Mr Ira Goldsmith

• Cardiothoracic surgery

1st September 2016
Written by a patient at Morriston Hospital

Mr Goldsmith is a genius who took my operation on when 2 others didn't want to know. He put me before his statistics. My odds of surviving lung cancer were 5% to 10% from diagnosis. He told me straight that the odds of my operation to remove the cancerous upper lobe of my right lung being successful was ''about 10%'' but he was willing to try because I was only 45 and would be almost guaranteed a spread if I did not take the chance. It was a huge gamble and he made that clear but I never hesitated to sign the consent form because there was simply something I trusted about him within my instincts. 2 years and 6 months later, chemo and radio and here I am. It turned out that he had less than 1mm to work with at one point during the operation. That's how steady and capable this man is. He also cut short a day off to fit me in 2 weeks earlier than the first date offered. Taking into account the 1mm margin, those 2 weeks he saved me could've made all the difference. I can't understand the 2 bad reviews, I can only assume their conclusions were based on distraction due to their illness affecting their communication with Mr Goldsmith and hampering their understanding, which is understandable under this level of stress. I would like to say to those 2 patients that at least they survived to type the reviews. There were a few problems I incurred with nursing on the HDU ward but I firmly blame that on the Tory deliberate destruction and the overworking ofour NHS staff. I was told by a nurse he has even pioneered a new technique for less invasive heart surgery but I cannot confirm that. Thank you so much Mr Goldsmith, I owe you my life Sir. I will also take this opportunity to thank Mr Goldsmiths surgical team and his secretary. Thank you all so much.

26th March 2016
Written by a patient at Morriston Hospital

Cardio thoracic ward at Morriston hospital was the most nasty callous vile place I have ever been. Even some of nurses seemed to lack empathy. Not so much a short staffed ward but some nurses seemed far more interested in their overtime pay and holidays and boyfriends and huddling around a central console to gossip. IRA GOLDSMITH needed to be far more communicative and less glib and more open and honest. Too many in the NHS talk about the modern techniques only to nearly always revert to their comfort zone of the old techniques. Also when under the care of the surgeon they should also have a proper interest in you an not just obsess about the operation.

24th March 2016
Written by a patient at Morriston Hospital

Suboptimal treatment under this surgeon. Don't like his third world solutions to first world problems. Could have done much better.

Nearest Cardiothoracic surgeons