mr-gerard-kelly

Written by a NHS patient at Leeds General Infirmary
3rd April 2021

I perforated my ear drum just over 3 years. This at first didn't cause problems but then I started to get infections all the time and it would bleed. I saw various Doctors and eventually was seen by Dr Kelly who said it needed an operation. I had to wait a while because of the Covid situation but I had my op in January with no problems. Dr Kelly always explained what was going to happen when I visited him. He had to take some skin from inside my ear to repair the hole but there is no scar. So glad its done and I can hear a lot better.

Written by a private patient at Leeds General Infirmary
28th March 2021

Dr Kelly's treatment of me was excellent clearing and thorough explaining everything he could do and giving me options. l was a bit of a detective job with not obvious simtoms which he solved . He always encouraged me to email him if I needed which felt like I had him on hand if I was anxious as I often was he did not make me feel like I was being a pest it felt very personal always a smile on his face so friendly

Written by a private patient at Spire Leeds Hospital
11th March 2021

My daughter suffered with a leaking ear from the age of 10 months. After a further 3 years of going back and forth to various NHS and private doctors, and being prescribed antibiotic after antibiotic, we thankfully found Mr Kelly through our health insurers. Mr Kelly was the first Dr we saw that performed a pressure test on her ear, and found that rather than it being a need for gromits as we had been told previously, it was in fact a case of the opposite needing to be done. My daughter had a hole that would not heal by itself and so was letting infection in. Within 2 months after initial consultation, my daughter underwent an operation to repair the hole. I believe it may have been quicker, had it not been for the covid situation. The operation was done as a day case, and it all went really smoothly. I was very happy with how thorough Mr Kelly was when he came to discuss the procedure. He was great at putting my daughter at ease too. 3 months on and I am amazed at the improvements we have seen with all her initial symptoms. The scar she's been left with is minimal, and we have had no need to visit any doctor about her ear since the op. Overall I think Mr Kelly is great at his job, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone with an ear problem.

Written by a private patient at Spire Leeds Hospital
10th March 2021

Phone consultation plus actual consultation went really well. He understood the problem from the start and so far, 1 month after surgery, all the pain/pressure has gone and my smell/taste has come back. Overall very happy. Do your own research before contacting your GP though in my case I went direct.

Written by a private patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds
10th March 2021

Very caring, listens to his patients, reached the heart of the matter straight away and explained why the GP was unable to pinpoint the problem with their limited equipment for practice use. A great relief to finally find a resolve after suffering outbreaks for a few years without conclusion. Unfortunately after an exceedingly very lengthy wait on the NHS list with no imminent appointment in sight I had to seek a private self funding resolve but well worth it.

Mr Gerard Kelly was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Gerard Kelly is a Consultant ENT surgeon in Leeds, he specialises in otology, neuro-otology and sinus surgery and treats both adults and children. He works in Leeds General Infirmary in NHS practice. He qualified in 1990 and became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1994. He trained in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and Manchester. He became a consultant ENT and skull base surgeon in 2001, in Leeds. In private practice her works in the Spire Hospital, Leeds and The Leeds Nuffield Hospital. He sees only private patients in the private sector (whereas some consultants see both NHS and private patients in private hospitals). He is a member of the council of the British Society of Otology (BSO, part of ENTUK) and runs the BSO balance course. He has an MD (Docorate of Medicine) and an MEd (Masters of Education degree) as well as his primary medical degree.

Nearest Otolaryngologists