Mr David Ratliff was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.
- General surgery
- Vascular and Transplant Surgery
Mr David Ratliff
MB ChB, MD, FRCP, FRCS (Eng & Ed)
• General surgery
• Endocrine (thyroid and parathyroid) surgery
• Laparoscopic surgery
• Vascular surgery
Areas of interest
• Laparoscopic inguinal hernia and sports hernia repair
• Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal by keyhole surgery)
• Hernia repairs of all types including inguinal, femoral, epigastric and umbilical hernia repair under GA and LA
• Thyroid nodule
• Thyroid cancer
• Thyroid surgery
• Parathyroid surgery
• Varicose vein treatments of all types, especially the Venefit procedure (keyhole surgery) and injection sclerotherapy
• Microsclerotherapy (cosmetic injection treatment) of spider and thread veins • Vascular access including Portacath and Groshong line insertion
• Excision of lumps and bumps
• Botox injection for axillary hyperhidrosis (excess sweating)
• Abscess, incision and drainage
• Anal fistula surgery
• Botox injections for hyperhidrosis
• Central lymph node excision
• Cervical lymph node biopsy
• Duplex scan
• Epigastric hernia repair
• Excision of lumps and bumps
• Excision and primary closure of pilonidal sinus
• Excision of thyroglossal cyst
• Femoral hernia repair
• Fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules
• Groshong line, insertion
• Groshong line, removal
• Incisional hernia repair
• Inguinal hernia repair, under general or local anaesthetic
• Injection of haemorrhoids
• Injection sclerotherapy of varicose veins
• Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
• Laparoscopic division of adhesions
• Laparoscopic femoral hernia repair
• Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
• Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair
• Lateral internal sphincterotomy for anal fissure
• Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy
• Open cholecystectomy
• Paraumbilical hernia repair
• Partial thyroidectomy
• Portacath, insertion
• Portacath, removal
• Removal of benign skin lesions
• Sports hernia repair
• Surgery for pilonidal sinus
• Thyroid lobectomy
• Total thyroidectomy
• Umbilical hernia repair
• Venefit procedure (keyhole surgery, radiofrequency ablation) for varicose veins
• Varicose vein surgery of all types, including for recurrent varicose veins
Current consultant NHS hospital held
• Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
• MB ChB University of Birmingham 1977
• MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1980
• FRCS Royal College of Surgeons 1982
• FRCS Ed Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1982
• MD University of Birmingham 1985
• FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2001
• Fellow in Vascular Surgery University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 1990-91
Details of entry to Specialist Register
• General Surgery, 1991
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Surgeons of England
• Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
• Royal College of Physicians
• British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
• Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland
David Ratliff is a very experienced general, endocrine, laparoscopic and vascular surgeon with over 27 years experience as a consultant in these fields. He was initially a consultant at the Leicester Royal Infirmary from 1991-94 and then moved to Northampton where he has been working at the Northampton General (NGH) and BMI Three Shires Hospitals since 1994.
During his career David has led the progressive development and delivery of the general, endocrine and vascular surgical services in Northampton as high quality services with very good outcomes and a national reputation for clinical excellence.
He has extensive experience in managing all general surgical conditions including hernias, gallbladder disease, anorectal problems including haemorrhoids and anal fissure, abdominal pain, pilonidal sinus and removal of lumps and bumps. He is an expert in laparoscopic cholecystectomy, laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair and hernia repairs of all types.
David is a high volume endocrine surgeon, carrying out surgery for benign thyroid disease, thyroid cancer and parathyroid surgery with excellent results and an activity in the top 10-15% procedures nationally. He is a leading specialist in the management of thyroid cancer.
He has extensive experience in the diagnosis and management of all vascular problems including circulatory and venous conditions. He is an expert in the treatment of varicose veins by keyhole surgery and injection sclerotherapy, and also of spider and thread veins. He has wide experience in vascular access and the insertion of portacaths and central lines for chemotherapy.
He led the vascular service at NGH for over 20 years, introducing a wide range of new procedures and the latest technology and techniques. This resulted in major improvements and the formation of the Northamptonshire Vascular Service in 2012 with Northampton as the vascular centre.
David has maintained a strong commitment to high professional standards and continuing professional development with up-to-date specialist knowledge throughout his career. He was an Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons and Intercollegiate Specialty Board in General Surgery for 16 years and Clinical Director of the Department of Surgery at NGH from 2001-2005. He has also maintained an active interest in clinical research and has been the author of over 35 publications.
He was awarded a National Silver Award for Clinical Excellence in 2008 and before that a National Bronze Award for Clinical Excellence in 2004.
David’s approach is very professional and patient-focussed. He communicates well and keeps you fully informed and involved in decision making at every stage. He concentrates his considerable knowledge and experience to offer you his opinion and expert treatment, based on your needs and requirements. His primary objective is to provide his patients with the best possible outcomes for their problems.
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
• Examiner, Intercollegiate Specialty Board in General Surgery, 2013-2017
• Chair, East Midlands Thyroid Cancer Sub-Group, 2010-2013
• Endocrine surgery
• General surgery
• Vascular surgery
I am married with two children. As well as spending time with my family I enjoy tennis, skiing, sailing and travel.
David was awarded a National Silver Award for Clinical Excellence in 2008 and a National Bronze Award for Clinical Excellence in 2004.
Nearest General surgeons
Nearest Vascular and transplant surgeons
Short link to review Mr David Ratliff: http://iwgc.net/eedg