Mr Hama Attar

Hama is a consultant urological surgeon who has been awarded the Certificate of Excellence in Patient Care in 2018 and again in 2019. He is the Head of the Department of Urology (Clinical Lead) for Urological Services at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in Central London. In addition to general and diagnostic urology (especially prostate and bladder cancers), he has an interest in treating complex kidney stones and kidney urothelial tumours using minimally invasive techniques and laser technology. He also specialises in treating urinary tract strictures using the same approach. Prior to becoming a consultant urologist, he undertook extensive training in Endourology and Stone Surgery at the Institute of Urology at University College London Hospital. He treats patients with kidney stones from both across the UK and internationally. He very keen on academic activities and regularly teaches on different urological courses for junior urology trainees and nurses. He has published over 30 scientific papers which he has presented in various international meetings and his work on the subject of vasectomy has contributed to changing practice. He has obtained his Masters degree in urinary incontinence disorders from the University College London. He also spent one year doing his research post in Neuro-Urology at the Spinal Injury Unit at the renowned Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore where he gained a vast experience in treating various urological conditions such as kidney and bladder stones, bladder overactivity, urinary incontinence, recurrent infections and erectile dysfunction. He is a regular examiner for Imperial College medical students at Chelsea and Westminster, Charing Cross and St Mary's hospitals. In his clinical practice, he creates an active team-working environment which translates into providing the best possible quality of care and outcomes for his patients. Publications in Scientific Journals: 1. An Unusual Case of Pure Testicular Seminoma in a 92 year old Patient: a Case report. Denning C, Tay LJ, Attar KH (World Journal of Clinical Urology February 2017) 2. Long term Outcomes of Augmentation Ileocystoplasty in Spinal Cord Injured Patients: a Minimum of 10-year Follow-Up. Gurung P, Attar KH, Abdul-Rahman A, Morris T, Hamid R, Shah PJR. BJU Int. 2012. PMID: 21851549 3. Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumour of the Spermatic Cord. Gurung P, Attar KH, Peters JL. Int J Urol 2010: 17(7): 679-80. PMID: 20482657 4. Clearance After Vasectomy: Has the Time Come to Modify The Current Practice? Attar KH, Gurung P, Holden S, Peters JL, Philp T. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2010; 44(3):147-50. PMID: 20201750 5. Long Term Outcome of Tension-Free Vaginal Tape for the Treatment of Stress Incontinence In Females with Neuropathic Bladders. Abdul-Rahman A, Attar KH, Hamid R, Shah PJR. BJU Int.2010;106(6):827-30. PMID: 20132201 6. The Relationship between Bladder Management and Health-related Quality of Life in Patients with Spinal Cord Injury in the UK. Liu CW, Attar KH, Gall A, Shah J, Craggs M. Spinal Cord. 2009;48(4):319-24. PMID: 19841636 7. Patients' Perspective of Botulinum Toxin-A as a Long-Term Treatment Option for Neurogenic Detrusor Overactivity Secondary to Spinal cord Injury. Hori S, Patki P, Attar KH, Ismail S, Vasconcelos JC, Shah PJR. BJU Int. 104(2):216-20 PMID: 19220255 8. Polydimethylsiloxane in the Treatment of Sphincter Weakness Incontinence in Men with Spinal Cord Injury: Long-Term Follow-Up. Attar KH , Gurung P, Hamid R, Wood S , Shah PJR. BJUMS 2008;1(2):63-66 9. Kidney Salvage Using the Fibrinogen- and Thrombin-coated Sponge TachoSil during Nephron-Sparing Surgery for the Resection of Large Renal Tumours. Attar KH, Namasivayam J, Green J, Peters J. