Mr John Grice

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

24th June 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

I had a bad break to my ankle in Feb 2016 after an operation at The Great Western Hospital the injury didn't repair and nearly a year later I saw Mr Grice again at The Great Western. He was absolutely brilliant from the start. He explained everything to me explaining what he would do and what he hoped to achieve. He also informed me of the long term expectations. He is a really lovely, patient man who takes the time to listen to you. I would totally recommend him.

4th May 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

John Grice took over the care of my broken and dislocated ankle after it was realised there had been a misdiagnosis of my injuries by another department. He was extremely apologetic on his colleagues behalf and was, from the outset, honest about what had happened and also the worst case scenario for my future. He explained the extent of my injuries, using models, in a no nonsense way, informed me what he would do to try to fix my foot and kept me updated at every step (!) of the way! He performed my surgery, which went better than we'd hoped for, and the aftercare has been superb! From enabling me to change an uncomfortable cast to giving me great advice on supportive footwear, he has been friendly, approachable but professional in all aspects of my treatment and I highly recommend him.

28th April 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

I have had great care from Mr Grice and his team, on my date for my procedure the visit was all dealt with in a totally professional way I was given all the information about the operation and after care and the day went like clockwork, the team who carried out my operation were just fantastic we had a little banter before I was put to sleep which totally relaxed me, in a strange way it was an enjoyable day which is down to the caring staff. I hope this information gets back to them and they understand what a great job they are doing.

3rd April 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

While out on a training ride with my local cycling club I hit some mud and went down quite hard on my left ankle. I was unable to carry on and was taken to the Great Western Hospital for emergency care. I was quickly x-rayed, nothing was broken so I was strapped up and sent home with an appointment to see a physiotherapist a week later. The Physio was concerned that the x-ray showed a possible Syndesmotic sprain. She suggested I saw the Orthopaedics department and I was lucky that the ankle specialist was on duty that day. I saw Mr Grice and he explained I had an unstable ankle joint caused by previous sporting injuries and a motorcycle accident. This sort of injury could become more frequent as the joint became weaker with all the extra wear and tear from the looseness of the ankle. I expressed to Mr Grice how upset I was about the injury as I was training for an Ironman race the day after my fiftieth birthday. Mr Grice showed empathy with my situation and suggested surgery to investigate the joint and offered various possible solutions. I was booked in for the surgery five days later, less than two weeks after the original accident. The ankle was operated on and remedial action taken to tighten the joint and remove old damaged tissue / bone spurs / loose bone particles in the joint. Some weeks later I had another appointment with Mr Grice who showed me all the photos taken of the joint before and after the operation. He also explained in detail the procedures I had under gone using the before and after x-rays. He seemed really interested in trying to help me get back to my normal level of fitness as soon as possible. I could not have asked for better care.

29th March 2017
Written by a patient at BMI The Ridgeway Hospital

Excellent advice received regarding a long standing anke injury and previous operation(s). Thorough, empathic and clear explanation as to the likely causes of my current symptoms with honest and useful suggestions for further management and rehabilitation. Capable, confidence-inspiring and charming. Would certainly recommend to friends and family.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr John Grice: http://iwgc.net/ehami