Mr Gaurav Batra

I am a Consultant Hip, Knee & Trauma Surgeon. I have been a NHS Consultant since 2009. My NHS base is at Salford Royal Hospital and I have private patient admitting rights at The Oaklands Hospital on Lancaster Road in Salford and Spire Manchester Hospital in Didsbury. I perform Hip Replacement, Hip Arthroscopy, Knee Replacement, ACL reconstruction and Arthroscopic (keyhole) Knee Surgery. I also deal with unexplained hip and knee pain where there has been difficulty in making a diagnosis. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. Originally from Lancashire, I returned to the northwest in 1996 for my basic surgical training, which I completed in 1998. From 1999, I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and completed a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed the Bolton Knee Fellowship at the end of my training in 2009 before taking up the Leicester Hip Fellowship. In September 2009 I left Leicester and became a Locum Consultant in the Arthroplasty Unit at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry. In 2010, I was appointed as a Substantive Consultant at the prestigious Salford Royal Hospital.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

27th May 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

I am a 48 year old male and after having 2 years of pain and not being able to walk no more than 100yds without severe pain.. I went to see dr batra in February 2017 he did an X-ray and told me straight how bad my hip was and that it needed replacing , I was really nervous and anxious but his calmness and knowledge and his honesty really made me feel at ease . I Had the op in April at the spire in Didsbury which was an nice experience I was very well looked after the staff couldn't do enough for me. Dr batra came to see me before the operation to put me at ease and after the op which was really nice . I am now 6 weeks post op and walking pain free no medication the scar is very neat with no complications , I feel like I have got my quality of life back , walking my dog again and feeling good about myself , I have just been to see dr batra for my 6 week check up and he was really pleased with my progress . I can not thank him enough for what he has done and recommend him to anyone needing a hip replacement . Thankyou.. .

24th February 2017
Written by a carer at Oaklands Hospital

My father had a hip replacement done under Mr Batra recently. He is doing very well and his pain and mobility are both much better. He received excellent care!

18th February 2017
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

Do not hesitate to choose Mr Batra for your surgery. My total hip replacement was 8 weeks ago and I am now taking daily walks, no painkillers and completely pain free. Moreover, my scar is neat & healed very quickly. From our first consultation I was confident that Mr Batra had my best interests in mind; he listened intently & gave sound advice to all of my queries with affability and professionalism. Above all, I knew from that day that Mr Batra saw me as a whole person..not just a hip!! Many thanks Mr B.

8th February 2017
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

On my first meeting with Mr Batra - he explained everything about the procedure and the expected recovery. I was very nervous on the day of my operation - however once I went to the theatre I was reassured. I had an epidural an was awake throughout the operation - the anaesthetist was really good and constantantly checked I was ok. After the operation I went on the ward. Mr Batra came to see me the next day to see how I was getting on. Again he explained what had been done and told me the operation went well. I was discharged from the hospital (Oaklands) on the 4th day. The wound was very neat and clean. I have had physio and made sure I have kept up with the exercise as instructed by Mr Batra. I returned to the hospital after 8 weeks had past which was on 1/2/2017 - Mr Batra looked at the x-ray taken after the op and explained what a good fit the replacement was. He was also very pleased with my progress and the movement I have. Before I am fully discharged I will see Mr Batra again in November which will be 12 months after the operation. The scar on my knee is unbelievably neat. Apart from being an excellent surgeon I found Mr Batra to be very honest and caring. The fact that he came to see me after the operation and seeing him last week after 8 weeks and then seeing him at the end of this year makes me as a patient feel that I matter. I was really nervous going into hospital for this operation but after this experience I wouldn't be nervous for any future procedures - especially if Mr Batra is the surgeon. Thank you very much Mr Batra!

8th February 2017
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I have had a full knee replacement done by Mr Batra with excellent results! I have had a very good experience with very good after care. Can't recommend highly enough.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra: http://iwgc.net/eew2g