Mr Gaurav Batra

I have been a Hip & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon Consultant at Salford Royal Hospital since 2010. I perform Hip and Knee Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, Arthroscopic (keyhole) Hip and Knee Surgery, including ACL reconstruction. I treat people with sports injuries. I am one of few Orthopaedic Consultants in the region who has also completed their Sports Medicine Membership exams (MFSEM) with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. This gives me an unique insight into sporting injuries, training methods sports psychology as well as nutrition. I am a keen runner and still run in the Vets Category for Sale Harriers with a marathon PB of just over 3 hours. I have played a number of different sports at a good level including badminton and squash for my University. I am happy to see patients who have sporting ambitions at any level and are struggling to get back to their sport. You will get honest advice about what can and cannot be done. I understand how important it is for you to be able to continue to do the sport that you love so much and I will do my best to help you achieve this. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. I did my basic Surgical Training (MRCS) in Manchester in 1998. I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I did the Bolton Knee Fellowship, Leicester Hip Fellowship and visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to complete a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed my MFSEM with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2018. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

10th November 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

i can not praise Mr Gaurav Batra enough. In May i had a hip replacement and i have to say it was brilliant, i have been thrilled to bits with what he and his team have done i am totaly pain free. In October i had a knee replacement and i have to say it was explained to me it would be different to the hip and it is. I have to say recovering from the knee has taken slightly longer and again i was told it would be.compared to the hip, but worth it. Mr Batra put me at ease from day one and i was feeling very comfortable from the very 1st appointment right through to comming out of hospital after the op.

1st November 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I think Mr Batra did a great job and I would recommend him to anyone. If ever I needed the other hip doing I would go back to him because he is such an excellent surgeon and gentleman.

24th October 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Mr Batra did a complete knee replacement on my right leg on the 13 of September this year (2018) and I am now driving and doing most of the things that I did before, only now I do them pain free, well almost pain free lol. Mr Batra is a very compassionate man who explains every little detail of what is going to happen before during and after he operates on you. I would and will tell anyone that if you are in pain and are told you need a knee replacement, then ask to speak to Mr Batra, because in my opinion he is one of the best surgeons I have ever come across (and I have had many operations). I would have no qualms about telling people to go to the Oaklands hospital. It is staffed with some wonderful people, everyone from the cleaners, nurses, reception staff to the doctors. If every hospital was as good as here the NHS would never have any bad press. So all in all I can not say anything negative about either Mr Batra, the hospital or my after care, just a very big thank you to all who were involved in my care.

19th October 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Top bloke, explained everything in terms that were appropriate to me. Gave good advice on rehab and realistic expectations of how long I could keep playing the top level of the sport I love. All round the best consultant I’ve had (this was my second knee op, and 4 sport related operation).

16th October 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Mr. Gaurav Batra was at all times professional, informative, courteous and respectful. He informed me clearly of the procedure and gave advice on post op care. Immediately after the op he came to see me. At all times I felt totally confident that I was in safe hands and that the surgery was necessary.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g