mr-erlick-pereira

26th September 2022

A gentleman with great skill who acted with professionalism to whom I am very grateful.

22nd June 2022

I am just back from my follow-up consultation with Mr Pereira after my surgery and would like to share what a great and life-changing experience it has been. Mr Pereira operated me to remove a benign intradural spinal cord tumor just two weeks ago. For four month prior to the surgery I have been suffering from unbearable radiating rib pain, weakness and numbness in my legs and restricted feet motion. After I did MRI - Mr Pereira gave me exhaustive overview about my condition. He explained the risks of further tumor growth and how surgery can help. I was impressed with how detailed and careful Mr Pereira was with describing all the risks and benefits of the surgery. Mr Pereira always invited me to ask any questions I may have and I felt comfortable addressing any smallest doubts. Even though I was terrified by the diagnosis and oncoming surgery, consultation with Mr Pereira have me more confidence and comfort to move ahead. The waiting time for the surgery has been the hardest emotionally, so I hope these comments will help and support others who are about to go through similar experience. I am incredibly happy to share that my surgery went very well and most of the symptoms cleared in the first couple of days. I am now back to normal life apart from sports that will take a bit longer to come back to. I couldn’t imagine the surgery to go smoother than it has. I had my surgery at London Spine Clinic where Mr Pereira came to see me prior to my surgery and then couple more times during five days of my inpatient stay. I spent first night in ICU (as planned for close supervision), managed to sit down on day 2 and stand up on day 3. Every day I felt very well cared of by the nurses and physio therapist. There hasn’t been a time when any of my need hasn’t been addressed by the stuff. Mr Pereira also made a very important extra step for me. Since I am living in London by myself with whole of my family abroad, they were not able to be there with me and were extremely worried. Mr Pereira informed my family that everything went well by phone message, which was a huge relief for them as I couldn’t get access to my own phone for a couple of hours post surgery. I wish everyone to have the same smooth experience as I had with Mr Pereira! I am grateful beyond words for having my normal pain-free life back!

28th January 2022

Just a short note to say thank you very much for performing my Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery. You are a remarkable surgeon who has given me a new lease of life. The level of care I received during my four days at the clinic was outstanding and I cannot stress enough on how the team from you the surgeon to the nurses were dedicated 100% to their task and made this procedure a success. I would also like to thank all of the team including the anaesthetist, doctors and surgery nurses and a special mention to the nurses in the Intensive Care Unit Jenny, Jay and Lourdes to name a few who really looked after me. The device was activated on 21 December 2021. Immediately after the procedure even at a low setting I could feel the benefit and I continue to enjoy this incredible improvement in my quality of life. My sincere gratitude

Written by a NHS patient at St George's Hospital
25th January 2022

Dear Mr Pereira, I can hardly believe that it is a week since I was lying on the operating table, head locked firmly in place, aware of the hand drill going though the skull, a moment of discomfort, then hands in the air. Counting backwards, speaking gibberish, trying to make sense, then the right hand not shaking and counting again. All good, aware of you and Mike Hart discussing the position of the lesion, good to go. Safe. Reassuring. Before I know it it's all over, I have no tremor on the right side of my body. and that is quite simply amazing. To have normality restored to that side has triggered many small improvements in mobility such as dressing, washing and generally doing things with the right hand. I had a pain in my right side every time I got up from a chair, It's gone. I guess it's going to take the body and the brain some time to adjust. I have a balance issue, not that I can't stand or walk but a general feeling of unsteadiness. My writing is barely legible, my speech is sometime mumbled and if I was being overly pessimistic I'd say that I've lost my sense of rhythm and it takes time to put my thoughts together. But all of this, I feel, will improve and none of it affects the sense of well being that I experience every day since the procedure. For that I have you and your team to thank. For your professionalism, training and confidence in what you are able to do. To you, Mr Pereira, Mike Hart, Consultant Neurosurgeon Dr Frantzais- Neurosurgery SpR, Anaesthetist Dr Tan, and specialist nurse Alison Leake you all have my sincere and grateful thanks. I look forward to seeing you in due course for the follow up post surgery debrief, and if you've got any video footage of the test phase of the procedure I'd love to see it. Yours aye,

18th January 2022

I was fortunate to meet Mr Erlick Pereira when I had to undergo emergency surgery on my spine. I was found to be suffering with Cauda Equina Syndrome caused by a prolapsed disc. I was admitted through A&E and was brought in for surgery that following day. He solved the issues and I had follow ups with him under my private healthcare at the London Spine Clinic. As I had two prolapsed discs with many years unfortunately the second disc started to cause me severe pain with sciatica and lower back pain I had to undergo a second surgery two years after the first. I was again looked after by Mr Pereira at the LSC and again he did a fantastic job. He was informative and his work is seamless. My scar is tiny and so neat. I could not be more grateful to him and his team. I'm finally free of severe pain and absolutely sciatica free for the first time in years. Yes there are residual issues but time is a healer and I know for sure with the ongoing visits to LSC for Physio will get me 100%, along with dedication from myself to ensure I do the exercises set out for me.

• Neurosurgery
  • Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Pain medicine

Mr. Pereira is a London Consultant Neurosurgeon who sees patients at St George's University Hospital, London Spine Clinic and The London Clinic. He has a broad practice of brain, spine and peripheral nerve surgery. He is dual-trained in complex spinal surgery, having trained in neurosurgery at the Oxford John Radcliffe followed by an orthopaedic complex spinal surgery fellowship in Guy’s and St Thomas’. He has special interests in all surgeries for severe chronic pain and cancer pain, spinal cord and dorsal root ganglion stimulation for pain, complex spinal surgery from slipped discs to trauma, tumour and minimally invasive surgery and general brain surgery including trauma, benign lesions, vascular problems and hydrocephalus. He is the lead clinician for functional neurosurgery at St George’s and performed its first deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders, pain and epilepsy operations.

Nearest Neurosurgeons