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2008 Jul; 90(5):W8 10. The Urological Management of Patients with Spinal Cord Injury. Attar KH, Shah PJR. Saudi Urological Association Newsletter Dec 2008;2(2):3-4 11. The First Semen Analysis after Vasectomy: Timing and Definition of Success. Attar KH, Holden S, Peters J and Philp T. BJU Int. 2007; 100(3):700-1. PMID: 17669151. 12. Robotic Anderson-Hynes Pyeloplasty: 5-year Experience of One Centre. Attar KH, Webster G. Surgeon’s News 13. Increasing Safety While Decreasing Stress at Radical Prostatectomy: a Novel Use of the Scrubbing Sponge. Rowe EW, Attar KH, Karim O. BJU Int. 2004; 94(1):188-9.PMID: 15217459 14. Adding Space and Colour, Without Tying a Knot, at the Bladder Neck-Urethral Stump Anastomosis during Radical Prostatectomy. Rowe EW, Attar KH, Karim OM. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2004; 7(3):268-9. PMID: 15249930 15. Trans-Rectal Ultrasound-guided Biopsy of the Prostate: Nationwide Diversity in Practice and training in the United Kingdom. Lee G, Attar K, Laniado M, Karim O. Int Urol Nephrol. 2007; 39(1):185. PMID: 17268896 16. Diagnosis and Management of Prostatitis: a Urological Challenge. Attar KH, Hamid R, Peters J. Trends Urol Gyn Sex Health. 2007; 12(4):26-30 17. Safety and Detailed Patterns of Morbidity of Transrectal Ultrasound guided Needle Biopsy of Prostate in a Urologist-led Unit. Lee G, Attar K, Laniado M, Karim O. Int Urol Nephrol. 2006; 38(2):281-5. PMID:16868698 18. Treating Co-Existent Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia/ Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Erectile Dysfunction in the aging men. Blake-James B, Attar KH, Emberton M. Aging Health. 2007; 3(2): 191-200 19. Secondary Polycythaemia Associated with Unilateral Renal Cystic Disease. Blake-James B, Attar KH, Rabbani S, Yeghen T, Owen R, Peters. J. Int Urol Nephrol. 2007; 39(3):955-8. PMID: 16835724 20. Folding the Flow Rate: a Simple Method to Display and File the Uroflowmetry Tracing. Attar KH, Rowe E, Karim O. Int Urol Nephrol. 2004; 36(4):533-6. PMID: 15787331 21. The Secret of the Phantom Stone: a Case Report. Attar KH, Lee G, Rowe E, Hudd C. Int Urol Nephrol. 2004; 36(1):27-8. 22. Case Report: Minimally Invasive Treatment of an Unusual Obstructive Ectopic Upper Pole Ureter. Lee G, Attar KH, Hudd C. Int Urol Nephrol. 2004; 36(1):21-2. 23. Rare Species of Actinomyces as Causative Pathogens in Breast Abscess. Attar KH, Waghorn D, Cunnick G. Breast J. 2007 Sep-Oct; 13(5):501-5. PMID: 17760673 24. Capsular Flap for Correction of Contour Deformities of the Breast. Imran D, Javaid M, Lewis D, Attar KH. Ann Plast Surg. 2005 Jun; 54(6):662-3. PMID: 15900156 25. An Anomalous Muscle Mimicking a Dorso-Radial Ganglion as a Cause of Radial Wrist Pain. Imran D, Avarmidis M, Attar KH. Hand Surg. 2006; 11(1-2):47-9. PMID: 17080528 26. Vacuum-assisted Closure (VAC) Therapy in the Management of Digital Pulp Defects. Attar KH, Imran D, Iyer S Acta Chir Plast. 2007; 49(3):75-6. PMID: 1805158 27. Grafting Posterior Tibial Nerve with Ipsilateral Sural nerve Cables in Leg Re-Plantation- a Common Sense Approach. Imran D, Attar KH. Acta Chir Plast. 2007; 49(3):63-5. PMID: 18051584 28. The Cosmetic Bladder. Patki P, Attar KH, Shah PJR. Charter Continence Care. Issue 14, 2008 29. Prostate Cancer’. Attar KH. Men’s Health Magazine. February Edition, 2008. 30. Laparoscopic Clam Ileocystoplasty: Technical feasibility ad Reduced Morbidity. Patki P, Attar KH, Patel K, Kirker D, Desai M, Shah J. Journal of Urology 2008;179(4):240-242 31. The Role of Ultrasound in the Urological Surveillance of Spinal Cord Injured Patients. Gurung P, Abdulrahman A, Attar KH et al. Journal of Urology. 2009; 181(4):934

