Mr Ian Lindsey

6th July 2018
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

I wish to have a say as a patient badly injured after LVMR which was performed without my knowledge of the inclusion of mesh. In fact none of the procedure was explained to me. (Within a month of the op I had to have a sigmoid colectomy which I believe compromised the original LVMR). I found out mesh was used after I was left in severe pain after apparent failure of the op within the year. After EUA I was told the mesh had snapped and I needed repair. Exactly year later underwent an op which I believed to be a repair. Only to be told they couldn’t find half of the mesh. I have now found out they added a different mesh and unbeknown to me when they carried out STARR surgeons also did post colporrhaphy and anterior Sacrocolpopexy. Following these surgeries I suffered increasing pains, everything felt too tight and I suffered constant blockages. Eventually I had an ileostomy and developed parastomal hernia treated with yet more mesh. Finally I had my colon removed where mesh was found stuck to my small bowel. My health has since declined with constant obstruction episodes and regular bleeds through my stoma and the odd abscess and regular bouts of cystitis. The pains are so severe I cannot walk very far and I’m left housebound. All I have had from the surgeon is denial stating low incidence so have no proper help from my GP. Now after years of denial GP has tried to refer me for proper specialist care sending me to the Oxford removal mdt but his colleague won’t consider me for mesh removal. Unless Rectopexy and other mesh complications are recognised I see no future for me getting any proper healthcare as I know I need the UK specialist Sohir (Suzy) Elneil’s team at UCLH but I can’t travel any more. Along the way my notes went missing 3 times is it a coincidence?

19th January 2018
Written by a patient at The Manor Hospital, Oxford

I underwent a mesh rectopexy with Mr Lindsey privately. The initial consultation was brief and no exam was done, I was just told that my defecating proctogram showed prolapses that would require a mesh rectopexy to fix. The surgery resulted in complications that he failed to pick up, despite my insistence there was something wrong. I struggled to get hold of him when I was in such a dire situation, and at follow-up he still failed to pick up the problems caused by the mesh; he didn't examine me and instead thought I'd just need another mesh surgery, so I was referred to an NHS colleague as he knew I couldn't afford further private surgery. I wasn't advised of complications and potential problems with mesh other than the rare possibility of erosion; I certainly was not aware at that time of the possible problems that many faced with mesh, which now includes myself. I was told it was a safe procedure that he had done countless times be for, the only option for fixing such pelvic floor problems, and that was that. Aside from a drawing of a curve showing mesh, I wasn't told exactly what it was nor what it was made of. I was desperate and he knew that. Once I had paid and had the surgery done, I was handed over to someone else. I suffered complications as an immediate and direct result of the surgery that meant months of agony; I had this partially resolved in a further surgery, but still the rectum failed to function. I am now left with a stoma and no large bowel, the fear of vaginal perforation or erosion now I know the full extent of such possibilities, narrowing of the vagina affecting sex and even the use of tampons, lower back pain and rectal pain. I'm not even 30. I feel I was not given adequate information prior to surgery, nor was I adequately checked before or after the procedure was done. I feel I wasn't adequately supported when I stated how things felt wrong. I have lost a lot of faith in surgeons, and the whole experience for me is still on-going. I need a stoma revision and I'm waiting to see whether mesh removal may be possible. I have complained and asked for changes to be put into place for future patients, though the information booklet and online information appears the same. I feel my situation, and that of others who have or will have this procedure by this surgeon, are not of high priority when it comes to negative outcomes. In addition, despite being told of the negative outcomes (20% of patients simply not benefiting), I later discovered outcomes aren't even properly monitored; there's no definitive record of who haven't benefitted, and, more importantly, those who have suffered complications. I've lost so much from this surgery, which I feel needn't have been the case should adequate advice, care and support have been given.

Short link to review Mr Ian Lindsey: http://iwgc.net/eeusb