mr-edward-dawe

Written by a NHS patient at The Chichester Nuffield Hospital
11th May 2021

Got referred to see Mr Dawes by the NHS after damaging my ankle and suffering with pain for over 3 years. From my first consulatation with Mr Dawes he filled me with confidence that he could do something about my pain and was straight forward about the treatment I would receive. After looking at my injury he gave me two options he thought would work. My first option was an injection to see if over a month or two would help reduce my pain in my ankle. I was over the moon something might finally help with the pain but Mr Dawes explained this first option doesn't always work and I admired how open and honest he was about it ,therefore not allowing me to get my hopes up if it was unsuccessful. Unfortunately the injection didn't work but before I knew it Mr Dawes had me booked in for an operation to fix the problem. a couple of months later I was in and out of hospital the same day and able to walk on my ankle after. The service I received whilst in hospital was amazing, Mr Dawes and the staff at Chichester Nuffield Hospital were so supportive and talked me through every step on my operation and the after care was spot on. After a month of physiotherapy I am now able to run on my ankle pain free. 3 years of pain and he was able to sort my problem within a couple of months. I had two follow up consultations with Mr Dawes before being discharged from his care. I am now running and back to normal all thanks to the treatment and care I received.

Written by a NHS patient at St Richard's Hospital
28th April 2021

Mr Dawe is a thoughtful, charming man with a great sense of humour and an obvious enthusiasm for his work. I felt very safe under his care and was greatly impressed by his skills and knowledge. The ankle replacement operation went well and the aftermath was pain free. I am so pleased Mr Dawe was my consultant.

Written by a private patient at The Chichester Nuffield Hospital
15th February 2021

I received excellent care as a day patient involving a procedure for a long term ankle problem. Mr Dawe identified and dealt with the problem with the minimum of fuss and I am walking pain free after a long time. I have no hesitation in recommending Mr Dawe to anyone with a foot or ankle problem.

Written by a NHS patient at St Richard's Hospital
13th February 2021

I was in pain for many years following a badly broken ankle 25 years ago. Approx six years ago I was told I needed an ankle replacement. However if this was found not to be possible during the operation, it would have to be fused whereby the foot is left in a fixed position. This was not an option for me. Meanwhile, because the good ankle had been compensating for the bad one for so long, it had also become extremely painful. This had a serious effect on my quality of life. Following an appointment with my GP I had a meeting in 2018 with Mr Dawe at St Richards hospital in Chichester. He arranged for CT scans to be done on both feet. He assured me that he only operated from CT scans and that I would know exactly what was to be done before going into theatre. He immediately made me feel at ease. I felt able to ask questions dispersing any doubts that I had. During our conversation I realised that I could really trust Mr Dawe. He told me that he had spent many years just learning to replace ankles!! Hearing this filled me with confidence and took away any fears. In 2019 he replaced my right ankle and in 2020 the left one. On both occasions I was driving approx 6 weeks later. I am extremely grateful for the care that I received. My quality of life has improved and it is wonderful to be I pain free. Thank you so much Mr Dawe.

Written by a private patient at The Chichester Nuffield Hospital
29th January 2021

I was first referred to Edward following an accident at work which resulted in my foot needing complex fusion surgery. From the first time meeting Edward I felt I was in extremely good hands and even with the state my foot was in had confidence that even though I was to expect a long bumpy road that Edward was the person that could put this right head and shoulders above anyone else. When told by my insurance company that theywould arrange surgery, I point blank refused and informed them that I would only consider Edward to perform this surgery, no it's no buts. I am so pleased I stuck to my guns. After what in Edwards words himself was a lot of work on my foot involving plates and screws to hold everything together, 12 weeks on I feel I am making huge progress which was also confirmed by Edward at our last consultation. To be brutally honest I was never sure I would walk normally or without pain again following this injury but Edward put my mind at ease every step of the way and I am amazed at what has been achieved. Words could not express my gratitude as after a year I can now finally start planning to get my life back on track. Edward is a lovely guy not to mention the top surgeon in his field, I only have good things to say. Thank you for fixing me !!

Mr Edward Dawe was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Mr Dawe is a consultant orthopaedic and trauma surgeon specialising in disorders of the foot and ankle. He treats orthopaedic trauma, as well as a wide variety of foot and ankle pathologies such as bunions, lesser toe problems, arthritis, flat or high-arched feet, foot complications of diabetes and complex revision surgery of all types. Mr Dawe uses numerous techniques to help with foot and ankle problems and is often able to avoid surgery. Where surgery is needed, arthroscopic or ‘keyhole’ techniques or minimally invasive surgery can often be used to improve the experience and recovery time after surgery. Mr Dawe completed his training in South West London, during which he worked for numerous different foot and ankle surgeons in London, Sussex and Surrey. He broadened his experience with limb reconstruction and complex trauma fellowship at St George's Hospital with Alex Trompeter and, following this, a second year-long fellowship in foot and ankle surgery at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital with Heath Taylor. Mr Dawe was awarded the BOFAS visiting fellowship in 2014, travelling to the Schonklinik in Munich in order to work with Prof Markus Walther, president of the German foot and ankle society. He also travelled to Regions Trauma Centre in Minneapolis to visit the renowned trauma specialist professor Peter Cole. Mr Dawe works as a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon in West Sussex. He has been involved in developing the future of his specialty, publishing numerous research papers and having been awarded first prizes for his work at national and international meetings. His published papers focus on the outcomes of surgery, dignity, and patient experience of care. He is regularly involved in the teaching of medical students and in the training of orthopaedic surgeons of the future. Professional memberships: BOFAS, BOA

Short link to review Mr Edward Dawe: http://iwgc.net/ehos3