« 1 2 3 4 »

Written by a patient at Bupa Cromwell Hospital
15th November 2019

Highly professional and accommodating to patients

13th November 2019

Mr Attar is a superb professional. He blends an excellent clinical knowledge with a superb caring attitude. He dealt with my health issue with both compassion and attentiveness.

17th October 2019

This doctor he came from different planets. His so friendly very helpful big smile on his face very polite Talking to every one in hospital his every were at reception with customer care ohh my god his very energetic very helpful I hope we see like this doctor on every hospital in uk because we really mis this kind of so nice

28th August 2019

I had to have a kidney stone removed which was quite large and dense therefore not so straightforward. I was obviously extremely anxious of making sure the best option was chosen as the stone did not have to come out however, I did not want to risk it causing further problems in the future. Mr Attar was patient, kind, sensitive and informative guiding me through every option so I could take the best step. He went beyond helpfulness to ensure that I had the best care possible including frequent after calls to check that I was no longer in pain. He gave me confidence and succeeded in getting rid of a difficult stone. I was delighted with his care throughout and was so happy I chose him. I cannot recommend him highly enough and thank him for his fabulous care. TW

Written by a patient at The Princess Grace Hospital
25th July 2019

I am a tourist in London right now. Last week, I went into the hospital emergency unit because of kidney stone. The pain came suddenly and was unbearable. Because the stone was not big and I should be able to pass out myself, I was discharged on the same day and went home with lots of pain killers. Then I waited in fear for a week without knowing whether or not the stone has come out or not. I didn’t want to wait passively any longer, so I decided to see a doctor again. This is when I was introduced to Dr. Attar. My friend told me Dr. Attar is the top-notch specialist in this area. Based on my 2 visits to Dr. Attar, I can confidently tell you that he lives up to his reputation and he is simply the best doctor I have ever had or I could have dreamed of. First of all, he is super friendly and approachable. Secondly, he is such a great communicator. He explains to me my situations and options so clearly, succinctly and professionally. I think Dr. Attar would easily make a great professor at a medical school. Thirdly, he is so responsible that he went above and beyond to make sure that I feel comfortable and that I fully understand my situation. He not only showed me the latest CT scan I took during his time but also patiently showed me the first CT scan I took when I was at the emergency unit. Seeing the comparison between the 2 CT scans really helped me to better understand the situation. If I met Dr. Attar earlier in my life, I think I could have been inspired by him to become a doctor myself. He would be such a good teacher. I feel that I learnt a lot from him during my two visits to him about kidney stone. To me, he is not just a doctor who is paid to treat patient, he is like an angel who is really here to look after and take great care of his patient. In the end, Dr. Attar told me the good news that my stone has been passed out and I won’t need any procedures. I was extremely happy. He could have just let me leave his room at that point of time. But instead, he took his time again patiently sharing his knowledge about how to avoid having kidney stone in the future among other valuable advices he gave me. I am sooooo lucky to have Dr. Attar. I wish other people in need will be as lucky as me to have Dr. Attar, that is why I am writing this review, I wish more patients could benefit from Dr. Attar. 我正在伦敦旅行。上周突然右下腹疼痛难忍,马上去看了医院急诊。做了一系列的检查,结果是肾结石。我从来也没得过,完全没有经验。医生说我当天就能出院,因为石头不大,可以自行排出,并给我了很多止痛药。之后我等了一周,也不知道有没有排出,很担心,不想再等了, 所以请朋友帮我介绍泌尿科专家,朋友推荐了Dr Attar, 说是这方面非常棒的专家。 我先后见了Dr Attar两次,基于这两次的见面, 我可以非常负责任地告诉您, 他真的是超级棒的医生,是我遇过的最负责任的, 最棒的医生。 首先,他人非常的友善,完全不会像某些顶级医生自认为自己很了不起很专业就一副拒人千里的不容被质疑的感觉。然后,他非常善于沟通,把生涩的的医疗词语可以用非常清晰易懂的语言讲给我。我觉得他如果不做医生,去医学院做教授,会是一位非常出色的、善于启发学生的教授。他真的非常的负责任。他知道我在急诊时没看过我当时照的CT照片。 所以他不仅给我看了我新照的CT照片,还耐心的花时间给我看我之前照的CT照片,让我亲眼看到对比和变化,让我对自己的情况掌握的更全面。我觉得从他身上学到了很多医学知识。如果我年轻时遇到他,也许我会被他启发到去学医。最后Dr Attar告诉我好结果,我的石头已经排出,无需做手术,我太开心了。此刻他本来可以让我走了,但居然还抽出时间,耐心的提醒我以后要如何注意多饮水以避免再次得肾结石,还给我了其它非常好的建议。他真的不只是一个收了钱给人看病的医生,我觉得他就是个天使。我觉得我很幸运遇到他,我希望其他有需要的病人能像我一样幸运遇到他,所以我写下这篇评语,希望能有更多的朋友受益于Dr. Attar.

« 1 2 3 4 »