Mr James Hutchinson

I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Royal Derby Hospital and Derby Nuffield Hospital. I have been in my current post since 2002. I specialise in primary hip and knee replacement, revision hip replacement and the management of periprosthetic fractures. My medical school training was at The Queens College , University of Oxford and Addenbrookes Hospital, University of Cambridge. I carried out additional training in complex hip and knee surgery during a 12 month Fellowship in Perth, Western Australia. I submit all my cases to the National Joint Registry and the outcomes of my last 3000 joint replacement cases put me in the top 5% of UK surgeons in terms of revision rate. Hip and knee replacement is a real passion of mine- I firmly believe you only live once and that well performed hip and knee replacement prolongs good function and improves quality of life.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

31st July 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Derby

I am only just less than 4 weeks out of having a hip replacement, and am considered to be very young to have undergone such major surgery. However, I have had 10 years of agony, and with professionals not taking me seriously enough, leading to increasingly reduced activity levels, and it seriously impacting on all areas of my life depressingly. This man was very knowledgeable, experienced and compassionate. He was in full possession of my issues causing the pain in my hips, and knew what was required to be done to sort it before he came into the room to meet me. I did not have to go right through the history yet again of what the problem was, as he knew. His manner was very courteous, professional and although I was very distressed at the time, he completely put me at ease. I feel he has done his best by me, and chose the best hip for my lifestyle. The surgery was very successful, and my recovery has gone very well. This is also dependant on me doing exactly what I have been told to do, and not overdoing anything. I completely understand why professionals do not want to give hip replacements to younger patients, due to the risks involved with surgery, and having a hip implant. However, I feel Mr Hutchinson made the right decision by me to go ahead with this major surgery, as he stands by his beliefs that you only live once. My quality of life has already within this 4 weeks definitely been improved, and I hope will continue to get better. Thank you Mr Hutchinson.

Short link to review Mr James Hutchinson: http://iwgc.net/eebd9