Mr Dilogen De Alwis

• Ophthalmology

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Old Cottage Hospital Surgery

I was offered eye appointment with Dr Alwis 8-9 weeks in advance. I reached 10 minutes before the scheduled time and after waiting for well over 50 minutes, I was informed that they are experiencing technical difficulties! Even then I was in wait for couple of patients ahead in the queue. I have only one question to the professionals who manage this surgery. “How would you feel if every patients start turning up 45 minutes late to the appointments?” People have real jobs and important life outside and only visit surgery unless it is absolutely essential. Respect time for others as you would wish your own time to be respected. I left the surgery after one hour of waiting as I chose to keep my professional appointment at the scheduled hour. Whilst attempt can be made to explain this is a “one-off isolated incident”, which it is not the case at all. My experience of waiting for an hour for a scheduled appointment is almost routine at this surgery. Today I am without an appointment and no consultation. If this is the NHS we pay our taxes for and medical professional rewarded for; then it is failed system and an appalling monopolistic service. I hope someone in your team reviews the performance as I would not hesitate to escalate the issues at the CPC or further if required.