Mr Gaurav Batra

I am a Consultant Hip, Knee & Trauma Surgeon. I have been a NHS Consultant since 2009. My NHS base is at Salford Royal Hospital and I have private patient admitting rights at The Oaklands Hospital on Lancaster Road in Salford and Spire Manchester Hospital in Didsbury. I perform Hip Replacement, Hip Arthroscopy, Knee Replacement, ACL reconstruction and Arthroscopic (keyhole) Knee Surgery. I also deal with unexplained hip and knee pain where there has been difficulty in making a diagnosis. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. Originally from Lancashire, I returned to the northwest in 1996 for my basic surgical training, which I completed in 1998. From 1999, I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and completed a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed the Bolton Knee Fellowship at the end of my training in 2009 before taking up the Leicester Hip Fellowship. In September 2009 I left Leicester and became a Locum Consultant in the Arthroplasty Unit at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry. In 2010, I was appointed as a Substantive Consultant at the prestigious Salford Royal Hospital.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

20th June 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Mr Batra from my first visit to him, to my surgery and the visit today was extremely courteous, compassionate and highly competent in all aspects of my treatment. I cannot complement or recommend him highly enough. He thoroughly explained what would happen to me before, during and after my surgery and left me in no doubt as to what would happen. This was extremely reassuring to me. Prior to my surgery he examined my x rays, explaining exactly what condition my hip was in. The tried a Steroid injection first. When this was not successful , as he expected, he recommended hip replacement surgery as the only course of action. I was left in no doubt as to why this was required. When I was admitted to hospital he took the trouble to visit me prior to surgery and left me in no doubt as to what would happen and his manner and attitude left me in a totally relaxed frame of mind and confident in my care.

16th June 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I received very good care and attention when I had both knee replacements. I am very happy with the results, now able to enjoy walking again without pain.

28th May 2018
Written by a carer at Salford Royal Hospital

Mr Batra was very understanding and patient with the concerns that my father had regarding his knee replacement. He explained everything in detail which totally reassured my father. I was very impressed with the care that was given to my father .

25th May 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

This is a joint review for my wife and myself as we both had an operation one after another at the same hospital and adjoining rooms. My wife was the first to be diagnose by Mr Batra as this was a hip replacement and not straight forward, however Mr Batra gave her the assurance that she would be much better after the operation and correct the shortening of leg length from the previous operation. Myself it was a straightforward full right knee replacement and from the very first time we met in the diagnostic phase, Mr Batra was found to be very professional yet at the same time caring. This was particularly evident when he arranged for the operations to take place. He even came in specially to see me on a Saturday evening to check everything was alright. We have just been to see Mr Batra on the follow up eight weeks after the operation and all is going well, plus expressing our thanks for successful operations. Once more he showed his professionalism , his caring nature and time was not of an essence for anything else that we discussed. Apparently my other knee wants replacing in the not too distant future and I will have no hesitation in requesting Mr Batra to carry out the operation. Finally mention should be made of the Oakland’s staff who cared for us during the time we were at the hospital.

25th May 2018
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I had an accident in December '17 which left me with very limited movement in my back and pain in my hip preventing me sitting. I went to see Mr Batra in late February in a lot of pain but also very frustrated with NHS action to that point. Mr Batra very quickly arranged the diagnostics that I needed and, seeing the results, personally ensured that I was directed to see a spinal surgeon within a few days. I will always be thankful for his no nonsense approach and his transparent explanation of my situation which both explained the reason for my pain but also put me at ease.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g