Mr Furrat Amen FRCS(ORL-HNS) DOHNS MSc DIC DCC(Paris)

Furrat Amen is a Consultant ENT/Head and Neck, and Thyroid surgeon at Peterborough City Hospital and Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. He trained in all aspects of ENT surgery in London and Paris. Website www.entdoc.co.uk. He studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London followed by training in ENT at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford. He was a Specialist Registrar in the North Thames London Rotation based at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, Royal Marsden Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital, London. He completed genetics research at the Hammersmith Hospital, London, and was awarded a Masters degree in Surgical Sciences from Imperial College, London. He was the international head and neck cancer surgical fellow at the Institut Gustave Roussy, Paris, France’s national and international referral centre for cancer and thyroid surgery and was awarded the Diploma of Head and Neck Cancer Studies at the University of Paris. His main interests are all forms of adult and paediatric ENT Surgery, head and neck cancer and thyroid surgery, and translational genetics cancer research allowing for personalised cancer treatment. He enjoys travelling, graphics design and modern architecture. He is married with two young children. Mr Amen enjoys travelling, graphics design and modern architecture. He is married with two young children.

12th September 2018
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

It is not often that you can say that going to Hospital was a pleasure, but today was one of those days, after eight years of frustration. Following Surgery in late August for a Partial Thyriodectomy, due to a Tumour that was diagnosed at another Hospital. I got fed up with them saying that they would monitor it whist it slowly grew, and would do nothing for me, due to my weight. I requested a second opinion with my G.P, who referred me to Mr Amen at Addenbrook's, from the very first meeting he was calm and caring and listened to what I had to say, and appreciated my point of view, that if the other Hospital could knock me out for Bariatric Surgery, then why could they not remove the tumour that they could not guarantee was benign. Mr Amen reassured both My Wife and I, that if he thought that it needed to come out, then that was what he would do, after taking a biopsy and other tests including lung and cardiac functions, as well as dealing with sleep apnoea that I never even knew that I had, he operated on me as he said he was. Despite complications in Surgery, as my thyroid was lower than expected and further back that normal, he removed half of my thyroid without any damage to my vocal cords, or the surrounding nerves. Today he confirmed that the tumour was after all benign, and that I should have a Full recovery, but would like to see me in three months, for a blood test and checks just to make sure. He could not have been nicer or kinder if he had tried, in my eyes and my Wife's, he is an absolute star.

5th September 2018
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

I have recently undergone an operation which had serious consequences. Mr Amen was my consultant and I owe my life to him. He spent a day in theatre putting his amazing skills and experience into action doing a very difficult operation. A big thank you Mr Amen from myself and family.

24th August 2018
Written by a patient at Peterborough City Hospital

In 2015 Mr Amen confirmed I had cancerous lesions on my left vocal chord, this followed removal of a polyp by a different consultant. He lasered these but was not satisfied that all had been removed. Mr Amen put me on twenty sessions of radiotherapy at Addenbrooks in Cambridge. A bit gruelling but it cleared it up. I might add the staff at Addenbrooks were brilliant. Last year during a routine vocal cord check Mr Amen noted that I had Rhinophyma, an unpleasant disfiguring condition affecting my nose. This was dealt with using a CO2 laser. The result is excellent. Mr Amen is very professional and a supremely competent surgeon but with a subtle droll sense of humour which my wife and I found very reassuring. Thank you, thank you NHS.

10th August 2018
Written by a patient at Fitzwilliam Hospital

I was cared for by Mr Amen for nodules on my thyroid and subsequent hemithyroidectomy. From our first consultation he was approachable, curtious and supportive. He listened to my concerns and gave reassurance which inspired trust and confidence in his ability to care for me. He has a great deal of experience in his field of medication and this showed in his confidence and ability to explain in detail what could be expected from my surgury. He is a true gentleman and I would recommend him for his manner, skill and professionalism. The staff and facilities at the Fitzwilliam hospital was superb.

5th July 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

I was struggling with various issues relating to frequent blocked nose,irritable stomach and headaches. This was badly impacting my lifestyle and so I consulted several GPs and ENT consultants to make sense of these. Eventually I was referred for a Septoplasty surgery at Addenbrookes to sort out my nasal issue. But due to the long wait I visited Dr Amen as a private patient at Spire-Lea to get a second opinion. After a thorough examination and tests he ruled out sinusitis and concluded that Septoplasty would not have actually solved my nasal block issue! Thanks to Dr Amen, I now know my options and am glad to have skipped unwanted surgery. Dr Amen created a structured plan to tackle the various issues and I am now making steady progress. He is truly professional, very meticulous, friendly,courteous and caring. He followed up on my progress even outside his working hours and was very reassuring at every step along the way. I would highly recommend Dr Amen !

Short link to review Mr Furrat Amen FRCS(ORL-HNS) DOHNS MSc DIC DCC(Paris): http://iwgc.net/efmjj