Mr Ewan Bigsby

Mr Ewan Bigsby, is an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in upper limb surgery. He works in NHS hospitals (Cheltenham General Hospital and Gloucester Royal Hospital) as well as private hospitals (Nuffield Health Hospital Cheltenham and Winfield Hospital Gloucester). He routinely manages general trauma as well as specialising in the treatment of sports and degenerative conditions affecting the soft tissues and joints of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.

8th November 2019

My experience with Mr Ewan Bigsby from the start has been very good. I found him totally honest with my assessment and the prognosis. After several years of shoulder pain working as a builder I made the decision get this sorted out. My GP referred me to Mr Ewan Bigsby. He first sent for a scan of my shoulder, the scan showed a complete tear of my rotator cuff and some other damage. He was honest with me regarding the length of time elapsed since I had had my accident explaining the degrading of the muscle involve. He was happy to go ahead with the surgery suggesting a repair with use of a graft.but left the decision up to me. The pain I had been going through for some years and I would describe pain level as anything from 7,8,9 /10. I knew I would go for this even if there was a lower chance of success, just because of the pain I was going through. Surgery day was 30th September 2019 at Cheltenham hospital. On the day prior to my op we had a catch up and Mr Ewan Bigsby went over things and answered any Q's I might have. I asked him honestly that if it proved to difficult to make a decent repair that he would just close up without any repair being made (this is so I could return to work after a few days). He acknowledged my request, thanked me and told me not to worry. Op was a little longer than expected and Mr Ewan Bigsby visited my bed later that day and said he was quite pleased with the surgery. I stayed in hospital one night and returned home with my arm in a fixed sling and pain relief medicine. The pain managed Easily for the first week with the pain relief. I stopped taking medication after first week due to the unwanted side effects with just occasional morphine. Within X2 week I was almost completely pain free. This is my experience and I guess everyone's experience will be different. I am now X3 days away from starting my physio and losing this cumbersome cushion attached to my sling. If you having this type of surgery and lucky enough, like me to have Mr Ewan Bigsby, as your surgeon you are in very good hands. Good luck. M. Byfield

5th October 2019

Mr Bigsby was very understanding about my condition. Very polite and well mannered. His pre/post operation care was excellent he answered any questions I had and always explained every part of what was happening throughout my operations.

Written by a patient at The Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital
2nd September 2019

After several years of shoulder issues which were not resolved by physiotherapy I went to Mr Bigsby. After examination and MRI scan Mr Bigsby explained in detail the issues I had with my shoulder and the options going forward. I went with his recommendation of surgery to repair tears to the rotator cuff and decompression. I would not hesitate to recommend Mr Bigsby for his surgical skills and patient care. 5 months on I am making great progress with the rehab and no longer suffer from any pain in the shoulder.

26th June 2019

he has a very calming manor which makes it easy to under stand

5th June 2019

Mr Bigsby Operated on my Wrist for Carpal Tunnel and it has been perfect since. First operated on and home by 10.30 Am.Fabulous service. Thank you very much.

Short link to review Mr Ewan Bigsby: http://iwgc.net/ehk29