Written by a patient at Hull Royal Infirmary
13th January 2020

I have been under the care of Professor Sharma on /off since about2012. The first time I saw him was for a severely infected femur after a serious RTA in November 2011, this was causing me excruciating pain and swelling which was initially treated with an open wash out procedure and a vac fitted to my leg to try and take out all the infection, unfortunately this did not work, so I was referred to Professor Sharma and I am so grateful I was. He truly is a remarkable man and so polite who will give his 100% to you as a patient from beginning to end of your treatment he certainly is a credit to our NHS. Once again Many Thanks Professor Sharma.

Written by a patient at Hull Royal Infirmary
3rd November 2019

I was first introduced to Mr Sharma by a guy I’d paid to go & see on Harley St. I have Stage 4 Arthritis in my right ankle as a result of a nasty trauma in July 12. I was told arthritis would set in within 15-20 years but after 4 & 99% full recovery with no pain etc. the arthritis kicked in & went from Stage 0 to 4 in less than 2 years. I emailed him one Thurs morning around 11am & he replied within 2 hours to say he wanted to see me immediately. He invited me to join his NICE trial where he could do an ankle distraction where he’d pull my ankle apart about 8-10mm’s & fix me in a metal frame to give some of the cartilage that was still there the chance to re grow & the rest of my foot that had been working in a different way as my walking gait had changed to over compensate for how bad my ankle was. From the moment I met him I felt totally safe & that he knew exactly what he was doing. I had been treated up to that point at Sunderland but all I was offered was a joint fusion because you have to be at least 55 for an ankle replacement. But he offered me something else and the chance to be part of something he was trialing to bring to the NHS as a different way to treat osteoarthritis in younger patients. He was brilliant. I can’t fault him for anything. He explained everything to me & made sure I felt totally at ease. Nothing was too much trouble & he replied to any email questions I sent him almost immediately. I am still being treated by him but I cannot praise him enough for how he’s been & what he’s done. Unfortunately I won’t know how well the procedure has worked for a year but I’m pretty confident based on how well my recovery is going so far. But I have to say he is brilliant & if you get the chance to be treated by him then take it as he is so well respected in his field worldwide. I feel extremely grateful I’ve been able to be treated by him. He’s AMAZING!!! I saw him appointment wise at Hull Infirmary for my appointments but Castle Hill for my actual operation of adding & removing the metal frame.

Written by a patient at Castle Hill Hospital