Mr Ernest Schilders

Written by a patient at Yorkshire Clinic
4th September 2020

I'm a 29 years old professional athltete (Handball) from Switzerland and am playing for the best swiss team and the swiss national team. in the beginning of October 2018 I injured myself in a championsleague game. I immediately knew that there was something seriously wrong with my groin area. I wasn't even able to walk or do simple tasks like going to the toilet. In Switzerland we consulted the most reknown doctors for this type of injuries. Three different doctors resulted in three different diagnosis which had me really confused. The fourth doctor from Zurich recommended me that I'd contact supposedly one of the best doctors in the world concerning the groin/hip area. Today I can say, he's not one of the best, but to me, the best doctor - Dr. prof. Ernest Schilders. In Switzerland everyone told me that we have the best doctors here, so why go to England. But my intuition didn't fool me. After only having seen my MRIs and not myself, he had already made the right diagnosis (avulsion of the adductor longus fibrocartilage). He really dealt with my problem and invested a lot of time to explain every single detail to me, even though I was still in Switzerland. Being a professional athlete, he recommended to operate, because our bodies have to withstand alot. I decided to go to England and everything went perfect. Dr. prof. Ernest Schilders gave me a detailed 12-week therapy schedule which was brilliant for my perfect recovery. During my rehabilitation we were in constant contact (concerning wound, mobility etc.), which was a service that I hadn't expexted. Overall I think it's the best decision I've ever made - he saved my career. I would recommend Dr. prof. Ernest to everyone and am still impressed with how much and how competent he could help me. He really is the best in the world!

Written by a patient at Fortius Clinic
3rd September 2020

I was introduced to Prof Schilders about 6 years ago by a physiotherapist, as I had trouble with the origin to my hamsting, which was painful. This had been treated by other medical professionals over time, but was still troubling me. It was a long-term running injury. After having a scan, surgery was recommended (which I had had before). I underwent the surgery and once I had recovered the pain had diminished considerably. I saw Prof Schilders a year ago for another sports injury - pain in my hip, which had gone on for some time and which was noticeable when I walked up stairs. After having a scan, Prof Schilders diagnosed a tear of my gluteus medius. He tried an injection, but the pain did not diminish. I then underwent surgery to repair the tear. Following the surgery, I did the specific exercises he recommended and continued doing these for a year. I saw him for post-operative reviews, and on the anniversary of my surgery and the hip pain has gone completely. As a result, I am able to exercise again (cycling, spinning, swimming & gym). I have been impressed with Prof Schilders knowledge, ability, and down to earth approach to sports injuries. He did not push me into surgery, but offered alternatives, so surgery was the last option. I would recommend him without reservation.

Written by a patient at Fortius Clinic
30th June 2020

Professor Schilders was recommended to me via another doctor to give me a second opinion, as an international expert in hip problems who sees many premier league and champions league football players. I travelled to see him in London, and his secretary was very helpful in guiding me with directions and ringing the clinic when I was running late as my train was delayed. I saw him at the Fortius clinic and interestingly the receptionist told me he's one of the busiest surgeons there! He took a long time to listen to my concerns- I've had the issues for many years and the most recent consultant I saw advised me that I needed a hip replacement. I wanted to avoid having a hip replacement as I'm still in my 50's and very active. Professor Schilders took his time to ask me many questions about how my hip pain affects my life, and did further tests that I had not been previously offered including a special type of CT to look at the shape of my hip joints. He saw me again after that and we discussed all the options in detail and he gave me a leaflet with the information. I had a labral tear with cartilage damage in my right hip, in part because of the shape of my hip. He performed an arthroscopy on me and it has transformed my life! I followed his excellent program and 6 months down the line and I feel like I've turned back the clock! I'm back to going running and playing tennis, and am delighted with my hip. I've seen him for a follow-up appointments and I'm immensely grateful for his expertise and the kindness he showed me and for saving me from a hip replacement! Thank you Professor Schilders, you have been truly wonderful.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery