outpatient care. After MRI scans Mr. Gnanalingham diagnosed a right parietal lobe meningioma. He suggested we work with a "watch and wait" strategy. This has worked extremely well and seven years later this cause of care still works well, Mr. Gnanalingham has personally attended me at all my outpatient appointments. We always discuss the tumour and he answers any questions I may have. He has a very personable "bedside manner" which always has me leaving my appointment fully satisfied with his advise. I would have no qualms in referring anyone with a similar condition to his care.

11th May 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I have been a patient of Mr Gnanalingham's for over four years. In that time, I have experienced an unparalleled level of care that has saved my spine and my life. I first met Mr Gnanalingham when I had been experiencing intense nerve pain in my right leg for several years; this nerve pain was due to a sizeable nerve sheath tumour in my spine. He successfully removed the tumour and also fitted a metal cage for spinal support. I was initially incredibly worried about the operation, as I was sure that there would be complications due to the size of the tumour and its positioning in my spine. To my delight, I recovered very quickly and experienced minimal nerve pain and damage after my surgery. Despite the severity of the surgery, you would not be able to tell that I ever had a problem with my spine, which speaks to his sheer skill and professionalism. In addition to the success of the operation, I must also speak of Mr Gnanalingham's personal manner. From my first appointment prior to surgery, he was friendly and supportive, reassuring both me and my family. While I was in surgery, his team updated my family; while I was coming round from my operation, he personally reassured my family, which I know that they really appreciated. Throughout my stay in the ICU, he checked up on me and made sure I was comfortable. He was also very supportive when I was beginning to find my stay in hospital overwhelming. In the years after my surgery, I have seen him for scans and check up appointments. I'm always met with a friendly and reassuring smile. I have confidence that this level of care is experienced by all patients of his, and I cannot recommend him enough. He is now somewhat of a legend in my family!

5th May 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

I am pleased to have the opportunity to relate of my experience at the Neurosurgical Dept. Alexandra Hospital under the care of Mr. Gnanalingham. From the moment I was taken to theatre I was made to feel relaxed and comfortable. Mr.Gnanalingham explained to me all the time what he was doing. I am pleased and confident that I will be under his care again very soon.

27th April 2018
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I was referred to Mr Gnanalingham after having an MRI scan on my shoulder. The scan showed up an abnormality in the base of my skull. When I met Mr Gnanalingham he made me feel at ease straight away. He has such a caring manner and explains in simple terms what procedure he was going to carry out. After my operation he personally called my wife to tell her all had gone well with the operation and he visited me on the ward at 10pm in the evening. I had my operation at 9am in the morning. I had a complication with a nasal infection and he took the time out to personally call me at home late in the evening checking on my well being as well as making sure I had got the correct medication to deal with the infection. Thank your Mr Gnanalingham for the Fantastic care given by yourself and your team. Your are a true credit to Salford Royal and our so much criticised great NHS.

Nearest Neurosurgeons