Mr Gaurav Batra

I have been a Hip & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon Consultant at Salford Royal Hospital since 2010. I perform Hip and Knee Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, Arthroscopic (keyhole) Hip and Knee Surgery, including ACL reconstruction. I treat people with sports injuries. I am one of few Orthopaedic Consultants in the region who has also completed their Sports Medicine Membership exams (MFSEM) with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. This gives me an unique insight into sporting injuries, training methods sports psychology as well as nutrition. I am a keen runner and still run in the Vets Category for Sale Harriers with a marathon PB of just over 3 hours. I have played a number of different sports at a good level including badminton and squash for my University. I am happy to see patients who have sporting ambitions at any level and are struggling to get back to their sport. You will get honest advice about what can and cannot be done. I understand how important it is for you to be able to continue to do the sport that you love so much and I will do my best to help you achieve this. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. I did my basic Surgical Training (MRCS) in Manchester in 1998. I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I did the Bolton Knee Fellowship, Leicester Hip Fellowship and visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to complete a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed my MFSEM with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2018. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I have had two knee replacements done by Mr Batra. He is very professional in all aspects of his treatment and I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others. Very happy with the result.

Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I had keyhole surgery of my knee by Mr Batra at the Oaklands Hospital. It has been totally effective in getting rid of my symptoms. He made me feel all the way throughout from the first consultation through to the post op follow up. Thanks so much!

Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I had recent ACL reconstruction with Mr Batra early 2017 after playing football. This was my first major surgery for myself, so naturally I was quite apprehensive at the thought of having surgery on the Knee. From consultation to the operating table, Mr Batra always showed a professional and reassuring presence. On the day of the operation Mr. Batra discussed with me the details of the surgical procedure and what would be happening that day. He made the operation very easy to understand in layman's terms and was excellent at dampening any pre-op nerves! It has been 4 1/2 months now since the operation and my knee is well on the way to a full recovery. I seek to play football again and believe the operation has been a huge success and I'll be able to play again, worry free. The scar has healed wonderfully and the knee is feeling strong once again. I have seen Mr. Batra regularly since the operation as routine check up's and the care I have received has been brilliant. Top drawer!

27th May 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

I am a 48 year old male and after having 2 years of pain and not being able to walk no more than 100yds without severe pain.. I went to see dr batra in February 2017 he did an X-ray and told me straight how bad my hip was and that it needed replacing , I was really nervous and anxious but his calmness and knowledge and his honesty really made me feel at ease . I Had the op in April at the spire in Didsbury which was an nice experience I was very well looked after the staff couldn't do enough for me. Dr batra came to see me before the operation to put me at ease and after the op which was really nice . I am now 6 weeks post op and walking pain free no medication the scar is very neat with no complications , I feel like I have got my quality of life back , walking my dog again and feeling good about myself , I have just been to see dr batra for my 6 week check up and he was really pleased with my progress . I can not thank him enough for what he has done and recommend him to anyone needing a hip replacement . Thankyou.. .

24th February 2017
Written by a carer at Oaklands Hospital

My father had a hip replacement done under Mr Batra recently. He is doing very well and his pain and mobility are both much better. He received excellent care!

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g