Mr Furrat Amen FRCS(ORL-HNS) DOHNS MSc DIC DCC(Paris)

Furrat Amen is a Consultant ENT/Head and Neck, and Thyroid surgeon at Peterborough City Hospital and Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. He trained in all aspects of ENT surgery in London and Paris. Website www.entdoc.co.uk. He studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London followed by training in ENT at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford. He was a Specialist Registrar in the North Thames London Rotation based at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, Royal Marsden Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital, London. He completed genetics research at the Hammersmith Hospital, London, and was awarded a Masters degree in Surgical Sciences from Imperial College, London. He was the international head and neck cancer surgical fellow at the Institut Gustave Roussy, Paris, France’s national and international referral centre for cancer and thyroid surgery and was awarded the Diploma of Head and Neck Cancer Studies at the University of Paris. His main interests are all forms of adult and paediatric ENT Surgery, head and neck cancer and thyroid surgery, and translational genetics cancer research allowing for personalised cancer treatment. He enjoys travelling, graphics design and modern architecture. He is married with two young children. Mr Amen enjoys travelling, graphics design and modern architecture. He is married with two young children.

8th December 2018
Written by a patient at Peterborough City Hospital

I recently had surgery for total thyroidectomy under the care of Mr Furrat Amen at Peterborough City Hospital. During consultation I found Mr Amen to be nothing short of professional and exceptional on every level. I was fully informed of my treatment plan and always given the opportunity to raise any questions or concerns. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to members of the clinical team who played a part in my journey at PHC. To Marcin, Mr Amen’s colleague, the anaesthetist, the theatre member of staff who sat with me in recovery, the nursing team - thank you all. As an employee of the NHS myself, I am truly humbled by the level of care I received, and my recent experience re-inforces my belief that I have been fortunate and privileged to experience a great example of the NHS at its best. Once again, thank you Mr Amen for your kind and professional help, it will always be remembered. Anna-Maria Johnson

1st December 2018
Written by a patient at Peterborough City Hospital

Thankful for being placed in the care of Dr Amen. This resulted in an exacting operation which eventually has given me my life back. My symptoms grew over a two year period, were choking and i couldn't breath well and not at all if I lay flat. Resulting in being very tied waking up choking if i slipped off my props to keep me upright as i slept, and only able to undertake small jobs as a decorator. Each night i wondered if it would be my last as the choking was quite frightening. A larger sub sternal goiter and large thyroid noduals were restricting my wind pipe and breathing, was finally diagnosed. Yes each visit to END department was running late but we soon gathered that when we eventually saw the consultant it would be worth the wait, we would have his full attention and the matters in hand would be delt with he listens as if we were his only patient. Yes i did have my operation cancelled at the last minute twice due to bed capacity on critiical care. But Dr Amen was as frustrated as us, our clearly as disappointed as we were and explored every possibile avenue to solve the situation, but we were confident, and they displayed to us and explained that they had our best interests at heart, both anesthetist having to handle my heart condition and pacemaker and consultant Dr Amen carrying out the surgery were outstanding in their professions. We would rather wait than have to be put in any other surgens hands. They inspired us with confidence and assurance along the journey. On the day of the operation we were delighted with the team effort, we were advised of the complexity and challenges of both the anesthetist and consultants jobs, the outcome being the best hoped for in both departments due I'm sure the the high standards and excellance of Dr Amen our consultant who believed he should first attempt to remove the goitre without opening up my chest, with all that entails and i am sure it was his expeptonal skills that saved me having to undergo a more intrusive operation. Three days in the critical care department which is a credit to the hospital and went home after four days of exceptional standard of care. Thank you Peterborough city hospital and especially Dr Amen i can breath again. Lie flat again. Am full of energy and with a full work diary, am enjoying a return to life that i never thought i would get back. I am very grateful to have been a patient in Dr Amens safe hands Michael Peterborough

22nd November 2018
Written by a patient at Fitzwilliam Hospital

Calm, efficient, explains in lay terms. Obviously competent and confidant but not at all arrogant. My condition was completely new to me, but although he has probably dealt with thousands of similar cases he took the time to explain what was happening/why/and how he (and I) was going to improve the situation. Thank you so much.

16th November 2018
Written by a patient at Fitzwilliam Hospital

I can highly recommend Mr Amen who quickly diagnosed my problem which another specialist had failed to do so. I was treated as a human being and the advise I was given has proved invaluable. I have a great respect for Mr Amen and the way he treated me.

15th November 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

I had no symptoms for any sickness, I was absolutely healthy, just a small lump on my neck appeared suddenly and I was diagnosed with a medullary carcinoma on my thyroid, one of the very serious, rare, But very scary type of cancer. I did my research and contacted Dr. Amen, hoping he can help me. I had email correspondence with Dr. Amen for 2 months prior to surgery and he was precise and very polite in answering all my questions in dept. I traveled all the way from Bulgaria to see him, and Dr. Amen performed 7 hours surgery on my neck. He did outstanding job; I recovered with no complications at all!, I was able to eat and walk 10 hours after the surgery; Dr. Amen assured me I am back to normal life in 2 weeks; No need for diet or any restrictions on any of my job duties, etc... He was absolutely honest explaining me all about my cancer case, the surgery to be performed with the smallest details before, during and after it. After the surgery, he visited me every day at the hospital, including on Sunday to check on me; It was very, very kind of him; I am positive not too many doctors do this gesture for their patients! I and my wife - We are totally convinced and calm; I am 100% cancer clean, as Dr. Amen assured us - he did his best for me! He even arranged the following genetic test for me, even though I am a private patient. I cannot express with simple words How much thankful I am, for I am living a second Life Thanks to Dr. Furrat Amen!!! God Bless you Sir! May God give you many, many years of good health and more! - So you can safe a lots of people's life! Thank You from all my Heart!

Short link to review Mr Furrat Amen FRCS(ORL-HNS) DOHNS MSc DIC DCC(Paris): http://iwgc.net/efmjj