Mr Joby George Malal

Mr Joby George Malal has a clinical practise dedicated to diagnosing and treating problems of the upper limb (Shoulder, Elbow and Hands). He underwent higher surgical training at the Mersey (Liverpool) Deanery gaining his CCT (Specialist Accreditation) in 2012. He acquired further subspecialist knowledge and expertise in his field by undertaking fellowship training at the world renowned Liverpool Upper Limb Unit before being appointed as a Consultant Upper Limb Surgeon in 2013. He believes in a holistic approach to treating patients under his care and ensures an unhurried consultation, giving adequate time to discuss the problem at hand and consider various treatment options available. Where appropriate, he uses the most advanced, minimally invasive and evidence based surgical techniques to treat musculoskeletal problems ensuring the best possible results. He is also an experienced joint replacement surgeon. A team of specialist anaesthetists and therapists work with him, ensuring a speedy return to function and normal life.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

Written by a patient at Spire Harpenden Hospital
9th January 2020

Mr George-Malal is a good listener and appears to have the patient's interests at heart. Not all consultants are as easy to relate to. He also takes pride in his work and seemed to be pleased with the results of his work on my shoulder.

1st January 2020

After a life-changing shattering of my right elbow on the last day of May 2018 and unfortunately not the greatest aftercare via the NHS I sought out the help of Mr Malal. He operated on my elbow on 20th June 2019 and straightaway I had additional movement and following his advise I had weekly physio with Anna Stewart. It has taken a lot of hard work but in November/December the pain is almost non-existent and the range of movement I now have although not perfect allows me to do so many "normal" activities. My first consultation with Mr Malal was such a positive experience and everything he said would be possible has happened and I now continue my role as a Personal Trainer which I so had doubts would be possible and my other occupation offering Accounting Services. Both these roles require a functioning elbow especially as I am right handed. I can never thank him enough for his care, honesty and positive attitude plus that amazing smile. If and when I require the replacement elbow we discussed (hopefully in a few more years) I will seek him out again.

31st December 2019

I was very impressed by this Consultant.

Written by a patient at Spire Harpenden Hospital
3rd November 2019

I had a straight forward procedure to remove a ganglion on my wrist. I had a pre surgery consultation where Dr Malal answered any questions and also a 6 week follow up appointment to answer any concerns. He gave all the information I asked for and made me feel in safe hands with his knowledge.

30th October 2019

2nd surgery performed by Mr Malal and he was fantastic. Incredibly careful and his quality of care precision is second to none (I've had 9 surgeries in my life, the scarring I have from both of his procedures has been minimal). This time round - from initial consultation to surgery - was 1 week! Aftercare was great too - he was prompt to recommend me for physiotherapy and I made a full recovery quicker than expected.

Short link to review Mr Joby George Malal: http://iwgc.net/egnfl