Mr John Shotton

13th August 2019

Mr John Shotton what a clever man, 4 days ago he done a procedure on my very large pharyngeal pouch which has changed my life, I am so indebted to this man, after just a few days it has made such a difference, he is a man of few words but he certainly is very dedicated to his work. he deserves an award, many thanks.

Written by a carer at Kent and Sussex Hospital
28th June 2019

Husband saw him yesterday, he agrees totally about the manner in which he was told a few things he has not be made aware of at Pembury T Wells Hosp, like, being underweight, prolactin levels sky high, needing head MRI scan.possible pituitary gland problem, being spoken to as if he knew all this! We've been trying for the past three weeks to get a proper diagnosis, husband came out of his office looking like he'd been told he had cancer! We were dreading this appointment anyway, wondering what we were going to be told. He switched off after hearing about the Pituitary gland problem, did not really take in rest of what he was being told. Wished I'd gone in with him. He felt like he was an idiot, did not know about high prolactin levels, although I saw on his discharge they were awaiting blood test results. We are still in the dark as to long term prospects etc.

23rd June 2019

Mr Shotton performed my parotid surgery. He was very informative pre-operation taking time to explain the procedure and fully answer my questions. I had the surgery four days ago and had little to no pain following the operation. I had a very positive experience with Mr Shotton and the team at Kent & Sussex, my thanks to you all.

17th February 2018

Genuinely perplexed by these reviews. He couldn’t have been more pleasant, sympathetic and efficient, and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend based on my own experience

26th June 2017

Had a partial thyroidectomy procedure by Dr John Shotton in 2012. Unfortunately had a post op bleed on return from theatre in less than an hour. Junior doctor called ... yanking clips out of my neck to aid breathing . Dr Shotton bleeped but no reply . Gone . He was suppose to be available . I took another trip to theatre and a surgeon from another hospital had to be called away from clinic to operate on me to control the bleeding. Dr Shotton was suppose to be available . Horrendous experience. Dr Shotton at least had the decency to check up on me that evening ... in his sailing outfit . Just to calm the waters . I should have aired my concerns at the time but was shocked. He was obviously absent without leave . The junior staff were covering for him. Another surgeon from a sister hospital had to be pulled off his clinics to do his emergency procedure after a bleed from a thyroidectomy. Dr Shotton was suppose to be available. I gathered this from the staff as they repeated tried to contact him . This was my experience .

• Otolaryngology