Mr Gaurav Batra

I have been a Hip & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon Consultant at Salford Royal Hospital since 2010. I perform Hip and Knee Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, Arthroscopic (keyhole) Hip and Knee Surgery, including ACL reconstruction. I treat people with sports injuries. I am one of few Orthopaedic Consultants in the region who has also completed their Sports Medicine Membership exams (MFSEM) with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. This gives me an unique insight into sporting injuries, training methods sports psychology as well as nutrition. I am a keen runner and still run in the Vets Category for Sale Harriers with a marathon PB of just over 3 hours. I have played a number of different sports at a good level including badminton and squash for my University. I am happy to see patients who have sporting ambitions at any level and are struggling to get back to their sport. You will get honest advice about what can and cannot be done. I understand how important it is for you to be able to continue to do the sport that you love so much and I will do my best to help you achieve this. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. I did my basic Surgical Training (MRCS) in Manchester in 1998. I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I did the Bolton Knee Fellowship, Leicester Hip Fellowship and visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to complete a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed my MFSEM with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2018. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

20th July 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I would highly recommend Mr Bates to friends and family, he is very friendly and makes you feel at ease as soon as you meet him. As a surgeon he takes his time to explain your procedure, and does not rush your consultation, and listens to your questions and worries answering them in detail. After my left hip replacement surgery I have no worries or concerns regarding my future surgery on my right hip.

4th July 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Apart from the service I got today from seeing Mr Batra five minutes before my appointment time then an X-ray back in to see Mr Batra I was home within the hour that's good. Mr Batra is a very kind approachable person apart from being very professional, he listens and that's important.

26th June 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I had a hip replacement in May and I have to say I am most grateful to Mr Batra for everything. From first meeting Mr Batra I felt very much at ease. He explained every thing in great detail, explaining pros and cons regards to the operation. I am so grateful I could not thank him enough, in fact saying thanks is not enough. To be free of pain is just wonderful. Thank you once again

20th June 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Mr Batra from my first visit to him, to my surgery and the visit today was extremely courteous, compassionate and highly competent in all aspects of my treatment. I cannot complement or recommend him highly enough. He thoroughly explained what would happen to me before, during and after my surgery and left me in no doubt as to what would happen. This was extremely reassuring to me. Prior to my surgery he examined my x rays, explaining exactly what condition my hip was in. The tried a Steroid injection first. When this was not successful , as he expected, he recommended hip replacement surgery as the only course of action. I was left in no doubt as to why this was required. When I was admitted to hospital he took the trouble to visit me prior to surgery and left me in no doubt as to what would happen and his manner and attitude left me in a totally relaxed frame of mind and confident in my care.

16th June 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I received very good care and attention when I had both knee replacements. I am very happy with the results, now able to enjoy walking again without pain.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g