Mr Gaurav Batra

I have been a Hip & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon Consultant at Salford Royal Hospital since 2010. I perform Hip and Knee Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, Arthroscopic (keyhole) Hip and Knee Surgery, including ACL reconstruction. I treat people with sports injuries. I am one of few Orthopaedic Consultants in the region who has also completed their Sports Medicine Membership exams (MFSEM) with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. This gives me an unique insight into sporting injuries, training methods sports psychology as well as nutrition. I am a keen runner and still run in the Vets Category for Sale Harriers with a marathon PB of just over 3 hours. I have played a number of different sports at a good level including badminton and squash for my University. I am happy to see patients who have sporting ambitions at any level and are struggling to get back to their sport. You will get honest advice about what can and cannot be done. I understand how important it is for you to be able to continue to do the sport that you love so much and I will do my best to help you achieve this. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. I did my basic Surgical Training (MRCS) in Manchester in 1998. I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I did the Bolton Knee Fellowship, Leicester Hip Fellowship and visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to complete a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed my MFSEM with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2018. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

29th December 2015
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I had my operation and was told before hand exactly what he was planning to do, The after care was great and the staff in Oaklands Hospital were very good. I have been back for my review and the doctor explained what he found and the next steps. very lovely doctor

19th December 2015
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

From the outset I found Mr Batra to be the most patient and knowledgeable doctor. His understanding and expertise in his field (hip and knee replacement specialist) is without doubt second to none. He has the wisdom to listen carefully during discussions and politely share his superior knowledge to eloquently educate his patient whilst not undermining them. It was a pleasure to discuss the various technicalities of my operation with him, to have him listen carefully to my concerns and wild theories of the mechanics of the hip joint, never feeling rushed during consultations and being filled with confidence so much so that I would not want any other surgeon other than Mr Batra to perform these complex procedures on me. I am convinced his expertise led to my amazing recovery post surgery weeks ahead of schedule. His technique of utilising hidden stitches also provided a very neat and minimal scar afterwards. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him to anybody either contemplating or requiring either hip or knee replacement surgery. A remarkable man indeed, to which I am very grateful. Colin McGlashen THR 28/10/15

18th September 2016
Response from Mr Gaurav Batra

A pleasure to help you.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g